why is there no regular poster in here posting in the gaming forum?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm curious as to how many of the peeps in here consider themselves to be a hardcore gamers? or most yall in here just a "weekend warrior" gamers?

I assume that I'm about as hardcore as they come. For years I did small weekly LAN parties (years = probably eight), and even to this date I attend LAN parties as often as I can.**

I also play online quite a bit. Indeed several months around late Summer into early Fall I gamed so much online (4-8 hours/day) that I ended up having to wear wrist braces and had to nearly stop gaming for a couple months until around mid-December, when my wrists healed enough.

**Upcoming LANs that I'll probably be attending are:
MidWestLAN (1/16)
LANime (1/23)
LANmine (1/29)
WinterLANFest/lanbash (2/5)
AWOL LAN (2/19)

Uh yeah, guess I go to a lot of LAN parties. ^_^ Any other LAN party afficionados here?

Interesting theory but I'm afraid many Video forum posters are near-blindly loyal to one corporation (what is it like 65-70% market share?). Some are so loyal (to a corporation!) that they seem to associate some part of the corporation with themselves, as if the company succeeding somehow equates to them succeeding in their lives, like fanatics supporting a football team. How anyone could be apparently in love with a corporation is honestly beyond me but I've seen more than enough evidence on every tech forum I use worldwide.

Fixed! :D

People posting on the Video forums are totally different breed from the guys there.

We are actually far worse over here. Most of us are quite extreme in our views, and often seem to be only a little more mature than children.

Fixed! :D

I enjoy talking about hardware. I enjoy playing games, not talking about them.

I enjoy both. I think for me I can talk about games IRL with others, while with hardware I find like minds more often on forums.

(For now, I have decided to stopped PC gaming and bought a moutain bike to go biking again. But man mountain biking can be an expensive hobby though)

No kidding! I have to keep telling myself to not buy a new mountain bike. Mine is 15 years old (GT Corrado - True Temper cromo, Deore XT grouppo) and since I hardly ride, I shouldn't be spending more on it. Besides, in the last three years I've purchased two BMX bikes for myself just for kicks. Must stop spending...

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
People posting on the gaming forums are totally different breed from the guys here.

They are actually far worse over there. Most of them are quite extreme in their views, and often seem to be only a little more mature than children.

The worse of it is that the majority of them steal games and then try to justify it with self serving bullshit. I am done with that forum.

Ooo fighting talk, 1v1 me noob, just wait till my torrent finishes and i install game kk? :p

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
This thread is silly. I don't think there is any correlation between how much you post in a gaming forum and how much you game.

deimos3428

Mar 6, 2009
Discussing specifications for hardware I don't own is more interesting that discussing specifics of software I don't use.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Maybe because these are the forums of a hardware/software website?

Go to some random game forum and see how many people talk there about technology. The residual technology talk mostly falls into "Will this CPU/GPU play "the game the forum is about"?" or "If I buy this PC will it play "the game the forum is about"+1 that has no released schedule yet?" category.

People come to these forums because they are tech enthusiasts. Of course the main reason the average Joe has to upgrade his PC is gaming.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
The more you upgrade, the worse the need gets. My quad core 4870 rig feels ancient to me... It makes me sad how much money I have and will be putting into this damn hardware hobby.

In fact, it almost means more to me that I CAN run games, more than actually playing them sometimes. They should have help for this...

LOL, isn't this the truth!

My i7 C0 feels ancient to me (bought it in 11/08) and I want to replace it. I think I have gone through about 6 GPUs in the last 3 years, but at minimal cost due to eBay. It is just fun to tinker, and I get the upgrade bug about a year after my rig is built, and sooner for GPUs.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Zap;29164287**Upcoming LANs that I'll probably be attending are: [URL="http://www.midwestlan.com/" said:
MidWestLAN[/URL] (1/16)
LANime (1/23)
LANmine (1/29)
WinterLANFest/lanbash (2/5)
AWOL LAN (2/19)

Uh yeah, guess I go to a lot of LAN parties. ^_^ Any other LAN party afficionados here?
I'm lucky enough to have a group of friends that get together every month or so for a LAN party. Recent favorites have been Serious Sam 2 and World at War. All-time favorites are UT and the AvP mod for Q2.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If we had a PC gaming forum that only allowed people to post who actually paid for the games I'd be a lot more interested. Warezwhores get my blood boiling badly.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
If we had a PC gaming forum that only allowed people to post who actually paid for the games I'd be a lot more interested. Warezwhores get my blood boiling badly.

++

Every other thread in that forum also gets crapped by a couple anti-(x) zealots/trolls, where x is some publisher or digital distributor. Somehow, I think we've become inured to our trolls here and don't let them completely derail threads usually.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I've been a big PC gamer for years, post often in the PC Gaming forum, but I do read this forum because I'm interested in the hardware. I don't post here because I don't have insightful views on how adding 4 ROPs and losing a 32-bit rasterizer in favor of double-bandwidth OCed RAM combined with a mid-range pricepoint targeting the low-end SLI market makes for a card that sweeps the field at that pricepoint.

Actually, I do somewhat understand the stuff being discussed, and I love reading about what's on the horizon, speculation on what Fermi can do, what card is best-suited to my pricepoint, etc etc. Just can't contribute much. :)

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
I haven't ready any replies except OP and my reply is... 'Thems fightin' words'.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
Anandtech is a hardware site first. You can find better gaming forums elsewhere.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
So then I gotta ask. Do most people in here who upgrade because they have a need or they upgrade just because they just feel like to possess the latest powerful hardware that can just smash the latest games that they MAY play??? Or is the need to benchmark and then brag is what driving the hardware upgrade?

I have the feeling that some of the poster in here who have a high command of the technical knowledge, who actually work in the semiconductor industry,... do not game much if at all. I don't see how they could have the time.

and yes people who are true gaming fanatics will talk about them! It's true for all fanatics in life. They talk about the stuff they are fanatic about.

And about the warez thing. Doesn't get my blood boiling at all hearing someone said they pirated some game. Seriously it's up to the game developers to protect their properties. And seeing how crappy some of games have been, I would actually feel sorry for the smuck shelling out $40-$50 and get stuck with a game that they have to force themselves to play only because they paid for it. Personally, I like to buy used games off of Ebay myself. I don't have the patience to search the torrents, and buying on Ebay is cheap, like $5-$10 cheap for a "hot" game that has been out 4-6 months. After I'm done with the game, I'll sell it on Ebay for $5, recoup almost all my loss.

..soon I'll be putting my 4890 on Ebay for sale, and probably say good buy to PC gaming.

at80eighty

Jun 28, 2004
mannnnnn what do you want from me? I've been here for years and I only just broke 50 posts