Question Wifi router reset device - "Keep Connect". I had no idea that these existed.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Seems pretty neat. Basic idea is a internet-connected "smart outlet", that if it looses connectivity, it power-cycles the outlet.

Reactions: mxnerd

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I've been using something similar for years from 3gstore, now 5gstore (bad idea to name your company after a technology that keeps changing, lol):

It's pretty slick since it has a web interface and is really granular with the controls for each outlet. It worked really well when we had a router that worked, but would lock up almost daily. It would reboot in like 5 seconds, so getting this rebooter was better than replacing it until it finally died. Then we moved to enterprise equipment and don't deal with issues like this anymore, but still keep the rebooter online because it can measure packet loss on our lines.

Reactions: mxnerd

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I've been using something similar for years from 3gstore, now 5gstore (bad idea to name your company after a technology that keeps changing, lol):

It's pretty slick since it has a web interface and is really granular with the controls for each outlet. It worked really well when we had a router that worked, but would lock up almost daily. It would reboot in like 5 seconds, so getting this rebooter was better than replacing it until it finally died. Then we moved to enterprise equipment and don't deal with issues like this anymore, but still keep the rebooter online because it can measure packet loss on our lines.
What about the Ubiquity plug?

I've got a customer running three homes off a bridge, and the modem is located in a warehouse with limited access, and every once in a while, some of these 3.1 modems need a power cycle. Especially when in bridge mode.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is why I advocate for local control of smart home devices. Smart outlets and switches cost less than that device and give the added functionality of being fully controllable for many other features. But to perform the functionally of this reset device, you need local control of your smart home equipment. There are really only 2 that I have found which do this, Hubitat Elevation, and Home Assistant. If you are using either of these, all your home automations will still work when you lose connection to the internet (as long as the smart devices in question themselves do not rely on internet/cloud based control, but can take commands from local z-wave/zigbee/ip networks directly). You can easily setup a trigger to power reset an outlet with the loss of being able to ping some remote host with local controlled smart home devices.

Nov 17, 2019
This is why I advocate for local control of smart home devices. Smart outlets and switches cost less than that device and give the added functionality of being fully controllable for many other features. But to perform the functionally of this reset device, you need local control of your smart home equipment.

There are really only 2 that I have found which do this, Hubitat Elevation, and Home Assistant.
Marking for future reference. I hate convenience devices that make themselves inconvenient to use. I need in house control only, as I am very rarely away from home. It makes no sense for the outlet in the garage 50 feet away to require a connection to a server hundreds or thousands of miles away.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
why not just pay 50 dollars more and get a more reliable router which will not require a DLC addon to make sure its running properly.

But yes, its lolz.
Its aimed i bet at people who get wallmart routers, and each time they call ISP tech support, they tell them to reboot the dying router.