Why on earth did we broker this guy's release?

Aug 10, 2001

<< Stopping to inspect bullet holes in a radiator and picture frame, Arafat said, "This is a crime carried out by racists and Nazis who think that they can destroy the will of the Palestinian people, but I want to tell them one thing. These people [Palestinians] defeated all those who tried to colonize this holy land from the beginning of history. >>

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/05/02/mideast/index.html

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Because they didn't have anything better to do?

Anyone who listens to that moron is stupider than he is.

The real solution would be to have killed him and allow the Palestinians to get some real leadership. Arafat is on crack.

Aug 10, 2001

<< Because they didn't have anything better to do?

The real solution would be to have killed him and allow the Palestinians to get some real leadership. Arafat is on crack.
>>

He called the Israelis "Nazis" yesterday, too.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
<<He called the Israelis "Nazis" yesterday, too. >>

that's proof positive.

Aug 10, 2001

<< Because as a country we think less of Israel than you do. >>

This brilliant plan is only going to lead to more death and more destruction on both sides. This feels like Beirut all over again. As long as we keep legitimizing this madman, the sane Palestinian leaders will not be able to rise to the forefront.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
I'm no international relations analyst but heres my take. OK, they let him go. So now he gets a chance to due a little peace brokering(again). If the suicide bombings continue, he's dead. Hey, we gave him a chance and he blew it. You know he's never going to change so he's as good as dead.:D

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< This feels like Beirut all over again >>

Does this mean we can expect Ariel Sharon to commit mass murder again?

Frankly as a country our only concern should be how that situation effects our plans to eliminate Hussien and Bin Laden. Anything else is for those who have the luxury of being Bleeding Hearts.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001

<< These people [Palestinians] defeated all those who tried to colonize this holy land from the beginning of history. >>

He's not really up on history is he? That land has been nothing but colonized over the millenia.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Well, the stability of the region does affect us. It affects our oil prices which in turn affects our economy. Also, small wars have a way of becoming big ones, isolationism isn't the answer, it never worked in the past.

<<

<< This feels like Beirut all over again >>

Does this mean we can expect Ariel Sharon to commit mass murder again?

Frankly as a country our only concern should be how that situation effects our plans to eliminate Hussien and Bin Laden. Anything else is for those who have the luxury of being Bleeding Hearts.
>>

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

<< Well, the stability of the region does affect us. It affects our oil prices which in turn affects our economy. Also, small wars have a way of becoming big ones, isolationism isn't the answer, it never worked in the past. >>

True.

I still think Arafat and sharon should be given a large platter with an assortment of cuting and bludgeoning objects, told to choose their weapon, and fight to the death.

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<<

<< Because they didn't have anything better to do?

>>

He called the Israelis "Nazis" yesterday, too.
>>

Shoot, I've heard some people are here calling Jews Nazis.

Anyone see that great Acting job Arafat did on the church of nativity?

That moron missed his calling.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< Well, the stability of the region does affect us. It affects our oil prices which in turn affects our economy. Also, small wars have a way of becoming big ones, isolationism isn't the answer, it never worked in the past.
>>

No where did I mention Isolationism. I was just explaining why I thought the US was dealing with this situation the way it has by giving Arafat more respect than many of you who are Pro Israel think he deserves.

Aug 10, 2001
If people actually cared about the lives of the Palestinian people (which they don't) they would allow the Israelis to kill Arafat.

Aug 10, 2001

<< Does this mean we can expect Ariel Sharon to commit mass murder again? >>

Was Sharon the leader of the Lebanese Christian Phalangist militia?

EDIT: I still hate Sharon, though.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
What else could they do? Hold him til hell freezes over?

Can't kill him..He'd become a martyr and more innocent Israeli's would die

Can't exile him..see above

Can't throw him in prison..see above

So barter him for 6 people you can do something with and the "above" doesn't happen

Plus, you don't have to hear him whining about having to go potty every two hours ;)

Aug 10, 2001

<< What else could they do? Hold him til hell freezes over?

Can't kill him..He'd become a martyr and more innocent Israeli's would die

Can't exile him..see above

Can't throw him in prison..see above

So barter him for 6 people you can do something with and the "above" doesn't happen

Plus, you don't have to hear him whining about having to go potty every two hours ;)
>>

Yeah, the best thing to do is let him stay in power so that he can destroy his people.
rolleye.gif

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

<<

<< Does this mean we can expect Ariel Sharon to commit mass murder again? >>

Was Sharon the leader of the Lebanese Christian Phalangist militia?

EDIT: I still hate Sharon, though.
>>

Nope, but he did let them into the camps after the Palestinians had killed their President or something. It's just a question of whether Sharon knew that the militia would slaughter all the people that they did. THE UN's gripe is that the Palestinians were basically under their care and Israel let the wolf in the chicken coop.