Wifi in every room

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
LOL! I hope they're on different channels.

The router has 3 separate radios, 2.4Ghz, 5GHz, 5GHz. The 2 5GHz radios can essential be set up as a wifi load balancer to deal with a high number of wifi connections. Great for households with a ton of wireless devices. Range is really good on it too.

Which router? The Netgear Nighthawk? I think Krazy4Real was referring to the OP, and OP didn't say which routers/APs he used (he only implied that they were old and otherwise would be destined for the landfill).

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
A bit off topic, but is the coverage with that really that good? Moving in a few weeks and my new house is much larger than my townhome so I will need to either buy some range extenders or upgrade the ASUS RT-N56u.
Lots of walls and some 3,600 square feet. Will have wireless devices on all 3 floors and the simpler the better.

It really is. It has 6 3dbi omnidirectinal antennas, and the router chipset features signal locking, meaning it cuts out any variance in the channel once your wifi adapter is detected. I have a 2/3 acre back yard and am able to get a 300Mb connection at the end of the yard. Keep in mind I live in the suburbs, so city dwellers might face more crowded channels, but from my experience (and a lot of the reviewers), that router is a beast. It's pricey, but it just plain works.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I used to have 4 consumer WiFi access points in the house on the same SSID. It was a pain because handoffs weren't smooth. The clients would hang onto weak signals far too long.

Then I bought the latest AirPort Extreme. It allowed me to get rid of all the extra access points and just use the one, relatively centrally placed.

...or so I thought. It turns out my laptops and tablets work fine, but for some phones there is a corner of one room at the far edge of the house that is hit and miss for WiFi. So I stuck an el cheapo weak access point there, and turn the transmission power on it to low too, so its signal doesn't go beyond that one room.

However, I keep that one AP on a different SSID and just manually switch to it as needed.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
https://www.google.com/search?q=AC3200&tbm=isch

router_copy.jpg

366599-netgear-nighthawk-x6-ac3200-tri-band-wifi-router-r8000-bottom.jpg

Last edited:

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Which router? The Netgear Nighthawk? I think Krazy4Real was referring to the OP, and OP didn't say which routers/APs he used (he only implied that they were old and otherwise would be destined for the landfill).

The main Gateway is new and has 400mW of power. It's at the very front of the house.
The AP's are low end D-link routers. One is place at the very back of the house upstairs. Another is in the basement also at the back of the house. One is in the workshop. The AP's are set to low to med power which keeps them pretty well isolated. I have more interference from my neighbors wifi then the AP's cause.

I used to have 4 consumer WiFi access points in the house on the same SSID. It was a pain because handoffs weren't smooth. The clients would hang onto weak signals far too long.

The SSID's are different with clear names of their location. They are programmed into some devices so they connect when in range but some devices are just set at manual.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
... The SSID's are different with clear names of their location. They are programmed into some devices so they connect when in range but some devices are just set at manual.

Apple mobile devices are really annoying in that regard. They connect to the first recognized AP they see. If there are two recognized APs, it will ignore signal strength and connect to the one that comes first alphabetically.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wonder if microwave magnetrons could be modified to broadcast wifi.

You could cook microwavable popcorn by just downloading a movie, by the time the movie is downloaded your popcorn is ready. You also have cancer.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I wonder if microwave magnetrons could be modified to broadcast wifi.

You could cook microwavable popcorn by just downloading a movie, by the time the movie is downloaded your popcorn is ready. You also have cancer.

Several problems.

It would still need to be connected to a modem and speed will be limited to your connection speed.
Good watchable quality movies cannot be downloaded in 3 - 4 minutes.
Movie download is illegal, all the legal services are streaming.
Corn poped in microwave does not create or add carcinogens in them, its the butter like additive that's the culprit. Pop your won corn

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I put in an access point too in the living room (same SSID but different channels). Thing is, my downloads on my phone die (ie. google play music requested downloads) if I walk away and it has to switch. Same with my kids playing something on the ipad - when they get closer to the other router the connection is lost with whatever game and they have to wait till it gets switched automatically.

Is it just me? That's the only thing that sucks about it, but otherwise I love having full house coverage.

BTW, 5GHz range sucked so bad I just disabled it altogether.

Last edited: