Why It's Time for the Tea Party

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The TP probably would not exist if McCain had been elected. Dems did enough things to piss the average person off and get them to start the TP movement.

Actually, you're right. The tea party would not exist if McCain had been elected. In fact, I think there's a good chance none of us would exist. He'd have started bombing countries left and right and eventually started a nuclear apocalypse. In other words he'd have done exactly what I expect from one of the most worthless pieces of shit to ever serve in Congress.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
The TP probably would not exist if McCain had been elected. Dems did enough things to piss the average person off and get them to start the TP movement.

It would exist but would still be the Ron Paul version. With a Republican in the White House, there would be no need for the Republicans to take over a movement.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
In late 2008, we had an economic collapse and recession, and because of that, the democrats swept the elections and took power. Many liberals at the time believed that this was a longer term political realignment toward the left. They were wrong. Now in 2010, we are in the midst of the same terrible recession, but now the democrats are being blamed and we have "populist rage" against the democrats. Naturally, conservatives consider this to be a long term shift in political alignment. It isn't any more true now than it was in 2008. It's the economy, stupid.

- wolf

Another good assessment. If the dems had started a little slower on their left/liberal political agenda and really focused on the economy first they would be better off today. For example, people wanted improvements in healthcare but not a total overall that created so much uncertainty in an already bad economy. Like you, I think the Repubs will do the same thing and we will go to their extreme. I know I keep saying this but we need more moderates on both sides.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Actually, you're right. The tea party would not exist if McCain had been elected. In fact, I think there's a good chance none of us would exist. He'd have started bombing countries left and right and eventually started a nuclear apocalypse. In other words he'd have done exactly what I expect from one of the most worthless pieces of shit to ever serve in Congress.

You're another one of the extreme problematics. You are just as bad as the right that said Obama would turn us into a communist Muslim county in a year.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
That's not true. There was very strong support for both wars when they started. Both in the nation and in congress.

Because the public was fed lies and innuendo as truth and swallowed it hook line and sinker.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Another good assessment. If the dems had started a little slower on their left/liberal political agenda and really focused on the economy first they would be better off today. For example, people wanted improvements in healthcare but not a total overall that created so much uncertainty in an already bad economy. Like you, I think the Repubs will do the same thing and we will go to their extreme. I know I keep saying this but we need more moderates on both sides.

Obama ran on healthcare. Healthcare outrage was fed by a misinformation campaign by the patients bill of rights idiots from florida and outright lies about death panels.

All the polls that said people were unhappy about health care included the people that were unhappy it didnt include a single payer system....

If you look at polls that ask substantive questions about the health care bill people like it in pieces. What they objected to was the protracted process and the media blitz that surrounded it...

The real reason corpratists hate the health care law is the small part of it that mandates 85 cents on the dollar of what you pay has to actually go to treatment. If they do not use that you get a refund...

Thats sooo awful for the common person isnt it..

In regards to the populist rage against the bailouts... They are almost all payed back and saved millions of jobs and prevented unemployment from going above 11 percent..

In regards to the populist outrage on the stimulus if you look at polls that ask if they liked their tax cuts then a majority actually like it. The remaining 400 billion of the stimulus prevented another great depression..

Look at issues on an individual basis. If you look at generic polls all you do is see where the media wind blows....

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I very much disagree lanyap. There is a lot of evidence that Dick Armie and others got together the funding to recruit and train the tea party in disruptive town hall meeting tactics. As a kind of side show running dog everyone paid attention to while the GOP disrupted all legislation to improve the economy. And that part of the main stream GOP plot has worked to perfection, the problem is the tea party is now cannibalizing the GOP like some Frankenstein monster.

But still as wolf pointed out, its the economy stupid, and the economy is going down the tubes due to unaddressed economic structural problems totally unrelated to deficit spending. In short, we took a long time digging ourselves into this economic hole, and its going to take a long and careful course to dig us out of the mess. While everyone demands the instant gratification none of us will get.

Obama is trying to steer us on a given course, the GOP is trying to say, back up and lets go dig ourselves into a deeper economic hole, and the tea party is saying turn hard right and run off the road, while basically behaving like the family dog who gets under the drivers feet while the car is moving. And because they are just dumb dogs, they have no idea if they are hitting the gas or the brakes. But we may be in the frying pan now, but its a hell of a lot worse to jump out and end up in the fire.

But in late 1929, Hoover tried all them tea party ideas, and instead of helping, we got 25% unemployment. Its all in knowing the difference between the gas and the brakes, and not putting the pedal to the metal on either.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
When Obama's course is over the edge of the cliff you sure as hell don't put it in D. You put it R! The majority of this nation thinks were heading in the wrong direction, you don't leave it in D if you're going the wrong direction, you put it in R.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Idea that the TP was founded as a backlash against a Liberal Agenda is hilarious. There was no time for such an Agenda to even begin before the TP started.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What I find encouraging about the Tea Party is that they are against what BOTH parties have been doing. Each of the established parties are only interested in tearing the other one down. Having a large group not in love with either party might bring some positive change.

Jimmah

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2005
As much as I dislike the TP, it would be interesting to have them in some sort of power position, as least from an outsiders perspective. Your country is so beyond messed up seeing someone else take the wheel of that runaway train while putting the pedal on the floor could be highly amusing. Or we'll have apocalypse. Either can be seen as amusing.

Dec 30, 2004
I just need someone to tell me which parties to vote for that are Tea Party candidates locally and I'm all over it.

Dec 30, 2004
The Idea that the TP was founded as a backlash against a Liberal Agenda is hilarious. There was no time for such an Agenda to even begin before the TP started.

Wait so you're actually saying there is no Liberal Agenda? LOL. Keep denying, this is why the Tea Party is going to keep gaining power.