Wildlife agents to kill bear that attacked man

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Originally posted by: LoKe
Kill it. I'm generally against killing animals, but this one attacked a person, and whether anyone wants to admit it or not, we're on top. It's not terribly unlikely to happen again.

I see where you're coming from. It doesn't matter who's on top or not, this has nothing to do with the food chain. This has to do with human invading the habitat of wild animals and now that a person gets mauled the animal is to blame. I believe that they should not hunt and kill the bear because it was acting on it's natural instinct.

Typical behavior would be (usually) to avoid humans (unless food is left out). This one is apparently charging humans, presumably without a catalyst like food (though the article doesn't mention anything like that one way or another). This makes further attacks more likely if left unchecked.

I mean, you could say it's "natural instinct" for our species to protect its own and slay potential threats to the general camping populace.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
OLALLA, Wash. -- A state Fish and Wildlife Department captain says a bear that attacked a man at Banner Forest Heritage Park in Kitsap County has to be killed because it has lost its fear of humans.

Captain Dan Brinson also told KOMO Radio it's unlikely the bear was protecting cubs because the victim reports it was a boar, not a sow.

Wildlife agents have closed the park northwest of Tacoma while they try to trap the bear.

A 51-year-old Port Orchard man, Anthony Blasioli, was biking with his two dogs Sunday when he encountered the bear as he went around a turn. The bear charged, mauling him on his arms, back and neck before he managed to get away. He's recovering at a Tacoma hospital.

I believe they should leave the bear alone as humans are enemies to bears and the bear was merely acting as it should, mauling a trespasser. Discuss..

I'd say you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Bears aren't enemies with humans. Bears normally have a healthy fear of humans and when one attacks a human unprovoked it should be put down.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Kill it. I'm generally against killing animals, but this one attacked a person, and whether anyone wants to admit it or not, we're on top. It's not terribly unlikely to happen again.

I see where you're coming from. It doesn't matter who's on top or not, this has nothing to do with the food chain. This has to do with human invading the habitat of wild animals and now that a person gets mauled the animal is to blame. I believe that they should not hunt and kill the bear because it was acting on it's natural instinct.

Typical behavior would be (usually) to avoid humans (unless food is left out). This one is apparently charging humans, presumably without a catalyst like food (though the article doesn't mention anything like that one way or another). This makes further attacks more likely if left unchecked.

I mean, you could say it's "natural instinct" for our species to protect its own and slay potential threats to the general camping populace.

It also says that the bear attacked when they came around a turn on their bikes. So you can also assume that the bear was both startled and approached at a high rate of speed. The bear probably thought the bikers were the ones charging.

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
OLALLA, Wash. -- A state Fish and Wildlife Department captain says a bear that attacked a man at Banner Forest Heritage Park in Kitsap County has to be killed because it has lost its fear of humans.

Captain Dan Brinson also told KOMO Radio it's unlikely the bear was protecting cubs because the victim reports it was a boar, not a sow.

Wildlife agents have closed the park northwest of Tacoma while they try to trap the bear.

A 51-year-old Port Orchard man, Anthony Blasioli, was biking with his two dogs Sunday when he encountered the bear as he went around a turn. The bear charged, mauling him on his arms, back and neck before he managed to get away. He's recovering at a Tacoma hospital.

I believe they should leave the bear alone as humans are enemies to bears and the bear was merely acting as it should, mauling a trespasser. Discuss..

Ok, so if I'm following your logic - Humans and bears are enemies. The bear is acting as it should in mauling a human because humans are the bear's enemy. Then why is it not appropriate for the human to act as it should and eliiminate the enemy that attacked it?

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005

I would say you don't know what you are talking about and leave it to the professionals in the F&W department.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
My opinion: Kill the bear. It has lost the fear of humans. Just a matter of time before attacks/kills someone else.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: michaels

... leave it to the professionals in the F&W department.

Agreed.

I'd like to think they know what they're doing, and that purging an animal like this is the last thing wildlife professionals would like to do unless its necessary.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
People who think that the bear should be killed are lunatics, leave it alone.

Perhaps you should consider the possibility of a bear attack when you IN THE GOD DAMNED WILDERNESS.

Stupid humans with their stupid superiority and authoritarian complexes, get over yourself, you don't own the forest or the planet.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: manowar821

Perhaps you should consider the possibility of a bear attack when you IN THE GOD DAMNED WILDERNESS.

Stupid humans with their stupid superiority and authoritarian complexes, get over yourself, you don't own the forest or the planet.

I'd rather be a lunatic than an idiot (that's you).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Have you ever seen a bear in the wild? I have. When I was 6 or 7 years old my sister and I were standing on a beach in upstate NY when a bear strolled out onto the point to do some fishing. He suddenly saw us and we saw him. All three of us were scared shitless but I stood my ground, picked up a boat oar and yelled at the bear to go away which it did. Nobody called for the bear's death because it reacted as bears normally do when startled by humans.

When a bear attacks a person though that bear needs to be killed because chances are high that it will attack people again. Yeah, it sucks but that's reality. Deal with it.

Superiority complex has nothing to do with it...moron.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Have you ever seen a bear in the wild? I have. When I was 6 or 7 years old my sister and I were standing on a beach in upstate NY when a bear strolled out onto the point to do some fishing. He suddenly saw us and we saw him. All three of us were scared shitless but I stood my ground, picked up a boat oar and yelled at the bear to go away which it did. Nobody called for the bear's death because it reacted as bears normally do when startled by humans.

When a bear attacks a person though that bear needs to be killed because chances are high that it will attack people again. Yeah, it sucks but that's reality. Deal with it.

Superiority complex has nothing to do with it...moron.

Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

I'd rather be a lunatic than an idiot (that's you).

Thanks.. For that.. That was nice. I'm not an idiot, though.

Here's why you're wrong. That is not your territory, and not every bear is going to be a push-over baby when they hear loud startling noises. That is reality, deal with it.

If this were in the city, I'd be singing a different song. But no, it's the bears natural habitat, and human was the invader, this time. Keep being a prick, though, it makes you so much more correct.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006

Thanks.. For that.. That was nice. I'm not an idiot, though.

Here's why you're wrong. That is not your territory, and not every bear is going to be a push-over baby when they hear loud startling noises. That is reality, deal with it.

If this were in the city, I'd be singing a different song. But no, it's the bears natural habitat, and human was the invader, this time. Keep being a prick, though, it makes you so much more correct.

LOL @ sig. Maybe you should go outside once in a while

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

If this were in the city, I'd be singing a different song. But no, it's the bears natural habitat, and human was the invader, this time.

That's entirely my point though, and the one you seem to be missing. Normal bear behavior is to run away, not attack people. BTW-The beach I was on was our beach right out in front of our house. Not a densely populated area but not exactly the middle of the forest either.

Why do you think they tell you not to leave food in your car or in plain sight in parks? They do this for two reasons. 1) to keep people from having their cars trashed by bears and 2) to avoid having to kill bears who do ransack cars. See, bears are simple creatures but they aren't stupid and they don't forget things like where they've found food. Once a bear finds food in a car he'll consistantly go back to more cars looking for food. The bear becomes destructive. It's not his fault but we do have to deal with it because we can't have bears going around destroying peoples cars looking for food. Same thing with a bear that attacks and mauls a person.

To leave a bear that attacks people alone is irresponsible because eventually he will attack again and possibly kill someone.

I guess you could try to get people to stop camping or hiking in our forests and parks but I don't think that's a reasonable expectation or request. Good luck with that though.

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: CadetLee

If it's so normal for bears to attack people, why is it that attacks up here are very rare -- despite the large numbers of bear in the area? We've had bear tracks in our yard/driveway...and we're in town.

If I came across that in progress, there'd be no discussion...it would've been shot already. Does somebody's kid have to get eaten before you'd want to do something about it?

Is the answer to shoot any animal that becomes aggressive towards a human? Humans are in their home exerting their natural instinct. In this case the biker and his dogs must have startled the bear causing it to attack. The bear probably felt like it was trapped in a corner, one with the dogs barking at it and two with the biker that rolled up unknowingly.

What if you or someone you love was victim of the attack? Yeah, I'd thought so. :roll:

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

If this were in the city, I'd be singing a different song. But no, it's the bears natural habitat, and human was the invader, this time.

That's entirely my point though, and the one you seem to be missing. Normal bear behavior is to run away, not attack people. BTW-The beach I was on was our beach right out in front of our house. Not a densely populated area but not exactly the middle of the forest either.

Why do you think they tell you not to leave food in your car or in plain sight in parks? They do this for two reasons. 1) to keep people from having their cars trashed by bears and 2) to avoid having to kill bears who do ransack cars. See, bears are simple creatures but they aren't stupid and they don't forget things like where they've found food. Once a bear finds food in a car he'll consistantly go back to more cars looking for food. The bear becomes destructive. It's not his fault but we do have to deal with it because we can't have bears going around destroying peoples cars looking for food. Same thing with a bear that attacks and mauls a person.

To leave a bear that attacks people alone is irresponsible because eventually he will attack again and possibly kill someone.

I guess you could try to get people to stop camping or hiking in our forests and parks but I don't think that's a reasonable expectation or request. Good luck with that though.

That would be quite a feat, getting people to stop camping out. Considering even I just got back from a BWCA trip. I know all about bears, and I understand just fine how and why bears do things. I understand that if the bear attacked someone, it may attack again.

I also understand that killing it won't do anything, because even a bear that has never attacked could, in the future, indeed attack someone.

The best thing to do is not confront the bear at all. My take on this is that if a bear attacks you, unless it's diseased, that's life. You need to deal with it and leave the bear alone. It's not right to kill it because it's just doing what bears do. And yes, bears do attack people, that's why we're afraid of them.