Why you should respect LEGAL immigrants

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Immigrants that are over sixty-two years old who go through the legal process and become citizens are eligible for medicaid and basically free health care. There are many elderly immigrants from Europe that come over here to visit relatives and decide to stay. The poorer they are, the more benefits that are available. They can always dispose of their jewelry and assets before they arrive and then claim to be destitute.

Why do you hate jews?

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
I just wish that we treated illegals with a bit more compassion and gave them more human rights like...... Mexico and China.

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
The person responsible for the largest terrorist attack in US history before 9/11 was born in Lockport, New York. I now have a totally justified reason for hating on all people born in the US :awe:
(bio: Timothy McVeigh)

You're right that you should still look at people as individuals. Just remember not to group everyone as a some kind of Mexican boarder jumper. It's usually not that simple.

Largest only by amount he killed. I still remember looking at pictures in the NY post and on tv about the WTC bombing on '93. only 6 were killed according to wiki, but if the bombing had succeeded, we would have had ground zero in '93 and not in 2001.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Trade_Center_bombing

HGC

Dec 22, 1999
no they dont... Most of florida speaks spanish over english.
Most oriental individuals, still speak oriental languages primarily.
they earn money here and send it back to their families in their native country. Recent flag related events would indicicate they find american culture offensive and still celebrate their own national holidays.

I for one would like to see a lot less legal immigrants, so that jobs can go to non-immigrant workers. the population of the US needs to be cut by about 20% so that high wage labor / salary workers are in demand again, and welfare drains on the system are reduced.
Many speak their old languages, send money home, hang out with folks from their old country, and so forth. Still, they are living in America, not wherever they came from. It takes guts to change countries.

I'd like to see the border sealed, and illegal immigration dealt with harshly, after a warning period. I'd also like a concurrent increase in legal immigration to make it clear that stricter policies are not about racism or xenophobia.

Last edited:

HGC

Dec 22, 1999
No, we arent. Maybe 5 generations ago...
I agree, in part.

I do indeed live as an American, not like a German from the late 1600's when my ancestors came over. That's no doubt true for most of us.

I think the salutory immigrant effect is still there, though. Much of the rest of the world has traditions going back thousands of years. We're still pioneers by comparison.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I agree, in part.

I do indeed live as an American, not like a German from the late 1600's when my ancestors came over. That's no doubt true for most of us.

I think the salutory immigrant effect is still there, though. Much of the rest of the world has traditions going back thousands of years. We're still pioneers by comparison.

But at what point do you call yourself a non immigrant? 10 generations? 15? Hell, if you want to be technical, native American indians arent native either if you go back far enough. They just happened to happenstance on the territory now known as the USA.

The whole argument "we are immigrants too" is bullshit. We arent. Our ancestors were, and this is a very different country than it was 5, 6, 7 generations ago.