Why is windows 10 update taking so long?

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
And why didn't It ask me before automatically booting my system? I'm sure I set updates to ask me.
Irritating.
I just wanted to play a bit of a game before bed, it started updating when I turned the machine on. It's at about 35% after an hour. What's going on?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Probably the anniversary update. Takes a little while. Windows 10 will automatically update past a certain point. It doesn't just ask like previous versions did. The best thing you can do is select times of day you won't allow this to happen.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Probably the anniversary update. Takes a little while. Windows 10 will automatically update past a certain point. It doesn't just ask like previous versions did. The best thing you can do is select times of day you won't allow this to happen.

there's that. A new Build version was released around July. Then a new "Windows Updates" paradigm was announced for Win 7, and it seems to be effective for the October updates. Both OS's had massive updates through a couple roll-ups this month.

I had two overclocked systems get borked this month after the updates, but nightly backups on a WHS server saved my ass for about the fourth time in a few years from human error and drive failure, and a fifth time it made transferring to a new hard disk equally easy for a machine that just needed more capacity. Both Sandy Bridge K; both with the same motherboard and PSU; different but all-NVidia graphics setup; same RAM, slightly different capacity.

Some folks in the OS forum were telling me that "no OC'd system is stable," but one of these had been running for 5 years 24/7/365, and the other for 2 years waking, sleeping, hibernating daily. It wasn't the clock settings, nor was it the hardware.

I tracked the problem sources to the latest Silverlight Update download, and a problem with Kasperky IS 2016 that caused delays and possibly borked Win Update installs from user impatience, even with a veteran like me. The solution for people who had been complaining since July (the anniversary update) was to simply uninstall and then reinstall KIS.

Of course, this was primarily a problem that surfaced in Win 7, but the same symptoms were observed with Win 10.

There may be other reasons, because hardware, software, drivers, graphics -- everyone has a different situation.

I just got all this ironed out now. I could reinstall KIS, but figure to be prisoner of the company town and company store: I'm going to try Microsoft Security Essentials for a while. Maybe that's what Microsoft wants. Who knows?