Why Trump's tariff on metal is bad news for beer drinkers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The beer syndicate* aren't saying that the cost of beer is going to increase. Their point is they will have to absorb the cost which will require them to lay people off.

Of course the beer syndicate are most likely exaggerating and being slightly alarmist.

*whilst calling the industry association for brewers the beer institute is awesome I like beer syndicate better.

There might be cases where the tariffs will have real damage but I can't imagine the beer industry not passing the dime, at most, a six pack onto the customers and I can't imagine many customers slowing their consumption over said dime a six pack increase in price.

I mean really, 1 cent per beer increase is going to cost over 20,000 jobs?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The Don is now threatening to place tariffs on EU autos if they do it to our goods. Keep on keepin Don the negotiator.....art of the deal baby boy.:p This is the worst administration in our short history and its only going to get worse until he either cracks or Mueller takes care of him.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
There might be cases where the tariffs will have real damage but I can't imagine the beer industry not passing the dime, at most, a six pack onto the customers and I can't imagine many customers slowing their consumption over said dime a six pack increase in price.

I mean really, 1 cent per beer increase is going to cost over 20,000 jobs?

It's the beer alliances job to exaggerate when their profits are being threatend even marginally. So yes. I take it with a grain of salt.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I was thinking though if this gets really nasty and trump has to start calling the beer institute names on twitter he could start with these:

Al Nusra Beer Drinkers Front
The BeerBan
Al Aqsa Beer Brigade

All of which have a nice anti-American ring to them.

And some names for the head of the beer institute:

Usama Beer Laden
Kim Jong Beer Pong
Beer al-Assad
Abu Bakr al-Beerdadi

Perfect.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
The Don is now threatening to place tariffs on EU autos if they do it to our goods. Keep on keepin Don the negotiator.....art of the deal baby boy.:p This is the worst administration in our short history and its only going to get worse until he either cracks or Mueller takes care of him.

The worst part about trump is he has a great deal of difficulty admitting when he is wrong.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
The worst part about trump is he has a great deal of difficulty admitting when he is wrong.

And doesn't even think or go over anything with his advisors before spewing his stupidity on Twitter. None of them are in agreement with him as well as the intelligent majority of Americans but the Dotard is going to make everyone pay more for goods and services and lose jobs.

Funny thing is Amazon announced that they were going to lease space to hire 2000 people in Boston in a FB news article, a Trump lover who spews his hate on every FB news post mentioned that she hoped that they would hire her b/c she got fired from her workplace of 10 years due to her political views. Not sure what you expect when you spend your work time on FB posting hate.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Alcohol is bad for you. Trump is doing these "beer drinkers" (probable alcoholics) a huge favor. Now they can move on to become contributing members of society with a healthy prescription opioid habit.
Box wine

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
And doesn't even think or go over anything with his advisors before spewing his stupidity on Twitter. None of them are in agreement with him as well as the intelligent majority of Americans but the Dotard is going to make everyone pay more for goods and services and lose jobs.

Funny thing is Amazon announced that they were going to lease space to hire 2000 people in Boston in a FB news article, a Trump lover who spews his hate on every FB news post mentioned that she hoped that they would hire her b/c she got fired from her workplace of 10 years due to her political views. Not sure what you expect when you spend your work time on FB posting hate.

People like that are disruptive. Damore being a great example. A place I used to work at there was a woman who was a serious neo nazi. She was well connected within the "movement" I think her blog was discovered and she used to attend major neo nazi conferences in europe. Which was one of the things she would document on her blog. So our employer became aware of it but she didn't do anything at work. That was related to her ardent white supremacist beliefs.

They couldn't fire her for her views. Because she was essentially a neo nazi in her own time only. The big issue was this also made the local news. "Prominent neo nazi works for major defence contractor." Not a good look for the company. In the end they fired her for having mp3s on her company supplied laptop. :)

EDIT: I should probably add that it is very difficult for a large organisation to fire someone in aus. Which is why I always work for large organisations. :p

Unless it is for gross misconduct. There is a lengthy process involved and if the person meets the requirements of that process they won't be fired. People tend to self destruct though. I have seen it happen.

They can lay problematic/useless people off but they still need a legitimate reason. Or the variables to manufacture one.

Last edited:

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Speaking of beer. I have been enjoying this one later. Apparently it is a US style pale ale.

PcsiDyv.jpg

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Oh you are killing me!!! Please look up the Simpson skit where Lisa is elected President following Trump. All hail the predictive minds of comedy writers. Only thing is the jokes on us.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
A case of beer is in the $120 - 250 range I doubt a dime here or there on canned beer will really matter to those who only bottle.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
America is going to learn the hard way.

Yep they are going to learn the hard way that the low price of cheap was because they relied on someone elses below cost labor, lax safety/environmental laws while they themselves cry for living wages, healthcare, benefits, clean environment, labor and safety laws but refuse to pay anyone producing their cheap products under those expensive conditions.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
A case of beer is in the $120 - 250 range I doubt a dime here or there on canned beer will really matter to those who only bottle.

Where the hell are you buying beer and what beer are you buying? If you're paying $5-10 per beer you're doing it wrong at least in the US. Do you have your own special section at the liquor store with prices just for you?

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Where the hell are you buying beer and what beer are you buying? If you're paying $5-10 per beer you're doing it wrong at least in the US. Do you have your own special section at the liquor store with prices just for you?
If you can find 120s or blackout for under 150 let me know where I'll buy 5 cases of each. Most of the beer I drink is large format belgians or porter/stout. Hell even Samuel Smith Taddy is in the 150 range.
A case of Aventinus almost any style will set you back 140 or so. When was the last time you ordered a case of Westvleteren 12s? Almost any of the Unibroue I drink is $135 a case.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
About 100 BILLION aluminum beverage cans are produced in the US every year. Even at 1 cent per can, that's a huge increase in the overall manufacturing cost that will get passed on to consumers.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
If you can find 120s or blackout for under 150 let me know where I'll buy 5 cases of each. Most of the beer I drink is large format belgians or porter/stout. Hell even Samuel Smith Taddy is in the 150 range.
A case of Aventinus almost any style will set you back 140 or so. When was the last time you ordered a case of Westvleteren 12s? Almost any of the Unibroue I drink is $135 a case.

So you've limited yourself to expensive imports generally in large bottles. I'm not surprised at the prices you're paying then. But you would represent a very small part of the beer market in the US.