Why there aint multi CPU mobos?

Meelis S

Mar 14, 2009
Ok there are 2soc Intel and 4soc Amd.

But the average price range like multi GPU slot gamer boards.
Because 1 i7 cpu memory speed limit is 25Gb/s. But same time 6x ddr3 fsp 1333 will give 62,1 Gb/s.

Why not 4 or 8 soc mobos for home users. The memory speed is not that important, but the amount of memory and the cpu speed.

For starting 4 soc i7 920 with int video mobo and 12 memory slots.
I belive there are market for that larger than gaming one, because now there are only really expencive solutsions that aint really that fast for work and hobby.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Because 99.999999% of "home users" don't need that kind of computational power?

Keep in mind that a single i7 or i5 quad will handle nearly anything that even a heavy home user can throw at it. Watching HD movies, encoding video, gaming, etc - all these are no problem to a single quad.

Business environments are really the only place you have enough demand to even saturate i7 quads let alone multiple ones.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
First off do you think the cpu's that goes into a dual socket board is the same as a single socket cpu?

No..

Second off, do you think a home user will ever require more computational power then a single i7 with HT ON?
Not unless your hosting or u do a TON of encoding/db work.

Third.. we did have a consumer 2p board for the home user. It was called skulltrail, and it was insanely expensive.
Complete system totaled near 5 figures.

Price comparisions..

Single Socket Cpu = i920 the xeon counterpart is the W3520. 1 x QPI

Dual Socket CPU = X5520 which usually almost cost 2x more for the same CPU with just 2xQPI.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Hey dont get me wrong, I used to have a p2b-d with dual 500mhz p3's for home use. I just do not see the need for dual socket configs now that the on-die cores have multiplied.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i still have a 2p system.

The only reason why i keep it is because its 2p lappy processor system thats based off a server platform. Only consumes about 100W on full load.

Its called Sammy:
http://i125.photobucket.com/al...aigomorla/IMG_1083.jpg

However it will be replaced this year to a full blown 8 core 16 thread gainestown.

2p systems arent normal for home users. Its actually way beyond overkill.

mozartrules

Jun 13, 2009
Originally posted by: aigomorla
Single Socket Cpu = i920 the xeon counterpart is the W3520. 1 x QPI

Dual Socket CPU = X5520 which usually almost cost 2x more for the same CPU with just 2xQPI.

That is not even a reasonable comparison since the E5520 (there is no X5520) is only 2.26GHz. To get 2.66GHz you need an X5550 which is a cool $1000 (each!) at newegg. One advantage of the these server chips is that they are lower TDP (the E5520 is 80W and even the 2.93GHz X5570 that I have at work is only 95W).

The architecture is just a lot more complex with multi CPU so the price suffers. The complexity difference has gone up as keeping the huge caches synced up and having fast access to memory has become very important. Intel didn't make QPI so you could have a fast connection to your graphics card(s).

The problem is so dramatic that Intel hasn't made a four socket chipset for Nehalem yet. Look at the comparison article here between the dual CPU X5570 and the four CPU (24 cores) Dunnington for a good example why this isn't so simple to solve.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
OOPs your right its the E5520.

Meelis S

Mar 14, 2009
<<Because 99.999999% of "home users" don't need that kind of computational power?
How many of them go for multi GPU boards for speed. I belive them + people who need rendering power for 3DCG or video aint that low %.

<<Keep in mind that a single i7 or i5 quad will handle nearly anything.
But it would be nice to reduce processing time from month to weak, or from weak to below 2 days,
when only there would be multible slots for cpu-s and u have te possibility to choose more if u need.

<<What do you plan on doing with all that horsepower?
3DCG rendering.

<<First off do you think the cpu's that goes into a dual socket board is the same as a single socket cpu?
If u compare speed tests then u can see 2soc aint more than 2x faster than 1 single system. But 2soc cpu prices go up but speed doesn't:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
2x Xeon L5520 $1120 = 8242 speed points
4x i7 920 $1120 = 21780 speed points
0,66x Xeon W5590 = 5674 speed points

<<The complexity difference has gone up as keeping the huge caches synced up and having fast access to memory has become very important.
I'm not shure, but the dual soc xeon mobo has 2x of i7 memory access.
Why not to join 4 ITX mobos, take off 3 int videos, join power connection, remove back panel connections. Soo 8 memory slots, 4 cpu soc, 1 int video, nice small for work.
I belive there is space for more memory.

Why not cpu processing boards with water blocks cooling integrated like video cards.
Inside small ITX mobo memory and low W cpu + cooling block. It connects on PCI and will be seen as separate computer that can share work like home network computer via internet, but PCIE is soo mutch faster.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Meelis S
<<<Keep in mind that a single i7 or i5 quad will handle nearly anything.
But it would be nice to reduce processing time from month to weak, or from weak to below 2 days,
when only there would be multible slots for cpu-s and u have te possibility to choose more if u need.

plus the 2P systems are compatible with 64 bit spellcheckers. :sun:

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Dual socket mobos (AMD ones at least) are fairly inexpensive. Certainly within range of an enthusiast's budget. Even Intel dual socket mobos aren't that bad, as long as you're willing to run with low clocked chips.

ChaosDivine

May 23, 2008
Third.. we did have a consumer 2p board for the home user. It was called skulltrail, and it was insanely expensive.
Tsk, tsk. Forgetting about ye olde BP6 are we? :p

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
1: bloomfield is a 2s chip. Its identical to the 1s server chips with some different microcode and has the second QPI link disabled. The extra cost is for 2s validation, more extensive validation, and because business will pay for it
2: theres no reason a consumer can't buy a 2s system and use it for personal use. You just don't see people needing that much CPU power (and those who do, strangely enough, know it and use the 2s systems). The market for 4+s for home use, even for quasi business use (people who do trans-coding for pay, 0-day TV/movie pirating, high end for pay rendering, etc) know that and use the best systems they can afford. a separate market isn't needed.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: ChaosDivine

lol

not many people reading this thread were in the hobby that long to remember a abit bp6. :p

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

lol

not many people reading this thread were in the hobby that long to remember a abit bp6. :p

Heh, I had a BP6 with 512MB of ram, and two Celeron slot-1 333s running at 500mhz. It was a helluva experience using Win2k and trying to get a game to take advantage of it. I think I finally succeeded with a version of Quake 2, but then a patch broke the SMP. It's been a long damned time back, but I just remember it being frustrating and a bit of fun as well.

Apr 20, 2008
It just isn't necessary anymore. Todays quads handle everything great and the i7 wipes the floor with everything multithreaded.

No doubt, I always wanted a dual socket P3 when I was younger. To everyone who posted pics of those, thanks. nolstalgia at its finest.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

lol

I had an 8 way Corollary Pentium Pro system. :Q

http://www.cbronline.com/news/...s_for_8_way_smp_market

ChaosDivine

May 23, 2008
lol
Damn, I feel old. And RIP ABIT
rose.gif

Meelis S

Mar 14, 2009
Originally posted by: wwswimming
Originally posted by: Meelis S
<<<<Keep in mind that a single i7 or i5 quad will handle nearly anything.

plus the 2P systems are compatible with 64 bit spellcheckers. :sun:

But i will let spellchecking go as it goes till 8 soc comes out in good price/speed range. :cool: