Why isn't it cheaper to buy software/music/movies online and download?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
It usually costs more... why? They don't have to give me the plastic disk, the cardboard box, the paper user manual, or pay to ship it to me. I would imagine paying for the bandwidth used to transfer the data to me would cost less than all those materials.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
It usually costs more... why? They don't have to give me the plastic disk, the cardboard box, the paper user manual, or pay to ship it to me. I would imagine paying for the bandwidth used to transfer the data to me would cost less than all those materials.

The manufacturing costs have very little to do with the retail price for movies, music or games. When you buy a DVD for example, you are basically just paying for a license to watch the movie and own it in your home. The cost of the DVD and the box is a very small percentage of the $20 you paid. Hope this makes sense.

gunblade

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2002
They are selling the content not the media.

So, it is the content that costs you.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Its simple really.
They make you -think- its going to be more convenient and possibly, you might extend to think it will be even cheaper but it won't. Why? Because its business thats why. You don't expect them to pass the savings down to you do you? That'd be too nice of them. They see "saving money" as making MORE money to them.

Take McDonalds for example. Their burgers have got smaller over time. The McChicken is maybe 70% now what it was when I was in high school. The big mac? Whats big about it? Some people might think "they cut the cost along with it"... nope.. try again :p

Just because quality is getting cheaper doesn't mean the price is ;)

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
cuz the media cost makes very little difference. waht they are selling is ip

Yossarian451

Apr 11, 2002
Also think of the cost of maintaing the servers, etc. Just prolly near the same as production costs.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
itunes rocks!! 99 cent for a song or like 10 buks for the whole album..

too bad their selection is kinda limited