Why isn't the new Enermax 330watt AMD approved??

megatexel

Jan 13, 2000
I was looking into a new case and wanted the Enermax because it has 2 fans for exhaust. On AMD's recommended page the Enermax EG351P-VE isn't approved for 1.2Ghz operation.

anybody know whats up?

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
AMD also didn't have Abit on their approved motherboard list for a little bit. Their "approved" hardware fluctuates like you won't believe. I'd say don't worry about it, Enermax is the sh!t, la. I like Sparkle, also, which is what I have running my 1.1 T-Bird.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Geekish, Abit's quality and Enermax's quality are values on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001

<< Why isn't the new Enermax 330watt AMD approved?? >>

most likely it's because AMD hasn't formally tested it yet with the 1.2GHz thunderbird so it isn't &quot; approved&quot;. that doesn't mean that people aren't using the two together successfully! :)

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000

<< Yucky - That's your opinion. >>

Closer to fact... Enermax is very high quality... Abit has very high RMA rates and they are getting dropped by retailers all over, I know GamePC.com was the latest to drop them... 2 local stores by me also dropped them for the same reason. RMA rates arent opinion their fact.

Instigator

Mar 31, 2000
I totally agree with what Dulanic said about quality. One thing tho, Abit has always seemed to produce top performing motherboards, but they have high RMA numbers. They definitely have their place.

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Funny, isn't it? I have the same opinion about MSI. I've built numerous systems around the MSI K7T Pro2-A when it was popular, and about 1/2 of them were bad (and, not all of them were from the same reseller!). But, that's just from my personal experience. All of my friend's have had no problems with their Abit boards, and both my KT7-RAID and BF6 work great.

Whatever works for you ..

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Whoa there fellow.... while i won't disagree that Abit does make fine boards, and i've never had any problems with them personally, but that doesn't mean that their QC couldn't be improved, and that's fair to say about any company. Saying that MSI boards have problems though, well, that's fighting words ;)

Oh, and BTW, the Enermax is a mighty fine PS, and i wouldn't particularly worry that it's not on the official AMD approved list, it'll keep that 1.2 T-bird nice and happy.

megatexel

Jan 13, 2000
could you boys point me to a place I could pickup a black Fong Kai 320 with the new 330watt Enermax PS?

i would be greatful :)

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I agree with Geekish Thoughts..whatever works for you. I have used several of Abit's Athlon boards, two KA7-100's, a KT7, and now I have my KT7A-RAID. I have had no problems with any of those boards, except for the GF2/KA7 incompatibility..although that was more a video card issue. If these Abit boards are so bad, why do they perform so well? I keep buying Abit boards because I have had nothing but good experience with them, and that is a good enough reason for me. I believe there have been problems with alot of Athlon mobo's, but they don't seem to get the attention Abit does. The MSI K7T-Turbo and Pro-2A have multiplier issues, the original A7V had issues with Promise controller, and the Iwill and Epox boards have issues with using jumpers for multiplier control. No board is perfect, and if it works for you, just be happy with it. I haven't had any crashes since I built this KT7A-R combo, and it has been on for over two months with no reboots or shut downs.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Odd's are they just havent actually tested in with a 1.2GHz Athlon, it should be powerful enough for it though.