Why is this Bob Knight incident such a big deal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Just because worse incidents have happened in the past doesn't excuse this one. Is it so hard for him not to be abusive to his players? It wasn't much, just a slaptap, but still, there are other ways of getting your point across, just grab him by the head or shoulders. I think this kind of action should be punished with a fine. Everyone's apparently OK with it though (the player, the player's parents, and the coach himself). Abuse is never necessary, especially in a sports game. So I think it's too bad he's going to get away with it, again.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Adaman
Just because worse incidents have happened in the past doesn't excuse this one. Is it so hard for him not to be abusive to his players? It wasn't much, just a slaptap, but still, there are other ways of getting your point across, just grab him by the head or shoulders. I think this kind of action should be punished with a fine. Everyone's apparently OK with it though (the player, the player's parents, and the coach himself). Abuse is never necessary, especially in a sports game. So I think it's too bad he's going to get away with it, again.

Wuss.

This is a discipline issue and he and his parents were perfectly fine with it.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Just to note, this is the media's fault. The kid and his family obviously didn't think it was anything.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Just to note, this is the media's fault. The kid and his family obviously didn't think it was anything.

I'd call it Bobby Knights fault - he brought the scrutiny on himself by past behavior. He did nothing wrong here imo, but the scrutiny will follow him wherever he goes and I think he knows it.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
This is only a story because it's Knight and because there's video. Imagine if Duke's coach had tapped a player on the chin to get him to look up in a private practice. If a reporter wrote about it, would we be hearing about this on ESPN?

This is a trick question. The reporter would never hear about it, and if he did he wouldn't write about it..... because it's a non-story and no one would give a damn.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
How is this any different than a football coach grabbing a player by the face mask? Oh, because it's Bob Knight and people are wusses.

PaNsyBoy8

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001

I don't understand what you are saying...you mention that he didn't hit the guy but he should get punished?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: joshsquall

Wuss.

Dick. I oughta slap YOU in the chin :p

Really though, calling someone a Wuss just because they don't support coaches abusing their players in sports is just stupid, you are stupid. That kid's parents are stupid.

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000

I bet you fruit your beer.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: tboo

I bet you fruit your beer.

Beeracolada.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
This is only news because 1). Knight has a terrible reputation and has done worse than this in public and 2). The sports media is fvcking insanely hyperbolic. I can't watch sports center anymore because they yell at you and make huge deals out of the most trivial things.

huberm

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
Bob Knight has a horrible temper and if he isn't kept on a tight leash, he will keep on doing more and more outrageous things.

IMO someone that can't control his own emotions should not be such a mentor for these young men and for all the kids in America that may look up to him.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

Wuss.

So you do think it is okay for coaches to hit students?

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

Wuss.

So you do think it is okay for coaches to hit students?

He didn't hit him.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
It was a tap on his chin to make sure he was looking at Knight. It basically said: "YOU LOOK AT ME WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU SON." I don't see anything wrong with it, even the kid said it was no big deal. People need to calm down.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I like Bobby Knight. We need more tough authority figures in schools. Real life will eat these kids up.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
That's hardly a "strike". That's simply a way of getting the attention of an exhausted/frustrated ball player that obviously wasn't responding to anything verbal.

If this was anyone but Bobby Knight it would have been a non-issue.

This isn't an 8 year old in a pee wee league. He's a grown man playing in Division I basketball. It was a close game and you can't afford to let your players drop their heads going into the last few minutes of the game. Knight did what he thought was necessary to get his player's attention back where it needed to be.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Originally posted by: tfinch2
The pussification of the United States continues...

In your ideal of a non-pussified US is it okay for coaches to hit student athlete?

I like how the media is pushing "the hit" , but the player that was "hit" and his parents are saying no.

Once again, the media collective is trying to tell us what to think, comrade.