Question Wifi IP Cameras without subscriptions and awful apps or internet that is secure on your home network?

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Hey all,

I'm curious if there's anyone with some tips on current wifi capable IP cameras for home surveillance without having to use internet, subscription crap with proprietary apps, subscription models, etc, that is also secure on the home network and not accessible over the internet and not a security risk in general with the apps and other junk. Just old school IP wifi cameras sitting on a home network that you can only access locally on the network with the IP address with either login info or whatever. Something simple. Don't need recording. Don't need motion detection. Just want to be able to view the real time stream and that's it. I used to do this over 10 years ago with simple IP cameras. But now it seems everything is convoluted with subscription models and apps to use them. I don't mind just using software on my workstation to view. But I would like to have a simple app or means for my wife to be able to view on her phone when on the network with her phone (not internet) if that makes sense (even if its just an intranet webbrowser or something on the phone, but a simple app for her would be great, just without all the accounts and internet sharing stuff associated).

Any tips?

Very best,

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Reactions: MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Thanks,

Was just looking to see what software and what apps (android based) are options these days without being a security risk and without needing internet and/or subscription and accounts and crap like that. Just basic local area network behind a firewall, no internet involvement, stream if on the local network via software or app from the network. Seems to be plenty of cheap wifi capable IP cameras out there in the $30~50 range, but don't want something crippled with accounts/subscription/internet requirements making them cheap nightmares. These were common just 10~12 years ago. But now everything is linked/networked/social and I want nothing of that security risk crap. I live in a rural area. It's jut to see what is making sounds in some blind spots on my property when the wife/kids are home alone.

Very best,