Why won't anyone license Naruto for MMO

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
IMO this series is ripe for some MMO. It already has the realms set up (5 nations), has the cities set up (hidden villages), has the main classes set up, eg. shadow cloner, fireball nuker, physical attacker, mind controller, rogue, illusionist, and an body altering freakshow. Has all the skills in the comic already, and the 5 element specialization. And all the villains. Plus a huge fan base, why won't anyone just make a MMO like that and cash in.

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
this is a joke right?

plus a bleach one would be cooler

but in the end a MMO(grind) is still an MMO(grind)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The reason they don't make a Naruto MMO is because if they did, 4 people would play it. Despite you thinking it is a good idea, it isn't. Naruto doesn't have a "huge" fan base. Sure, they might sell 10,000 copies. That won't even make up for development, let alone marketing.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
The reason they don't make a Naruto MMO is because if they did, 4 people would play it. Despite you thinking it is a good idea, it isn't. Naruto doesn't have a "huge" fan base. Sure, they might sell 10,000 copies. That won't even make up for development, let alone marketing.

I am not so sure about naruto having a small fan base. Looking at only 1 torrent on a sub group shows that there are about 1/2 a million downloads for each episode. Include the number of people who stream it or watch it in on tv and you could have quite a lot of people.

I thought of the Naruto mmo idea a few years back. The separation of abilities in taijutsu, ninjutsu. and genjutsu fits the idea of talent trees very well. Simplified it was be taijutsu as melee, ninjutsu as ranged and genjutsu has debuffs.

Instead of quest grinding you would have mission grinding :)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I am not so sure about naruto having a small fan base. Looking at only 1 torrent on a sub group shows that there are about 1/2 a million downloads for each episode. Include the number of people who stream it or watch it in on tv and you could have quite a lot of people.

I thought of the Naruto mmo idea a few years back. The separation of abilities in taijutsu, ninjutsu. and genjutsu fits the idea of talent trees very well. Simplified it was be taijutsu as melee, ninjutsu as ranged and genjutsu has debuffs.

Instead of quest grinding you would have mission grinding :)

Even if they have half a million fans, how many would actually buy the game? Now, would it be viable to make a game to such a small market? How many people looking to get into an MMO would chose one based on an anime or a well established multi-million player fantasy MMO? Being a ninja dressed in bright orange might be appealing to 10 year olds screaming "Believe it!", but the majority of video game players are much older than that.

Not only would this game be terrible, the market for it would be so small compared to the costs of development and marketing, it is not a good idea to put for the money.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Because nobody would play it except that guy in the thread that said he would and maybe 2 or 3 others.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
to those who weren't there when only fansubs were available, the animated serie started very strong, everyone i know in college has heard of or watched it and it was licensed for TV quickly. I am not sure why some of you are bitter about it, there are several generations of different naruto fighter/scroller games on every console and there are other far less known animations that's been made into mmos, but nobody has thought of putting the 2 together, which makes perfect sense in my mind (even disregarding the popularity, im not going into circle argument)

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Plus, Naruto fans are mainly little kids...the type that don't typically play MMOs.

God damn, I hate Naruto.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ONE PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pirate MMO! :p

But i think hunter x hunter would make a better MMO.

God damn, I hate Naruto.

i actually just hate sasuke..

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
you'd be surprised by the number of adult fans. some of the girls that likes anime back then are growing up now.

there are a lot of college age girls that goes to anime conventions just for the cosplay. i wouldn't know since i'm too old to be hanging out with college age girls or be caught dead in an anime convention in the states.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
there are a lot of college age girls that goes to anime conventions just for the cosplay.

sometimes i question what goes on though people's heads...

The good ones, i understand, cuz they are pretty...
The bad ones.. i question if they have any sense of morality.

Example..
800x6000.jpg

This is one where:

Japan: 1 America: 0

:X

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I think it could be a badass game. I know people left and right age 25+ that have watched at least 100 episodes of Naruto. Most of these people are college students.

Why the bitterness towards the idea? Are we saying that Elves and Fairies are more grown up than a ninja/anime theme?

Obviously any game could turn out bad. It really depends on the developer.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I just feel the Naruto fanbase either plays WoW or is 10 years old. Obviously, the older generation didn't watch the Cartoon Network versions (I've been told that is not a good representation of the show, and is really dumbed down).

I'd be far more interested in a Gundam universe MMO, but I love mechs and there is always a special spot in my heart for Gundam games. Sadly, Bandai keeps taking advantage of that special love I have for giant robots and the desire to play a game with them...

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
well if u want to bring out gundam, why not go with the original robotech theme then.

There has been games made for macross, it wouldnt be hard to make it into a MMO.

Macross also has all the mecha you could possibly want, has zentradi, can bring out the invid if u wanna go the american route, or vagira if u want to go the japanese route.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Actually, in retrospect... I fully support this idea! It will get all the 9 year olds out from playing the real MMOs and people won't have to deal with listening to the kiddies spamming Chuck Norris jokes in general chat anymore.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Actually, in retrospect... I fully support this idea! It will get all the 9 year olds out from playing the real MMOs and people won't have to deal with listening to the kiddies spamming Chuck Norris jokes in general chat anymore.

Chuck Norris never jokes he's always dead serious.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003

Won't work. Maple Story has already failed at this. It won't bring 9 year olds away from wow, it will more more 9 year olds to MMOs.

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
Would be hilarious to see all the Uchihas mass slaughter one another to aquire the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan but chances they'll have to grind kill over 9000 filler butterflies instead.

Last edited: