Why rural areas need the cities

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
So outraged... and yet in rural land, all the top news is 24/7 about how Portland is burning, the latest murders in Chicago, liberal elites and welfare queens, and the need for "law and order" in the "immoral and decadent" cities who, it is repeatedly said, don't how to govern themselves, and shouldn't be allowed to.
And all of that, literally Fox news every night in a nutshell, is exactly what you're so outraged about here, turned the other way around.
Sucks, doesn't it?

I don't see where you see that I am "outraged". I know you are just trying to turn it around, but you couldn't be further from the truth.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The way I read this thread is the red rural parts of the US who hate city liberals do so for good reason. They are held in contempt by city people and not for the reasons, here in the US but might have some merit in England.

I saw this as a liberal attempt to tell the rubes they should be more grateful for the blessings cities afford them. I merely tried to suggest why that kind of effort won't get one very far. You won't get much thanks from people you put down. You will get a return on your contempt which then goes in a circle, each demonizing the other. Cities need rural areas and rural areas need cities and I would like to see the best for both.

Which came first, the hate for cities or the hate for rural towns?

Now ask yourself who has better representation, rural folks or city folks? Then maybe you can understand the dynamic between the two.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Which came first, the hate for cities or the hate for rural towns?

Now ask yourself who has better representation, rural folks or city folks? Then maybe you can understand the dynamic between the two.

When other people cop shitty attitudes & beliefs it's not license to act the same way. If we don't want to be seen as the enemy we shouldn't act like we are. The rural/urban divide is a phony construct. The real divide is between the exploiters & the exploited. The transnational financial elite has been hollowing out our economy for 40 years under the guise of trickle down economics. Somehow, some way, we keep voting for more of the same.

Reactions: Muse
Nov 8, 2012
When other people cop shitty attitudes & beliefs it's not license to act the same way. If we don't want to be seen as the enemy we shouldn't act like we are. The rural/urban divide is a phony construct. The real divide is between the exploiters & the exploited. The transnational financial elite has been hollowing out our economy for 40 years under the guise of trickle down economics. Somehow, some way, we keep voting for more of the same.
I entirely agree. Keeping the peasants fighting amongst each other instead of worrying about the actual important issues in life.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
By this point, the peasants have fundamental ideological differences that are not reconcilable.

They are beyond help, many are anti democratic fascists now, they want to restrict the rights of voters, women, minorities, and they would support a Christian theocratic oligarchy..

At this point, they are as much my enemy now as the most corrupt wealthy.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I didn't claim he was right or wrong only he had excessive bias and hatred for people that do not live in cities.

Backwards, Hicks, Ignorance, Stupid, Dumbfuckery ...

This isn't the only thread this is obvious.

I do wonder who will farm animals and grow crops for these very important city dwellers.

What didn’t I comprehend, specifically? Can you quote it?

I already have. See above.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Doesn't this kind of go both ways fellas? I mean without modern agriculture there would be no modern cities and without modern cities there would be no need for modern agriculture. In all honesty it seems like a circular argument.

Of course I could be wrong but if anyone can link me to a 200 acre chicken farm in the Chicagoland area it goes without saying that each one relies on the other.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
So you aren’t disputing anything he said, just claiming bias on his part outside of his argument.

Thanks for clearing it up. Guess what he says stands then.

Just because I didn't address his other statement doesn't make him correct. I think his bias slants his ideas.

That is all I said in the first place, but you always seem to want to make a "thing" out of my posts.

I think you just crave attention.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Doesn't this kind of go both ways fellas? I mean without modern agriculture there would be no modern cities and without modern cities there would be no need for modern agriculture. In all honesty it seems like a circular argument.

Of course I could be wrong but if anyone can link me to a 200 acre chicken farm in the Chicagoland area it goes without saying that each one relies on the other.

