Why no Blackberry form factor Android phones?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
maybe because rim nearly went out of business sellling fones like that??

That's a red herring, the keyboard wasn't BlackBerry's problem and tons of people held onto their devices because of the keyboard and form factor.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
That's a red herring, the keyboard wasn't BlackBerry's problem and tons of people held onto their devices because of the keyboard and form factor.
That's true. I know quite a few people who held on to their ancient BBs because they refused to give up their keyboards, while the rest of us went to iPhone or Android. They're really excited about the new BB10 keyboard model coming soon.

I betcha that model will get decent sales numbers, at least by current BB standards.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

It definitely wasn't the main problem by far, but I can tell you that I REALLY prefer full screen over half screen, so much so that it's an automatic deal breaker for me.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I get your point, but I would really like to see an explanation as to why the Maxx is the gimped version.

Well that's easy. There are people out there that think thinness is the biggest factor, and don't care about the extra battery life. I'm not saying I agree with them, just that they exist.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Two years ago, and it was meh.

I agree that it would be great to see high end phones from other platforms with keyboards. The problem is, in recent years, all of the phones with keyboards have been mid range - it's the same thing afflicting those asking for smaller screens. People shout "the market has spoken! people want big, thin, touch screen phones!" but the market hasn't really given viable, high end alternatives (with the same marketing support).

The last time an Android or Windows phone with a keyboard got the high end + marketing treatment was the original Droid, and I think we all know how that went.

edit: As far as which is better, I mean, I technically CAN type as fast with various touch screen keyboards, but I don't want to. I find typing on screens irritating, even if I can do it. I just find the experience of a good physical keyboard much more enjoyable to use, which is why my SIM card often finds its way back into my Bold 9900, despite how outdated it is in other ways.

Well, I didn't say it was any good ;)

Also, I forgot about the Dell Venue Pro. MS should just buy Dell and tell them to make a nice WP8 version, available on all carriers. *dreams*

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Well that's easy. There are people out there that think thinness is the biggest factor, and don't care about the extra battery life. I'm not saying I agree with them, just that they exist.
Yep. Furthermore I know a lot of people that refuse to get phones that are as big as the RAZR HD or Galaxy S III in terms of screen size. There are smaller Android phones, but most of them are gimped in terms of features. So, they stick with iPhone... or now BB Z10.

And I agree with them. My next phone will likely not have a 4.7" or larger screen... unless I can get it for uber cheap like I did with my RAZR HD.

DB10

Feb 2, 2013
The last QWERTY phone I truly fell in love with was the Nokia E90. Windows Phone would be no good for it thanks to a portrait-only start screen, but if someone ripped off the design and put an OS that fits on it, I'd seriously consider it.

nokia-n8-qwerty.png

n8qwerty_2sim_nokia_duos.jpg

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I almost bit on the Dell Venue Pro a couple years ago but held off because I didn't think Dell was really invested in the mobile space.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
It definitely wasn't the main problem by far, but I can tell you that I REALLY prefer full screen over half screen, so much so that it's an automatic deal breaker for me.

A bigger screen is nice if you use your phone as your TV and gaming console, but for people like me who primarily use their phones to communicate, a physical keyboard is a great benefit for not much tradeoff. The Blackberry size screen is fine IMO because it's more square

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Despite Android having its origins as a Blackberry clone, modern Android apps aren't designed for physical keyboards, whether it's a physical or landscape slider, or portrait QWERTY. All are doomed to fail.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I have Swype on my Kyocera Rise and I don't like it. It's not anything close to physical typing.

This.

Swype is balls, as is all touch typing on a ~4" or less screen. Also I hate autorotate and like being able to control it by flipping the keyboard out.

I'm going to horde a pile of Kyoceras for fear that no one will ever release a better phone with a keyboard.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Despite Android having its origins as a Blackberry clone, modern Android apps aren't designed for physical keyboards, whether it's a physical or landscape slider, or portrait QWERTY. All are doomed to fail.

