Why won't my PC shutdown by itself?

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Just got new motherboard, CPU and GPU, and ever since then, when I go start>Shutdown, it will goto a black screen that says "It is now safe to shut off your computer" instead of doing it by itself.

How do I fix this? The new mobo is a DFI Lanparty SLIDR if that helps and I am on XP

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Quintox
Just got new motherboard, CPU and GPU, and ever since then, when I go start>Shutdown, it will goto a black screen that says "It is now safe to shut off your computer" instead of doing it by itself.

How do I fix this? The new mobo is a DFI Lanparty SLIDR if that helps and I am on XP

I would speculate this is bios related. Check for the latest bios and also to make sure ACPI is properly configured. According to MS these are the possible causes:

Your computer supports the Advanced Power Management (APM) feature, but the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACP)-compliant basic input/output system (BIOS) is not configured correctly to permit the operating system to turn off the power supply.
? During an upgrade of the operating system, Windows does not detect that the computer is ACPI-compliant.
? An OEM device driver or service is installed on your computer that is preventing the computer from correctly shutting down.
? Your computer is not ACPI-compliant.