Wifi Showing Incorrect Location w/ Used Router?

WAZ

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
We just bought a used Linksys WRT1900AC router. Set up smoothly with no problems, got our network's static IP set, wifi networks set up and everything.

However, now our phones are detecting incorrect locations. We are just south of Chicago... but my phone (Note 5) is now popping up with Google notifications for Indianapolis Int'l Airport, and others are getting locations and review alerts for places in California. All places hundreds, if not thousands of miles away.

I'm sure this is something tied to the router and the fact we bought it used... apparently the previous owner's location in CA? Not sure why it's also showing Indy. Either way, I don't see any way to set or change a location... time zone is correct, and that's all I see. Is it something with the MAC address? Anything a factory reset would fix?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's your ISP. They are re-using IP blocks, between locations, and not updating the GeoIP info.

My Sprint Mifi, if I use it and do speedtests, the default speedtest server is a long way away.

And sometimes, on my faster ISP(s), it detects my location elsewhere.

It happens. Not much to be concerned with, really.

Edit: Google's "Location" feature, or Android's, can optionally use WiFi hotspots, and Google's maps (with the cars that drive around, and "sample" wifi and their approx locations).

So, your phones may be picking up the wifi router's MAC address as a "Hotspot", and keying off of Google's maps, of which, if the original owner was in CA, then it's going to give a CA location.

You can either change the router's Wifi MAC (if the firmware allows), or wait for Google's maps to update, or disable "enhanced location services" in your Android phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: mxnerd

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It's your ISP. They are re-using IP blocks, between locations, and not updating the GeoIP info.

My Sprint Mifi, if I use it and do speedtests, the default speedtest server is a long way away.

And sometimes, on my faster ISP(s), it detects my location elsewhere.

It happens. Not much to be concerned with, really.

www.geoiptool.com think I'm in Wisconsin

5 databases from www.iplocation.net think I'm in California , where I am really at.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I had this happen on a warranty replacement router from Asus. The problem will eventually correct itself. In my case it took several weeks. Some organization (perhaps Google?) has got the MAC ID of your router in their database recorded in the previous location the router resided. The database will eventually update and your problem will go away.

I started a thread about this when it happened to me and this is my recollection of the answer. The details may be not quite correct but it the problem will eventually correct itself.