Why is this Bob Knight incident such a big deal?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
What did he do this time?

tapped a player on the chin because the kid wouldn't look at him (or something like that).

edit: here we go

(November 14, 2006)--Texas Tech officials declined to discuss Texas Tech men's basketball coach Bob Knight after the hot-tempered coach struck a player in the chin Monday night.

The latest episode occurred late Tech's 86-74 win over Gardner-Webb.

Knight approached forward Michael Prince during a timeout after Prince was called for a foul, then used his open hand to push Prince's chin as if to make him look the coach in the eye.

A short time later, Prince appeared to be moving his jaw around as he sat on the bench.

Prince and his parents tell the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal they didn't think Knight's actions were a big deal.

Prince told the newspaper, "It was nothing."

He says Knight "was trying to teach me and I had my head down, so he raised my chin up. He was telling me to go out there and don't be afraid to make mistakes. He said I was being too hard on myself."

Prince's mother, Suzette Prince, told the newspaper she doesn't think the incident should be an issue and that she didn't think Knight should be reprimanded.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
No kidding...my in-laws went to see "Friday Night Lights" and were shocked...I mean SHOCKED! at the way coaches treat the athletes...helped me understand why their son was such a wuss.

Playing football, baseball and soccer for years as a kid and in high school...Knight's actions didn't even register to me when I first saw it on SportsCenter...I was expecting him to have chocked or really punched the kid...but when they kept replaying and emphasizing Knight hitting the guys chin, I almost started laughing... If people are shocked by Knight's actions, lets hope they are never in a high school locker room during half-time of a football game (or some other similar situation)...

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
sad thing is i bet lawyers all over the world are circling tryin to get some kind of lame ass legal action going.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I was in sports for years. from 6 until my 20's.

Yes i have had worse done. the reason this is in the news is Knights past history.

that being said he really should not have done it inpublic. we got "beat" on in practice heh

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Bob Knight might be a firehead, but there is no way anybody can say he doesn't want the best for his players. Who else would dismiss their best player, and a Big 12 POY candidate, off their team before the season started because the player did not meet the academic requirements that Texas Tech had.

What other coach would have done that?

Zap Brannigan

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2004
Will the angry closeted gays in this thread go argue this pointless topic in the Politic and Boos(booze?) section?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: tfinch2
The pussification of the United States continues...

In your ideal of a non-pussified US is it okay for coaches to hit student athlete?

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

In your ideal of a non-pussified US is it okay for coaches to hit student athlete?

You classify that as a hit? LOL

It's not like he clocked him.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

You classify that as a hit? LOL

It's not like he clocked him.

yeap. it was more of a slap.

but even then that really shouldnt have happened. but it does and it does not make it right.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
The only reason it's a big deal is because Bob Knight has a track record of... reaching out and touching student/athletes.

They should've pointed this out as an example of how he's mellowed out over the years, not "z0mg he's at it again!112321"

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Bob Knight might be a firehead, but there is no way anybody can say he doesn't want the best for his players. Who else would dismiss their best player, and a Big 12 POY candidate, off their team before the season started because the player did not meet the academic requirements that Texas Tech had.

Lots.

PaNsyBoy8

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
i watched the video on espn, while it could be seen as a coach hitting an athlete, i don't think he hit him, it was just a quick reaction, people overreact to everything nowadays

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I've had far worse done to me by coaches in my youth. Knight shouldn't have done it, but it isn't worth as newsworthy as ESPN or Fox Sports are making it out to be. The sports programs just need something to spin.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: chuckywang

Lots.

No top program would. They would keep him around until he meet academic requirements at the end of the Fall semester, which is well before the meat of a teams season.

With Knight it just isnt about basketball. He graduates more players than any other coach. Which is saying something since the number of college basketball players graduating at top programs is pathetically low.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Ive seen worse at a high school football practice.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: PaNsyBoy8
i watched the video on espn, while it could be seen as a coach hitting an athlete, i don't think he hit him, it was just a quick reaction, people overreact to everything nowadays

The view ESPN likes to show, with the camera angle behind the player, it looks like Knight punches the player. The other angle, you can tell it wasnt much more than a tap.