Why Trump is the best thing that ever happened for Dems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
i don't think Deplorables hate liberals... we just think a lot of the liberal progressive ways of thinking of the world (and perhaps human nature) are inaccurate, and therefore causes destructive policies that waste irreplaceable time because they don't work.

What was irrational was Hillary's calling a large portion of the US electorate a basket of Deplorables. i have lots of well meaning liberal friends. Good people. Fellow Americans. i don't hate them. i disagree with them... but there is no point to hating them. The best thing is to love them irrespective of their political leanings... which can and usually will change over time.

Libs are just so mean.

p9Y8K0l.png

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
i don't think Deplorables hate liberals... we just think a lot of the liberal progressive ways of thinking of the world (and perhaps human nature) are inaccurate, and therefore causes destructive policies that waste irreplaceable time because they don't work.

How is this in any shape or form supported by reality? The most "successful" countries use far more of what you would call "liberal" policies than the US does. Take a look at the policies that Scandinavian countries have, that Germany and the Netherlands etc have. All of them are countries that are much better to live in for the average citizen than the US and when it comes to policy they are way to the left of America.

Reactions: dank69
Nov 8, 2012
Trump is the resulting backlash against the left and their political correctness letting their batshit crazy people out. As long as the left continues to let their stupid bastard children out to say shit like all illegal immigrants should freely be able to come over anytime the more Trump equivalents will show up.

Learn your lessons and come to the table with sensible core liberal foundations instead of stupid shit like "bathroom rights" and "hate speech"

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Trump is the resulting backlash against the left and their political correctness letting their batshit crazy people out. As long as the left continues to let their stupid bastard children out to say shit like all illegal immigrants should freely be able to come over anytime the more Trump equivalents will show up.

Learn your lessons and come to the table with sensible core liberal foundations instead of stupid shit like "bathroom rights" and "hate speech"

Wowzers.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016

Party of personal responsibility. Lmao.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Which liberal said illegal immigrants should freely be able to come over anytime?

Aug 11, 2008
The democrats dont have any reason to feel smug, or even particularly confident, IMO. Not defending Trump at all, but he has tapped into a huge base of latent fear, racism, and backlash to "political correctness", without any real programs from the dems to help the middle class/moderates. And the strong economy is undoubtedly a major plus, although how much of it is due to Trump is highly debatable. Really, we have become so polarized that I dont want to vote for either side. Pretty much like for the last presidential vote, I consider the democrats "the lesser of two evils" and hope they retake the house and at least somewhat repudiate Trump's policies. Unfortunately, they certainly have not moved toward the center to help the middle class/moderates, but have doubled down on the latest liberal causes in an attempt to combat Trump.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The democrats dont have any reason to feel smug, or even particularly confident, IMO. Not defending Trump at all, but he has tapped into a huge base of latent fear, racism, and backlash to "political correctness", without any real programs from the dems to help the middle class/moderates. And the strong economy is undoubtedly a major plus, although how much of it is due to Trump is highly debatable. Really, we have become so polarized that I dont want to vote for either side. Pretty much like for the last presidential vote, I consider the democrats "the lesser of two evils" and hope they retake the house and at least somewhat repudiate Trump's policies. Unfortunately, they certainly have not moved toward the center to help the middle class/moderates, but have doubled down on the latest liberal causes in an attempt to combat Trump.
Sure, okay.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Hillary Clinton was super centrist. The modern Democratic Party platform is very centrist.

I’m honestly baffled as to what you’re referring to.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Indeed. I'm trying to find candidates or people installed in office that have said "Open the borders and let everyone in" and I can't find it, but there might be someone who did somewhere sometime, maybe. I've seen some foolish ideas like "abolish ICE", but even then what's meant is to get rid of ICE as it is and have a better organization in it's place.

I'm really upset with Righties because they want to force people to attend a Christian church or be beheaded in the street. Of course that's a false claim too, but I'm sure I can find something not too far off that silly generalization.

Oh, lookie-

https://www.newsweek.com/republican...is-war-kill-non-christians-washington-1197703

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Indeed. I'm trying to find candidates or people installed in office that have said "Open the borders and let everyone in" and I can't find it, but there might be someone who did somewhere sometime, maybe. I've seen some foolish ideas like "abolish ICE", but even then what's meant is to get rid of ICE as it is and have a better organization in it's place.

