Why there aint multi CPU mobos?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: aigomorla
Originally posted by: ChaosDivine
Originally posted by: aigomorla
Third.. we did have a consumer 2p board for the home user. It was called skulltrail, and it was insanely expensive.
Tsk, tsk. Forgetting about ye olde BP6 are we? :p

lol

not many people reading this thread were in the hobby that long to remember a abit bp6. :p

Heh, I had a BP6 with 512MB of ram, and two Celeron slot-1 333s running at 500mhz. It was a helluva experience using Win2k and trying to get a game to take advantage of it. I think I finally succeeded with a version of Quake 2, but then a patch broke the SMP. It's been a long damned time back, but I just remember it being frustrating and a bit of fun as well.

Heh, BP6 was a thing of inexpensive beauty. Dual-550MHz's for me. Really sad that nearly 10yrs later and an expensive platform like Skulltrail is the closest we come to touching those past golden days of the mainstream portion of the enthusiast movement. (air-cooling, soft-bios OC'ing, etc)

Meelis S

Mar 14, 2009
Originally posted by: davidrees
Multi GPU and Multi CPU are not at all the same.

GPUs run highly parallel, highly repetitive abstracted code and they all run it a little differently. By that, I mean the shader output from nvidia and ATI will always look a little different. On the other hand, if you are running code on a CPU, the output has to be consistent and predictable.

GPUs render as many frames and as much detail as possible in a specific time window. CPUs do the opposite - they use as much time as needed to execute specific instructions (generally).

If you want to do major rendering, why not just use a lot of machines? Don't they still use render farms? Would not the best solution be the most calculations per second per dollar? With energy and cooling costs possibly factored in?

You can build a single processor i7 system for under $1k - great, stack them floor to ceiling. Would you pay $3200 for a dual processor i7 system? It would save space and might save some power, but it does not seem like the ideal approach to me.

Farm is best solution now indeed, and actually u can fit multible int video mobos in 1 chase.

Doe's anybody know how memory works on DP Xeon mobo.
U can see visualy 50% memory slots shared to 1 cpu and 50% to other cpu.
But can all memry be shared. Soo if u have 32Gb 16+16 u don't have actually only 16 for 1 program to use.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
What do you plan on doing with all that horsepower?

watching his 1080p mkv files on one monitor while playing WoW on another.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: nyker96
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
What do you plan on doing with all that horsepower?

watching his 1080p mkv files on one monitor while playing WoW on another.

Some of us actually do work. Don't even get me started on WHERE it all gets stored and how FAST we need to push it to and from there. ;)

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
Would be nice if the dual socket boards were mainstream & affordable to the average Joe. Would make for some good times for the average enthusiast, but as many have pointed out, there's not much of a demand for it, hence the higher costs associated with mass production. Would be cool though, as I'd probably engage.