Why is XP professional requesting internet connection on startup?

rsales

Oct 15, 1999
I have notice Windows XP Pro is connecting to the internet when it starts up. I have isdn router and the connection only happens when there is a request for the internet. I have auto update turned off. Anyone know what XP is doing. I don't like things connecting automatically to the internet. Especially when I don't know what it's doing.

btvillarin

Nov 3, 2001
It's checking for something... *shrug*

Here's some things I'd do:
1) Under Internet Options, in the Connections tab, choose "Never dial a connection" for your connection, then Apply and OK.
2) System Properties (WinKey + Break) > Advanced [tab] > Error Reporting > choose "Disable Error Reporting"
3) System Properties (WinKey + Break) > Automatic Updates [tab] > choose "Turn off automatic updating. I want to update my computer manually."
4) If you have Norton Antivirus, disable LiveUpdate from checking automatically.

Tell me how goes it. :)

rky60

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Mine does the same thing, dials as soon as i disconnect or reboot. I checked the 4 things ya listed, still dialing. No biggie i guess :)

btvillarin

Nov 3, 2001
Dude, it is a biggie! I mean, it shouldn't be doing something you don't want it to. There has to be something...I'll try to look into this. I don't know what to look for, but there has to be something. *frustrated* :confused:

SharkB8

May 25, 2000
I have been experimenting with XP on my test computer and have found a meriod of various services that want to go out "connect with the mother ship" nearly everytime you boot up. Most all of things can be disabled if you type gpedit.msc in the "Run" box and you make your way through the various menus there. There is no other way to get to this screen that I have found other than typing this command line in.
I did find a utility that easily shutoff most of this stuff very easily called Anti-Spy. It is a very unintrusive utility that you can install to a "Temp" folder, run and apply, and then delete after rebooting. It will ask you if you want to delete a file which I chose to with no ill affects what so ever. Everyone with XP needs to use this IMHO.

Fun Guy

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
That's because it's downloading all the data from your hard drive to microsoft for marketing analysis.

Notice no smiley. That's because I'm not kidding. I don't like it, but I do believe it.

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
In addition to 4 items btvillarin posted, XP also has "windows time" correction service on by default. It tries to connect to the Internet to correct your pc clock. Go to services, and disable it.

SharkB8

May 25, 2000
After about 3 weeks of jacking around with XP on the test system I decided to leave my primary computers with Win2K. XP is pretty cool but not quite mature IMHO. I'll wait until SP1 before I load it up on everything I have. The call home "features' that are referred to here were a bit disturbing to me in spite of the fact that they can be shutoff. I don't care if all they are doing is trying to update themselves or not. I don't like stuff that does that.

rsales

Oct 15, 1999
Thanks for the input everyone. I tried the suggestions except for AntiSpy. Haven't tried that yet. Still connecting to the internet on startup.

Couldn't find a spot to see if Norton was automatically checking for updates. It will just say it's time to check and then it checks when I click.

Symantec NetDetect is in the scheduler (I took out everything else Norton installed in the scheduler). I don't know what it is for and haven't found an explaination on the net from my searches as to what the heck it does. Anyone know?