You are missing the entire point. Pretty much throughout history the progressives have supported things that would support everyone - from the time of FDR with things like the rural electrification act, bringing infrastructure of all kinds to lesser served areas that were not necessarily essential to the nationwide economy to the modern day, where Obama supported and now Biden, bringing broadband to rural areas to give them more opportunity. At the same time the more blue urban areas generally support things that would benefit all like health insurance and education. Hell even the postal service subsidizes the rural routes as it costs the same to mail a letter to more sparsely populated rural communities as it does to dense more cost efficient urban areas. City progressives have been pretty much all for this stuff - while rural regressives constantly rail against redistribution of wealth or needing any government help - yet they constantly take the redistribution of wealth from wealthier blue states to red, and from bluer metro areas to redder rural areas.

So no, it's not even remotely the same. And now these people mostly support an anti-democratic fascist in Trump. The differences have gotten too large. They live in denial of their own reliance on all the things the government has given them and try to deny it to anyone else. They live on hate and ignorance and now are anti-democratic. Time's up.

They can still trade their agricultural wares, just not be subsidized anymore by those damned blue people who support evil shit like the gays and social services and women's rights, the same blue people that it turns out pay more, and really, are the only ones trying to get them more help anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: bbhaag and ivwshane

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

If you don’t understand where the resentment comes from how do you plan on fixing it? That’s the point I was making.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
By this point, the peasants have fundamental ideological differences that are not reconcilable.

They are beyond help, many are anti democratic fascists now, they want to restrict the rights of voters, women, minorities, and they would support a Christian theocratic oligarchy..

At this point, they are as much my enemy now as the most corrupt wealthy.

I think the numbers of that cadre are greatly exaggerated. Were the situation as you believe, Trump would have had a lot more participants for the assault on the Capitol.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
You are missing the entire point. Pretty much throughout history the progressives have supported things that would support everyone - from the time of FDR with things like the rural electrification act, bringing infrastructure of all kinds to lesser served areas that were not necessarily essential to the nationwide economy to the modern day, where Obama supported and now Biden, bringing broadband to rural areas to give them more opportunity. At the same time the more blue urban areas generally support things that would benefit all like health insurance and education. Hell even the postal service subsidizes the rural routes as it costs the same to mail a letter to more sparsely populated rural communities as it does to dense more cost efficient urban areas. City progressives have been pretty much all for this stuff - while rural regressives constantly rail against redistribution of wealth or needing any government help - yet they constantly take the redistribution of wealth from wealthier blue states to red, and from bluer metro areas to redder rural areas.

So no, it's not even remotely the same. And now these people mostly support an anti-democratic fascist in Trump. The differences have gotten too large. They live in denial of their own reliance on all the things the government has given them and try to deny it to anyone else. They live on hate and ignorance and now are anti-democratic. Time's up.

They can still trade their agricultural wares, just not be subsidized anymore by those damned blue people who support evil shit like the gays and social services and women's rights, the same blue people that it turns out pay more, and really, are the only ones trying to get them more help anyways.
Your disdain for rural areas is showing most likely because of the way they vote. You have to look beyond that and realize that the only reason great presidents like FDR and Obama brought these infrastructure changes to rural areas is because those areas needed the infrastructure to supply growing cities with the things they needed from rural areas.

I'm sorry but your reluctance to admit this is just wrong. Wool for those socks you bought at JCPenneys or Walmart wasn't grown in a factory inside a big city. That great selection of produce you bought at Kroger wasn't grown in an urban factory.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Your disdain for rural areas is showing most likely because of the way they vote. You have to look beyond that and realize that the only reason great presidents like FDR and Obama brought these infrastructure changes to rural areas is because those areas needed the infrastructure to supply growing cities with the things they needed from rural areas.

I'm sorry but your reluctance to admit this is just wrong. Wool for those socks you bought at JCPenneys or Walmart wasn't grown in a factory inside a big city. That great selection of produce you bought at Kroger wasn't grown in an urban factory.
So tell me this: why don't they get their damn shots? 'cause they don't trust the gomint, that's how goddamn dumb they are. Straw coming out of their brains. Trmpies won't get der shots, dumbass motherfuckers don't know what's good for em. And they'll vote for the asshole again if they get the chance. Just shit for brains.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So tell me this: why don't they get their damn shots? 'cause they don't trust the gomint, that's how goddamn dumb they are. Straw coming out of their brains.
I don't know the answer to that beyond a generic one that placates to the great divide in American politics. What I can tell you is that it is not a one way street. Both big cities and rural ones both need each other and always will. That is why great presidents realize this and provide funds for BOTH areas.

You cannot have one without the other. It is impossible.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

You think most rural residents are farmers? Do some research. It's not even close to a majority, and in fact a small minority.

The socks you are buying from Walmart are most likely made in China are probably made with Chinese cotton btw.

Again you miss the entire point. I'm not sure how many times I have to explain it:

They can keep doing what they are doing, just stop doing it with blue state money and blue urban area subsidies. Obviously we need agriculture, but be self-sufficient like they say they are instead of take more dollars than they give and deny the rest of society the ability to provide services that are beneficial to all by being in denial of all the benefits they themselves receive. Build their own infrastructure, we'll build our own, and we can trade products. Stop sucking on the teat of the government you claim to not need and hamstringing that same government from helping everybody else with your gerrymandered districts, overpowered Senators, archaic electoral college, and the voter suppression tactics of your politicians, and now simply supporting a guy who doesn't even care about Democracy at all.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think the numbers of that cadre are greatly exaggerated. Were the situation as you believe, Trump would have had a lot more participants for the assault on the Capitol.

Most people are passive and Trump, while creating the the big lie about the election results which created the environment for the insurrection, did not actively encourage armed revolution enough to truly inspire his cult base to show up in the first place. It was a rag tag group of the most hardcore, which he then encouraged to assault the capitol. He also did make changes in the Department of Defense personnel enough to slow down a response to an assault. He was hoping for a bigger turnout. They were simply disorganized. That's all. Most of the GQP sympathizes with the insurrectionists, they just didn't have enough guidance to show up with them on that day. To convince a bunch of people that it's possible to overthrow the American government would take more organization and more organized leadership. And they got within minutes of halting the peaceful transfer of power anyway.

If Trump actively campaigned for an armed revolution, it would have been a bloodbath.

Don't be so naive.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Just because I didn't address his other statement doesn't make him correct. I think his bias slants his ideas.

That is all I said in the first place, but you always seem to want to make a "thing" out of my posts.

I think you just crave attention.
Okay so then you are saying his ideas are incorrect as they are slanted. What about his post was incorrect?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't know the answer to that beyond a generic one that placates to the great divide in American politics. What I can tell you is that it is not a one way street. Both big cities and rural ones both need each other and always will. That is why great presidents realize this and provide funds for BOTH areas.

You cannot have one without the other. It is impossible.
I have no argument with that. I love Americana and country music is a huge part of that, in fact Americana doesn't exist without its rural contributions and they are magnificent... not all, no, but plenty. And obviously not all rural Americans are dumbasses, plenty of them never voted for Trump and I assume that plenty of them abhor him (although I don't recall hearing/seeing that beyond some songs... but those do count for A LOT).

Still, Twupm getting the electoral votes in so many states makes me really angry and distrustful of rural America, despite these ruminations and considerations. Pisses me off and I don't trust southerners as a rule. I gotta figure plenty are great but as a rule, I have to be suspicious. No, I haven't set foot in southern America for decades. Even so, I don't figure I'm out of touch.

There are enclaves of tvumpies not far from my urban semi-suburban town (which has no visible aspect of GQP whatsoever), I mean ~20 miles away, they have had marches (in their own area) with signs displaying how stupid they are, saw it on TV. But if they come to my town (Berkeley, CA), they typically incite violence... AFAIK they stopped coming here and doing that a few years ago. Antifa take their role seriously here.

Edit: Now, placating to a divide in American politics is ZERO reason to not get your shots. It's 100% stupidity and inexcusable. If I lived where I knew people who wouldn't get their shots I'd tell them forget it, I don't want to know you until you're vaccinated.

Last edited: