Why Vista will mean the end of the Microsoft monolith

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Text

. How can hackers, scattered across the globe, working for no pay, linked only by the net and shared values, apparently outperform the smartest software company on the planet?

Microsofties retort that Vista is much more complex than Linux. But it's not the whole story. It could be that purely networked enterprises like the Linux project are actually a better way of producing very complex products, much as Toyota's 'lean' production system is the best way of making cars.

Virtualisation is the Next Big Thing in computing, and the lesson of Vista is that Microsoft will have to embrace it to survive in the operating system market. The trouble (for Microsoft) is that the leader in the technology is Xensource, a spin-out from Cambridge University's Computer Laboratory. And here's where the delicious ironies begin. For not only is the lab housed in the William Gates Building (in recognition of a donation by the Microsoft boss), but Xen's core technology is - wait for it! - open source, which in Redmond is still viewed as the spawn of the communist devil. In due course, an accommodation will be reached - and Xensource will go through the roof. If you were thinking of investing, however, I'm afraid you've missed the boat. John Doerr, the world's greatest venture capitalist (Sun Microsystems, Compaq, Lotus, Intuit, Genentech, Millennium, Netscape, Amazon and Google, inter alia), got there before you. In this business, you have to get up early if you want to get into bed.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
vista fully supports ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ this much hardware

linux fully supports ---- about this:p

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
WTF, was that article even in English? It was hard to tell what the guy was even trying to get across, except "ROFL M$ SUCKORZHAHAHA HAX R00L"

From what I've heard Vista is supposedly going to be infinitely more secure than XP. I really don't know anything about it though, I'm not going to even try Vista until it's required by gaming companies :p

Linux > Windows for most applications (if you want to code at all, for example)
Windows > Linux for the rest (gaming, Microsoft Excel pwns although the rest of the office suite sucks)

If Wine worked better there might be a case for full conversion.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
vista fully supports ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ this much hardware

When was the last time you used a competent Linux distribution?

sinucus

Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Eeezee
WTF, was that article even in English? It was hard to tell what the guy was even trying to get across, except "ROFL M$ SUCKORZHAHAHA HAX R00L"

From what I've heard Vista is supposedly going to be infinitely more secure than XP. I really don't know anything about it though, I'm not going to even try Vista until it's required by gaming companies :p

Windows > Linux for the rest (gaming, Microsoft Excel pwns although the rest of the office suite sucks)

I guess you'll be buying Vista on release day then. 2 big hit games are supposed to be released under DX10 only which is Vista only. Google DX 10 games to see the list, I can't remember the names.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...*pauses to take breath*...ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Here's a clue fot the article writer.

The move is towards centralized computing, not virtualization. That's so early 2000 thinking.

what a laugh of an article that is.

-edit- reread the article again. Nothing more to say than thw writer is a complete moron with no experience whatsoever in enterprise computing. complete moron.

sinucus

Feb 3, 2004

That is complete FUD! Linux supports way more hardware than windows does. If you go back through the entire list of hardware then linux wins. Even with modern hardware linux supports it. The only things that run into problems are video cards. Guess what, that isn't a linux problem, that's the manufacturers problem. Microsoft doesn't write the ATi or NVIDIA drivers, ATi and NVIDIA do. Both of those mfg.'s write linux drivers to some extent. Linux "out-of-the-box" supports more hardware. There are just fewer mfg's that support linux. Get your facts straight before you start posting crap on a tech board.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: sinucus
Originally posted by: Eeezee

I guess you'll be buying Vista on release day then. 2 big hit games are supposed to be released under DX10 only which is Vista only. Google DX 10 games to see the list, I can't remember the names.

No, I won't be buying it on release day because I don't have a DX 10 video card. I have DX 9 hardware, so I may as well wait until I upgrade before I consider buying Vista.

If you can't even remember the names of the games then they can't possibly be big hits anyway :p

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: LoKe

When was the last time you used a competent Linux distribution?

knoppix 5.01 - couldnt get my USB2.0 jump drive to work, the display doesnt let me select 1024x768, and a few other things

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: sinucus

That is complete FUD! Linux supports way more hardware than windows does.

Do you have a list or something? I haven't ever run into a piece of hardware that was incompatible with Windows, but I don't dabble in ancient electronics. Is that what you're referring to? Windows XP won't run on a 60 MHz P1, therefore Linux is more compatible with more hardware? :confused:

Yes, how about you post that list that the "entire list" of hardware before you make such a bold claim. Keep in mind that Windows goes all the way back to 1.0. I'm actually curious as to which one wins.

My only complaint with linux is it can be a pain in the ass to find drivers sometimes. And yes, video card drivers are kind of a big problem if you want your OS to be taken seriously. ATI and NVidia don't work for free (often). If more Linux users buy their cards, then one day they'll have to better support Linux users.