Why not allow the sale of dog meat?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to cannibalism for any who wish to partake, but I can't really think of a way it could exist without being exploitative (or, you know, murder)

Meh, if someone dies of natural causes they could specify in their will that they're ok with their body being used for cannibalism.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Meh, if someone dies of natural causes they could specify in their will that they're ok with their body being used for cannibalism.

Overlooking the whole icky eating humans bit, how many other animals that died of natural causes do we eat? Generally we kill them when they are young, healthy and tasty.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Dogs aren't cheap to breed for meat. They're omnivores with a carnivorous bent... you know how much beef it would take to grow a dog?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Dogs aren't cheap to breed for meat. They're omnivores with a carnivorous bent... you know how much beef it would take to grow a dog?

Exactly.

Plus, if dog meat is going to be sold it's going to regulated by the FDA etc. I think people envision rounding up strays etc. I don't see that being allowed. I would expect kennels to be required and that's expensive.

I think there's a pretty good reason that historically people raise only herbivores, but just hunt for carnivores.

Fern

Last edited: