Wifi Connects but "No Internet Access"

RickD2

May 26, 2019
Hello;

I have an Asus RT-N65U wifi router wired to my AT&T Uverse modem/wifi router. The wifi on the AT&T is disabled. I set the router up with one private network 2.4/5Ghz network, one public 2.4Ghz network and one public 5Ghz network.

All networks are WPA2 encrypted with different passwords.

Oddly enough though the IP address on my Asus (192.168.2.1) is NOT the IP address the owners manual says it should be (192.168.1.1). Unfortunately I dont know how that came to be, but I think it happened when I switched from DSL to Uverse about 4 years ago.

I've been running the above setup without issue for over 4 years. The Asus is about 5+ years old.

About a year ago I added a Netgear EX2700 Wifi range extender on the private network. It has its own network name. No problems.

All of a sudden out of the blue about 2 weeks ago I am unable get internet access on ANY of the wifi networks on ANY of my wireless devices EXCEPT on the EX2700 range extender. I can still connect to the other networks, just no internet access.

I've tried re-booting/re-starting all devices. Pinging 192.168.1.1 times out, pinging 192.168.2.1 returns Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms.

Any help with resolving the "No Internet Access" would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ok, well, what is the IP of the range extender? You already said that your Asus router was 192.168.2.1, and pinging that returns a reply.

What device is on 192.168.1.1? Your ISP modem/router (gateway), is that 192.168.1.1? Does it have wifi of its own? (Oh, yeah, "wifi on the AT&T is disabled").

I'm a little confused by the fact that you claim that you have internet access on your range extender, and can ping the Asus router, but don't have internet access if you connect to the "other networks" on the Asus.

Can you plug a PC (wired) into your AT&T router/modem (gateway), and get internet that way?

I've been running the above setup without issue for over 4 years. The Asus is about 5+ years old.

Have you continuously kept up with firmware updates for the Asus router during that time? There have been numerous exploits over the last few years found in routers and networking code.

Also, did you leave WPS (wi-fi protected setup) ENABLED on the Asus? That's a HUGE mistake, and routers often come configured with it ENABLED by default.

(Just saying, you could have been hacked. Are you in a populous area? Neighbors nearby? Interesting and varied cars parks in your apt complex?)

If not, maybe the config got corrupted, by a power outage or a brownout or such.

Or maybe, the Asus router unit, or the power brick, could be getting old. I find that the power bricks can sometimes often need to be replaced after 3-5 years of continuous usage. Depends on the quality of the power brick, I guess.

Last edited:

RickD2

May 26, 2019
Hi VirtualLarry, thanks for your interest.

Ok, well, what is the IP of the range extender? 192.168.2.168

You already said that your Asus router was 192.168.2.1, and pinging that returns a reply. Correct

What device is on 192.168.1.1? There does not appear to be any device using that IP address.

Your ISP modem/router (gateway), is that 192.168.1.1? No. The Uverse modem/router is 192.168.1.254

I'm a little confused by the fact that you claim that you have internet access on your range extender, and can ping the Asus router, but don't have internet access if you connect to the "other networks" on the Asus. It's confusing me, too.

Can you plug a PC (wired) into your AT&T router/modem (gateway), and get internet that way? Yes.

Have you continuously kept up with firmware updates for the Asus router during that time? Yes.

WPS is enabled. Small urban area. No unusual cars. No network traffic other than my own.

Thanks

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ok, hmm. How about, how is the Asus router connected to the UVerse gateway? Is it plugged in with Asus' WAN port, to UVerse gateway's LAN port (therefore, double-NAT), or are they plugged in LAN-to-LAN in that case, DHCP should be disabled on one of the devices, most likely the Asus, and it would be used as an AP, with the UVerse gateway handling DHCP requests on the LAN.

Edit: Let me tell you why this is so. If the Asus router and the UVerse gateway, both have DHCP enabled, and you have them connected, LAN-to-LAN, that would mean that you have TWO DIFFERENT SUBNET DHCP SERVERS OPERATING. Just making sure that isn't the case here. If so, depending on which responds first, your PC could end up with a 192.168.2.x IP (from the Asus router's DHCP server), or a 192.168.1.x IP (from the UVerse gateway's DHCP server.)

If they are connected, WAN-to-LAN, then you have two different isolated subnets there, with the Asus handing out 192.168.2.x IPs to devices connected downstream from it, while the Uverse gateway, hands out 192.168.1.x IPs to devices connected downstream from that, namely, the WAN IP of the Asus router. Other than the double-NAT involved, this isn't so bad a configuration.

Edit: When you have no internet access, what does an IPCONFIG /ALL say? Do that in a Command Prompt.

Last edited:

RickD2

May 26, 2019
Thanks VirtualLarry I have given up on this setup having realized that the ATT wifi is so much faster than the Asus. The main reason for my having had it in the first place was for VPN, which I really no longer need. I really appreciate your time on this. Please consider "case closed".

Thanks again!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, if that's all that you want to use it for, then connect the Asus router's WAN port to the AT&T router's LAN port, enabled wifi on both, and plug in the VPN Client settings into the Asus router. Then, if you wish to use a PC on VPN, then connect wirelessly to the Asus router, and not VPN, to the AT&T router.