Widespread voter suppression thread

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Hoping this will be a catch-all thread for voter intimidation/suppression/disenfranchisement efforts in every state. 59 million Americans live in a state in which one or both chambers of the state legislature is controlled by the party that won fewer statewide votes in 2016 and 2018 (thanks to gerrymandering.) By now we all know that the Trump campaign and the RNC has filed a number of lawsuits in states with conservative leaning courts and legislatures, primarily to disenfranchise voters and ensure low turnout in the election. Trump and the RNC are pulling ads due to their funding crunch, but have poured $20 million into lawsuits targeting swing states. The campaign has been aided by conservative activist groups and GOP governors and legislatures with single-party control running voter interference of their own accord. Here are but a few examples (by no means is this list exhaustive):

Nationwide:
- Shelby SCOTUS decision has gutted the Voting Rights Act, leading to widespread voter suppression efforts in states that were once subject to federal preclearance. Over 1000 polling locations have been closed and 16 million voters purged from rolls since.
- President Trump continues to attack Vote by Mail, citing "widespread fraud" without evidence. His words/tweets alone will suppress many from exercising the safest voting option during a pandemic.
- DeJoy's USPS has slowed down mail processing ahead of the election, which may lead to many ballots being postmarked or collected after state election deadlines.
- USPS also sent pre-election mailers with vote by mail guidance that doesn't align with state-by-state requirements, which may lead some to think their ballots won't be valid if mailed outside the USPS-recommended dates.
- The 1982 RNC DNC consent decree that limited voter intimidation efforts nationwide (resulting from lawsuits filed in NJ) has expired and not been renewed. 2020 will be the first general election without this decree in place. The RNC is free to coordinate national "observer" networks and is recruiting 50,000 people for Election Day ops. Prepare to see armed militia, off-duty police and "patriots" in lifted pickup trucks patrolling minority polling precincts. Some states even allow "observers" to watch votes be counted by clerks and challenge any ballots for any reason (remember the Brooks Brothers Riot?)
- Nearly 8% of all black men in America cannot vote due to felony convictions (closer to 20% in Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia.)
- 35 states have some form of Voter ID requirement--9 of these will not allow ballots to be cast in person without ID (including battleground states like Ohio, Florida, Wisconsin and Arizona.)

Alabama:
- Many DMV offices in majority black counties have been permanently shuttered following Voter ID requirements.
- In July, SCOTUS blocked a district judge's order that would have made it easier for voters to vote absentee in 3 counties--reinstating photo ID copy and witness requirements.
- Madison County clerk's office won't be open to receive absentee ballots in-person until 12 days AFTER voting starts

Florida:
- Gov DeSantis and GOP leg have successfully blocked Amendment 4--former felons must pay all fines, fees and restitution imposed at sentencing, regardless of the state's ability to account for what's owed.
- State GOP is suing to block efforts to have the state pay for postage on mailed ballots missing stamps.

Georgia:
- Over 500,000 Georgians purged from rolls ahead of 2018 elections
- Closed polling locations in urban centers and majority black neighborhoods--80 fewer precincts in Fulton County alone vs. last election (arguably due to Covid but disproportionally affecting registered Dems.)

Iowa:
- After Iowa's Republican Sec State extended early voting and sent absentee ballots to all registered voters ahead of the June primary (leading to massive turnout) the GOP legislature responded by limiting his authority to enact such measures for the general election
- Trump campaign and RNC successfully sued to prevent county officials from mailing pre-populated ballots with voter info on file. Those ballots were invalidated and counties had to rush to send blank ballots out. Officials may also be blocked from using information on file to fill-in any missing information on received ballots.

Kentucky:
- Polling locations closed around urban centers like Louisville--only one polling location open for 700,000 residents in Jefferson County during the primary.
- Kentucky requires a copy of a photo ID be included with all absentee ballot applications, or else to physically sign an affidavit in front of an election officer.

Michigan:
- Trump/RNC are actively recruiting poll observers in key Dem turnout areas
- Robocalls are attempting to deter Detroit residents from voting by mail, threatening that their ballot will allow "the man" to "track down old warrants, collect on debts, and enroll you for mandatory vaccines."