I'm really upset with Righties because they want to force people to attend a Christian church or be beheaded in the street. Of course that's a false claim too, but I'm sure I can find something not too far off that silly generalization.

Oh, lookie-

https://www.newsweek.com/republican...is-war-kill-non-christians-washington-1197703

Religion of peace?

Murder, it's what Jesus would do.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Religion of peace?

Murder, it's what Jesus would do.

My worldview is greatly informed by how Jesus treated others, that is forgiveness, caring for the disadvantaged if they were poor or sick, that to treat our "neighbor" well even if we don't like them is a mandate. That's why in the "would you save Trump" thread I replied "Yes". Punishment should be after justice is served.

I have no idea who these "Christians" who are the antithesis of the above are beside dangerous hypocrites. Atheist, Christian, Muslim, whatever- The nature of a society worth having rest on kindness and compassion and justice properly served.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
At this point I am starting to hope we get stefanowski. Then I will laugh and laugh as the deficit goes through the roof.

Unlike the feds, the states HAVE to balance their budgets, at least on paper. In CT we have a two year budget, we can run a deficit for the first year but have to make it up the second year.

I say "on paper" because politicians of both parties are notorious for burying stuff/making bogus projections in order to "balance" the budget. A prime example, both here in CT and nearly every other state, is how state pensions are treated. Future obligations are left unfunded in reality-perfectly legal so long as this years pension payment obligations are met.

Electing Stefanowski would lead CT down the same dumb path Wisconsin, Kansas and so many other states have elected-a path promoted by the recent federal income tax changes.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Unlike the feds, the states HAVE to balance their budgets, at least on paper. In CT we have a two year budget, we can run a deficit for the first year but have to make it up the second year.

I say "on paper" because politicians of both parties are notorious for burying stuff/making bogus projections in order to "balance" the budget. A prime example, both here in CT and nearly every other state, is how state pensions are treated. Future obligations are left unfunded in reality-perfectly legal so long as this years pension payment obligations are met.

Electing Stefanowski would lead CT down the same dumb path Wisconsin, Kansas and so many other states have elected-a path promoted by the recent federal income tax changes.
I know, and it will be glorious to shit all over every conservative when their guys can't fix the problems they've been shitting all over liberals for not fixing for decades.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

What was irrational was Hillary's calling a large portion of the US electorate a basket of Deplorables. i have lots of well meaning liberal friends. Good people. Fellow Americans. i don't hate them. i disagree with them... but there is no point to hating them. The best thing is to love them irrespective of their political leanings... which can and usually will change over time.
If you're calling yourself a deplorable, I'd guess maybe context isn't your bag, but here's the context:
"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic — you name it."
Which flavor of deplorable are you, with the context provided?

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Maybe he is, but he and his crowd are about the worst thing possible for the country, and for the world in general (though I realize we are not supposed to care about that). Just my opinion of course. I'm not a Democrat, I consider myself an independent voter, but they have my straight-ticket support for the future until such time as the GOP (re?)gains sanity.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If nothing else, Trump should be a wake up call to people who let the perfect be the enemy of the good in 2016...

rvborgh

Apr 16, 2014
None of those. The group of people that now identify as Deplorables were falsely accused of being all those things by Hillary. They represent a tremendous swathe of Americans of all different backgrounds. A lot of liberal/progressives evidently don't understand them and don't want to listen.

Listening to and understanding people that disagree with you is not something that is easy. Given human nature, its understandable since its much easier to be intellectually lazy and just throw people into convenient mental punching bags that you can then come up with moral justifications to wreck at any opportunity.

Its truly unfortunate.

Anyways, 1 more day to results :)

If you're calling yourself a deplorable, I'd guess maybe context isn't your bag, but here's the context:
"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic — you name it."
Which flavor of deplorable are you, with the context provided?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
None of those. The group of people that now identify as Deplorables were falsely accused of being all those things by Hillary. They represent a tremendous swathe of Americans of all different backgrounds. A lot of liberal/progressives evidently don't understand them and don't want to listen.

Listening to and understanding people that disagree with you is not something that is easy. Given human nature, its understandable since its much easier to be intellectually lazy and just throw people into convenient mental punching bags that you can then come up with moral justifications to wreck at any opportunity.

Its truly unfortunate.

Anyways, 1 more day to results :)

What other kind of deplorables are there, anyway? And why would anybody identify as deplorable if they're none of those things?