Why is there no looting in Japan?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Why is there no looting in Japan?

• Most Americans, Europeans, and Middle Easterners are self-serving people. Asians are not.

• Lack of inequality. There are no poor people in Japan therefore there is no looting.

• It doesn't make sense to loot with radiation outside. They would loot if there was no radiation.

• There is nothing to loot. All items(TV’s, PS3’s, etc…) have been washed away by the tsunami.

• National pride...They're putting their country ahead of themselves.

• Morals and honor are important attributes to the Japanese, unlike most Americans and Westerners.

• Because they are Japanese. There is no other valid explanation.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Does 500k count as looting. :)

$500,000 gone from tsunami-cracked bank vault

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/World/20110322/money-stolen-from-tsunami-cracked-bank-vault-110322/

Nonono.. that's a 'smart investment'.

It has to do with economics? I have to imagine there are poor Japanese, especially among the hardest hit areas. Perhaps their culture is so vastly different than the materialistic American, that their view of poor and rich has not been corrupted. Perhaps the Japanese poor consider themselves 'rich' and whole - without the need to dishonor themselves for material gain.

Exceptions, of course, but this could both be economical and cultural where the culture has a vastly different view of economics and material possession.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
I see that supplies are scarce so people has to do what they got to do to feed themselves or their kids. Certainly in desperation. Even if you are Japanese.

So there is looting. And there is crime. But no crime wave.

I personally wouldn't consider that looting. If you are taking food to feed your family you are surviving. Technically that would still be a crime though.

Once you walk off with a TV you are looting.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I personally wouldn't consider that looting. If you are taking food to feed your family you are surviving. Technically that would still be a crime though.

Once you walk off with a TV you are looting.

Wasn't it some idiot on cnn that showed a black guy taking some bread and called it looting?

I think it is still looting but I would not hold that against someone to much.
Now 500k... yea thats looting, awesome looting. :sneaky:

Oct 30, 2004
The problem is they don't have any actual biological explanation of why genes would effect this behavior except that lower IQ means lower violence. The big misunderstanding about IQs is that even if the average Asian were smarter than the average black, there would still be parts of the respective bell curves where blacks would be smarter than asians.

I think the VDare article said that it's a combination of culture and IQ. The issue is, where does the culture come from? Is it just a matter of luck? The author suggests that IQ is related to the culture, and a prevailing culture would affect the behavior of people who are lower on the bell curve.

The relationship, if any, between culture and IQ is another one of those issues we don't want to think about because it's politically incorrect. Here's a link to a slew of articles about race and IQ:

Op-Eds on Race and IQ

Last edited:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I think the VDare article said that it's a combination of culture and IQ. The issue is, where does the culture come from? Is it just a matter of luck? The author suggests that IQ is related to the culture, and a prevailing culture would affect the behavior of people who are lower on the bell curve.

The relationship, if any, between culture and IQ is another one of those issues we don't want to think about because it's politically incorrect. Here's a link to a slew of articles about race and IQ:

Op-Eds on Race and IQ

Culture has complex origins but it doesn't seem like race is one of them. I'm familiar with the literature that says that some races are smarter than others on average. The problem is people don't understand statistics. Even if those studies are correct, there are still a fair amount of black people that would be smarter than Asians, etc.

Oct 30, 2004
Culture has complex origins but it doesn't seem like race is one of them. I'm familiar with the literature that says that some races are smarter than others on average. The problem is people don't understand statistics. Even if those studies are correct, there are still a fair amount of black people that would be smarter than Asians, etc.

If you buy into the IQ-culture theory, the issue isn't race as much as a population's average IQ. Of course there will be people distributed at both ends of the bell curve in every group. The issue isn't whether a population has a small handful of people with high IQs or low IQs, but rather one of average IQ. Ten people with IQs of 120 aren't going to have much sway over a population where the average IQ is 85, and likewise ten people with IQs of 80 won't have much sway over a population where the average IQ is 105.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Other...

There Society is more advanced then ours. Yes they are more civilized besides there are no black people in Japan. Oppps, truth hurts I guess.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Morals and Honor is most definitly words befitting the people of Japan.. In these times I think its important to have Examples of heritage in peoples . We have 2 groups in this example Japan the most recent event and Hatti event of last year . Of course there were many events to choose from in between these two.But for the poll topic these 2 show a great example of how 2 differant Island peoples and vastly differant economic conditions and their LEARNED instincts. Very differantly! After affects and unity being shown in japan . Wereas hatt is just a bigger shit hole now than it was befor its event nothing but corruption at all levels. Japan will suck it in and try to rebuild.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Other...

There Society is more advanced then ours. Yes they are more civilized besides there are no black people in Japan. Oppps, truth hurts I guess.

May be they're sociEty is more advanced then hours. Truely they suposebly ar. But yu ser are cleerly the master rase.