Question why sli in games benchmarks suddenly started crashing to desktop

JustWannaKnow

Jan 21, 2014
connected and nvidia panel recognized and enabled no problem. as of about 2 weeks ago, when run in game bench, kicks out of game back to desktop. cancel sli in nvidia panel and all game benches work fine. switched card slots with same results. uninstalled/reinstalled drivers/software, still same(also ddu). no new hard/software installed. only difference, most 2 recent nvidia driver updates. did clean install with both after initial install.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Guess you should try rolling back the driver to the last known working version if that's the only thing you changed...

I guess the natural follow up question is... why are you still using SLI? What cards and what function? Are you sure the second card is even enhancing performance?

Reactions: Ajay

JustWannaKnow

Jan 21, 2014
Guess you should try rolling back the driver to the last known working version if that's the only thing you changed...

I guess the natural follow up question is... why are you still using SLI? What cards and what function? Are you sure the second card is even enhancing performance?
evga 3090ti ftw3 ultra. main use is video edit. yes the sli improves time it takes enough that i use it. not running based on gaming. although in shadow of tomb raider where sli is useable, it adds about 75% to fps. i will find and role back driver this evening. thanks for time in replying.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
what PSU are you running?
Please tell me your running a 1300W+ and a modern one top, as just having 1 of them alone, can cause havok with transient load spikes.
Because it feels like your PSU is going NOPE! Not gonna load it once the second one fires up to load.

Lastly, SLI is broken after 1000 series for games.
It was broken on the 1000 series, but it really really broke and was sort of not even supported anymore on most of the videocards once the 2000 series hit.

SLI on the 3000 series is mostly for developers, who need it, not for gamers, as it offers almost no performance gains over a single.

But again, im gonna point to your Power Supply at this moment.
It seems like your tripping load protection, or the second GPU is not pulling enough power, its causing the game to crash to desktop.

Reactions: bigboxes

JustWannaKnow

Jan 21, 2014
what PSU are you running?
Please tell me your running a 1300W+ and a modern one top, as just having 1 of them alone, can cause havok with transient load spikes.
Because it feels like your PSU is going NOPE! Not gonna load it once the second one fires up to load.

Lastly, SLI is broken after 1000 series for games.
It was broken on the 1000 series, but it really really broke and was sort of not even supported anymore on most of the videocards once the 2000 series hit.

SLI on the 3000 series is mostly for developers, who need it, not for gamers, as it offers almost no performance gains over a single.

But again, im gonna point to your Power Supply at this moment.
It seems like your tripping load protection, or the second GPU is not pulling enough power, its causing the game to crash to desktop.
PSU is EVGA 1600 watt titanium. Video editing is reason for sli, but y not game also. Have psu tester so I'll check that. Hope it's not psu, only about 4 months old.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
PSU is EVGA 1600 watt titanium. Video editing is reason for sli, but y not game also. Have psu tester so I'll check that. Hope it's not psu, only about 4 months old.

I have no objections to you needing SLI then.
I am still leaning on you might be tripping something.
3090Ti's on SLI under full load, goes beyond laughing to awe stricken value in terms of wattage.

JustWannaKnow

Jan 21, 2014
so i went back 7 video drivers one at a time using ddu and clean install check box with issue persisting. used psu tester and all is proper there as well. next is roll back bios and/or reset windows. feel free to chime in with any anythings. thanks for any guessy stabs. also been trying to disable any background unnecessaries, haven`t found a culprit yet.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
im gonna take a guess and say your still tripping something possibly power wise.
3090ti can draw a theoretical ~500W each.
Having 2 means your pulling 1000W or roughly 84 amps on the PCI-E lane.
Adding transient spikes, it might even be too much for a 1600W PSU, unless your located in EU, and your on a 240V grid.

84Amps as i said is no longer a nelson "HAHA" but more of a "OMGWTFBBQ" value to be pulling.

If possible do you have another PSU 800W-1000W?
I would try to dual PSU the second 3090ti and see if you still have the issues.

JustWannaKnow

Jan 21, 2014
im gonna take a guess and say your still tripping something possibly power wise.
3090ti can draw a theoretical ~500W each.
Having 2 means your pulling 1000W or roughly 84 amps on the PCI-E lane.
Adding transient spikes, it might even be too much for a 1600W PSU, unless your located in EU, and your on a 240V grid.

84Amps as i said is no longer a nelson "HAHA" but more of a "OMGWTFBBQ" value to be pulling.

If possible do you have another PSU 800W-1000W?
I would try to dual PSU the second 3090ti and see if you still have the issues.
the more bewildering part is that i was originally using an asus thor 1200 watt and it was to limit, but no issues. reason for going to the 1600. it just started seemingly from nothing. ramble ramble yap yap. i`ll connect the thor as well and see if that makes difference. and not on 240v, but i am isolated on a 20 amp circuit consisting of only 4 20 amp outlets. so there should be nothing taking away from the power requested. again thanks.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Lower the 2 GPU‘s power limits to 50% in MSI Afterburner and try again.

If no crash, keep increasing power limit until you crash. If you crash at 50% power limit, it is most likely software related issue.

Reactions: aigomorla

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Lower the 2 GPU‘s power limits to 50% in MSI Afterburner and try again.

If no crash, keep increasing power limit until you crash. If you crash at 50% power limit, it is most likely software related issue.

^ +1 to THIS...
why didn't i think of this...

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I don't have any in-depth advice to offer, but might add that if you aren't using the PerFE 12 cables, make sure every single PCIe output is connected to a separate PCIe output on that power supply (since you have a ton of them). Don't use any pigtail outputs to connect like 2 of the 3 connections to the same cable going back to the Power Supply. I believe the PerFE 12 cables allow you to just make 2 connections back to your power supply by connecting directly from the card to 2 of the EVGA modular VGA connections on your power supply, so you don't have to worry about it in that case.

JustWannaKnow

Jan 21, 2014
Sorry for the delay, life. So i used precision x1 to drop the power to 50% and still crashed. went through and removed things one at a time but still nothing. Not much on, so did win reset and all was well again. I've been putting things back on slowly but havent encountered what software was problem. Thanks huge to those that responded. Know is getting old, but if i come across what caused, i'll post that info.