Ohio:
- Trump and RNC have joined a lawsuit seeking to limit the number of secure drop boxes for mailed ballots.
- RNC/Trump campaign have successfully blocked implementation of clearer signature match requirements (and allowing corrected signatures) sought by voting rights groups.

Pennsylvania:
- Trump campaign successfully sued to have "naked ballots" (mailed ballots without an inner security envelope) invalidated, which could lead to 100,000+ ballots being tossed out (30-40k from Philly alone)
- RNC has sued state elections board and all 67 counties to ban or limit the use of secure drop boxes for mailed ballots.
- RNC is suing to ensure poll watchers don't have to live in the county where they are deployed (i.e. voter intimidation)
- RNC/Trump are suing to prevent county officials from allowing voters to correct a mis-matched signature on mailed ballots, but the state likely won't hear it without a local party to the suit.
- Judicial Watch is suing to purge 800,000 voters marked 'inactive' from voter rolls in Bucks, Chester and Delaware counties.

Texas:
- Texas AG successfully blocked COVID-19 elevated risk factors as an acceptable qualification for absentee ballots for voters under 65; Gov Abbott blocked expansion of vote-by-mail to all registered voters.

Wisconsin:
- State Supreme Court ruled along partisan lines that counties cannot send out mail ballots until a decision is made regarding the Green Party candidate's qualifications.
- US court of appeals has ruled in favor of plaintiffs seeking to limit early voting and block absentee ballots returned by email or fax.
- While the state seems to have learned a lesson from the primary debacle, Milwaukee will still have fewer polling places than in previous elections.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm sure this thread will grow. Unlike a widespread voter fraud thread absent comments would only have the OP

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I read this like I am looking at a country with a tinpot dictator. Amazing. What does an ID have do with the right to vote? My wife runs away from at the polling place as I have conversations with the workers over this an express that this is unpatriotic and not democracy. I have had many just ramble the misinformation of dead people voting, all the fraud in elections, etc. when I push back they do not know what to say. It’s like they use those surface things, as that is all they know, and they have zero understanding of what they are saying. I am waiting for, “Well, I read on Fadbook....”

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It's like the Repubs think they may be increasingly outnumbered due to their unpopular stance on issues like climate change, women's rights, their wanting to get rid of federal gov't programs like Social Security, Medicare, Veteran's benefits or anything else that benefits the middle class and the poor, their wanting to bless the very wealthy with more unwarranted tax cuts, more corporate welfare and more deregulating of laws that protect the people of the nation from being poisoned, ripped off and scammed, etc. etc.

I could go on and on with how the Repubs are giving themselves so many more reasons as to why they are losing their grip on power as the nation's younger voters are wising up to the scam the Repub's leadership are playing on them and as the demographics of the nation are swinging over in favor of the Dems.

Most of all, it's how the Repubs have transformed their party into a party of exclusiveness and definitely not one of inclusiveness.

edited last line of post

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I read this like I am looking at a country with a tinpot dictator. Amazing. What does an ID have do with the right to vote? My wife runs away from at the polling place as I have conversations with the workers over this an express that this is unpatriotic and not democracy. I have had many just ramble the misinformation of dead people voting, all the fraud in elections, etc. when I push back they do not know what to say. It’s like they use those surface things, as that is all they know, and they have zero understanding of what they are saying. I am waiting for, “Well, I read on Fadbook....”
Just the same as, why do I have to file income tax when you already have my info. Working for a living makes it simple.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014

- institute a poll tax
- declare that anyone else paying the poll tax is committing bribery
- never worry about the poors voting again!

Bloomberg has enough savvy to construct this to meet a legal challenge. He can afford a legal team who can fight this very well. It is amazing what levels these guys will go through to suppress the vote of those they fear. If it was determined that fines and court costs are not a “poll tax,” how is this paying for a vote? Should be interesting to see how they weave this thread through that very small hole in the needle.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yep, after I got all giddy about it, I was wondering if basically it could be construed to be a bribe, although you have no idea how they are going to vote.
While I think the goal is obvious, it seems as though there would be plausible deniability.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I know of at least one Florida felon voting for Trump:

5f6610046f42f2c137566c02a2796e3e.jpg

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Oh boy—Trump is gonna be tweeting about this all day soon. Add NC to list of states where leg will interfere in the balloting process.