What do you mean? Apps work fine with slider phones. And we already have a huge variety of resolutions and aspects so I would think apps would work fine with a more square 4:3 Blackberry style screen

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
What do you mean? Apps work fine with slider phones. And we already have a huge variety of resolutions and aspects so I would think apps would work fine with a more square 4:3 Blackberry style screen

Exactly. Some apps will do stupid things when trying to be helpful like popup the soft keyboard even when a physical keyboard is present and extended, but they're the exception and shouldn't be catered to.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I think it's no accident that Blackberry's first BB10 phone is a full touch screen and not a keyboard phone.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I don't understand.. what do you mean why no blackberry form factor for Android? Take a trip to nearby Bestbuy or something. You will see dozens of Android phones with hard keyboards. They're out there, just not as popular.

Physical keys are obviously superior to virtual ones - I still remember the days when I could type without looking at the phone and I typed fast. Like really fast. But like many others I had to make a compromise because phones now do more than making calls and texting. Taking pictures, reading documents on the go, reading web, emergency navigation, etc,. are now part of smart phone's job and I made a conscious choice despite available choices. (and yes, physical attractiveness is also a part of the compromise)

DB10

Feb 2, 2013
I still remember the days when I could type without looking at the phone and I typed fast. Like really fast.

Maybe it's just the Windows Phone keyboard, but I can do this just fine.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
In other words, screen estate became a premium for modern smart phones. There were times when voice calls and texting, and perhaps emails, were the only thing that phones needed to do. In that environment, hard keys did make sense and were even desirable since for voice calls you didn't really need the screen anyway.

But imagine taking pictures, watching Youtube video, or doing video calls, or reading documents/emails, looking for directions on the OP's Q10. And compare that to Z10 or simply imagine a larger screen on Q10 without hard keys. You could see why people might forgo the convenience of hard keys for texting and emails.

Don't get me wrong I do not like touch keyboards. They have never been satisfactory for me. But still I choose a larger screen over hard keys. I don't know what future holds when it comes to I/O interface, but I hope something better than touch keyboard comes along without sacrificing screen estate.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Exactly. Some apps will do stupid things when trying to be helpful like popup the soft keyboard even when a physical keyboard is present and extended, but they're the exception and shouldn't be catered to.
As an example, I have run my Android tablet (Nexus 7) with a wired keyboard, and in that context the keyboard doesn't pop up in the apps I use. If an app were to do that, then there's something wrong with the app, because it's not normal Android behaviour.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Hardware keys is kind of a dying form factor. Even though software keys aren't as good, they're good enough.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
As an example, I have run my Android tablet (Nexus 7) with a wired keyboard, and in that context the keyboard doesn't pop up in the apps I use. If an app were to do that, then there's something wrong with the app, because it's not normal Android behaviour.

Yay. Wasn't that weird? I didn't know what to expect when I plugged in my wireless mouse dongle to my Nexus 7. It simply worked as if it were on a PC. It was strange yet cool. Scrolling mouse wheel is ridiculously fast compared to my fingers!

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Not weird, but expected as far as I'm concerned.

I do admit though that I was a little bit (pleasantly) surprised when I found out my Apple USB Ethernet dongle also works fine on the Nexus 7. So why use wired Ethernet for a tablet? I rarely do but sometimes I do because I'll stream video over the network on the Nexus 7 on a desk stand, while I do paperwork. However, in my home office, my WiFi signal is poor so it stutters over WiFi. It's not an issue on my computer because it's wired, but sometimes when doing work I need the computer, so that's when I use the Nexus 7.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Because BlackBerry used to be about email, and email is just a small part of what most smartphone users do with their phones now.

You can easily get by with onscreen keyboard for texting and web browsing. And as has been said, larger screens are a priority for many Android users.

I would love to see a Lightning 2 (Dell Venue Pro 2). I had the original for a few months, it was a surprisingly sleek and comfortable phone to use, and the keyboard was almost perfect. The AMOLED screen is still one of the best I've used.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
They don't make them because they don't sell and they only work in one orientation.