Wil Smith: good actor. Mohammed Ali: great fighter. Smith as Ali: WTF??

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
If you were a casting director for a Mohammed Ali movie, could you honestly say Wil Smith would be the first actor you thought of for the lead??? Really, I respect
both men in their respective careers, but...

Doctor: OK, I'll say something, you say the first thing that comes into your mind.
You: OK.
Doctor: Mohammed Ali...
You: <not Wil Smith!!!>

Thank you for your time.
JC

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
I agree i wouldn't have thought of casting will smith, but from the looks of it, he seems to be a pretty good fit. I'm definately looking forward to watching that movie soon.

Masas

Feb 11, 2001
obviously, will smith wouldn't be the first to pop up...
but he is a good actor and has the flair ali had...
and it's rare to find people that can act and box very well...
so instead of finding a boxer that could portray ali and let him learn acting which many amateurs can criticize,
it was probably easier to find an actor and teach him some boxing, which many of us (probably counting me) can't criticize too much
dunno tho, i'm sure there are couple others that could have done a better job...
but i'll be in line to watch this movie...

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Honestly, how in hell can you classify Will Smith as a good actor? He's not even mediocre. He and Matt Damon are two of the most overrated actors there are. I just don't get it.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
He was handpicked by Ali... so Ali basically chose who he thought would be able to portray him.

Presence

Golden Member
May 8, 2001
Will Smith has always been a good actor...but you gotta seriously give a guy his props when he puts on 45 pounds in 1 year to get ready for the role...that some serious muscle he put on.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000

<< Will Smith has always been a good actor...but you gotta seriously give a guy his props when he puts on 45 pounds in 1 year to get ready for the role...that some serious muscle he put on. >>

Uhm, ok. I don't know about him being a great actor, he's ok I guess? Cool guy, whatever. As for boxing, I really don't know. Maybe I'll go see the movie! Putting on 45lbs in a year is cool, not amazing or surprising - any person can do that. In fact, you could do it in 6 months if you were determined. Although it'd be quite a greater challenge. ;)

-RSI

Presence

Golden Member
May 8, 2001

<< Uhm, ok. I don't know about him being a great actor, he's ok I guess? Cool guy, whatever. As for boxing, I really don't know. Maybe I'll go see the movie! Putting on 45lbs in a year is cool, not amazing or surprising - any person can do that. In fact, you could do it in 6 months if you were determined. Although it'd be quite a greater challenge >>

Watch Will Smith in Six Degrees of Seperation and you might see Will Smiths acting in a different view. Yah putting 45 pounds in 1 year is pretty easy. Putting on 45 pounds of muscle and then shedding it off after you are done with the movie is a whole different story. This movie is already generating Oscar buzz for Will Smith and I for one am anxious to see this movie...though that will not happen since Im up here freezing my @ss off in Kosovo for the next few months.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
<<You mean some guy turned his diseased head in Smith's direction>>

That's not cool, not cool at all. :|

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< You mean some guy turned his diseased head in Smith's direction. >>

HOLY DAMN, dude. Uncouth. What a wank.

--I'll be checking back frequently to roast marshmallows over your crisped corpse.

Ricky
DesignDawg

CichliSuite

Jan 31, 2001
I wasn't trying to diss Ali, but I highly doubt he had the capacity to move his head let alone pick out some guy.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

<< <<You mean some guy turned his diseased head in Smith's direction>>

That's not cool, not cool at all. :|
>>

Ditto.

I wouldn't have thought Smith would have been a good Ali, but the commercials proved me wrong. Smith has put on some damn muscle and I'm looking forward to this movie and Spiderman.

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
Ali didn't pick Will Smith, Michael Mann was making the movie but probably couldn't get the money unless he cast a big star.

I agree Will Smith is NOT Ali......he's midly amusing at times but definitly not a good dramatic actor.

He should stick to one liners in creature features.