Basically, a national Dem group represented by the infamous Marc Elias sued NC to force changes to the absentee ballot process. NC’s Dem AG eventually recommended to Board of Elections that the state settle the case. BoE is split 3-2 with Dem advantage (hard fought in 2017 after lame duck session initially tried to screw the incoming governor of his power to appoint BoE but I digress.) But the board voted 5-0 to settle the case.

Now, all of a sudden the 2 Repubs on the BoE are resigning in protest, claiming AG’s office withheld details about the settlement (not true) and big issue is that the witness signature requirement is essentially moot (voters will get a chance to correct ballots and provide an affidavit instead of witness.) There was also an extension to the deadline as to when ballots can be received. The board members won’t admit it but there are hints that they were asked to resign, either by the NC Leg (Speaker) or national RNC/Trump campaign. I’d expect a legal challenge to the settlement from GOP shortly. Or, the leg may just decide to undo the mail-in vote if things don’t work out in their favor.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
At some point, you stop forgiving accidents as accidents.

Louisiana voter website "conveniently" scheduled for maintenance on National voter registration day.

Uh huh.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
At some point, you stop forgiving accidents as accidents.

Louisiana voter website "conveniently" scheduled for maintenance on National voter registration day.

Uh huh.
GASLIGHT. Nothing to see move along.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Oh boy—Trump is gonna be tweeting about this all day soon. Add NC to list of states where leg will interfere in the balloting process.

Basically, a national Dem group represented by the infamous Marc Elias sued NC to force changes to the absentee ballot process. NC’s Dem AG eventually recommended to Board of Elections that the state settle the case. BoE is split 3-2 with Dem advantage (hard fought in 2017 after lame duck session initially tried to screw the incoming governor of his power to appoint BoE but I digress.) But the board voted 5-0 to settle the case.

Now, all of a sudden the 2 Repubs on the BoE are resigning in protest, claiming AG’s office withheld details about the settlement (not true) and big issue is that the witness signature requirement is essentially moot (voters will get a chance to correct ballots and provide an affidavit instead of witness.) There was also an extension to the deadline as to when ballots can be received. The board members won’t admit it but there are hints that they were asked to resign, either by the NC Leg (Speaker) or national RNC/Trump campaign. I’d expect a legal challenge to the settlement from GOP shortly. Or, the leg may just decide to undo the mail-in vote if things don’t work out in their favor.
One of those that resigned is a black man. How the fuck can any person of color support a raging racist POTUS. Wonder how many ties he has been called an Uncle Tom by the black community.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
One of those that resigned is a black man. How the fuck can any person of color support a raging racist POTUS. Wonder how many ties he has been called an Uncle Tom by the black community.

Actually, there are quite a few black evangelicals in NC on Team Trump. There’s a cluster in the Triad area and another big one in Eastern NC near the shore. Their thinking seems to boil down to “No white President will ever ‘fix’ racism, but at least Trump goes with God and is against abortions” or something like that.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Actually, there are quite a few black evangelicals in NC on Team Trump. There’s a cluster in the Triad area and another big one in Eastern NC near the shore. Their thinking seems to boil down to “No white President will ever ‘fix’ racism, but at least Trump goes with God and is against abortions” or something like that.
I guess by the point you call yourself an evangelical, all hope of rational thought is long gone, so they can't figure out he is a fucking liar about both going with god and abortion. No different than Jim Jones serving up the kool-aid.

Reactions: Pohemi

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yep, after I got all giddy about it, I was wondering if basically it could be construed to be a bribe, although you have no idea how they are going to vote.
I'm sure Bloomberg spoke with his counsel beforehand and he'll be fine, after all they were not instructed to vote for anyone or vote at all.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Reactions: MtnMan

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I swear if any trumpanzee ever even thought of blocking my vote it will be a bad day for them, I've had to endure 4 years
of epic asshole and I'd like nothing more than to submit a trumper to my instant dental program.
Make sure you video them breaking the law first, and avoid committing crimes yourself.

And vote early.

Reactions: BUTCH1

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I've got my absentee ballot already, COVID is the rational behind that.

When I vote in person, I am armed, all legal, as my polling place is in a church, not a school or other gun free zones.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Mods, any chance to merge this with the Official Republican Voter Suppression/Intimidation thread??