Why is there no AnandTech Fury X review!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
WOW. Just subbed to Digital Foundry. This is why I've stopped reading reviews and moved to Youtube for my game/hardware reviews.. but this is the slickest one I've seen yet. You can't beat this.

Reviews are good for the (usually) objective data, but those static charts leave a lot to be desired. The YouTube videos are a very helpful way to judge exactly what "playable" vs. "unplayable" looks like. It's not perfect given the constant frame rate of the video, but a 60fps video will let you see stuttering and tearing pretty easily.

On the topic of the Fury X specifically, it is clear that it is not beating the 980Ti/TitanX all of the time, but it is definitely competitive. Combined with its near-silent operation, cool temps, and neat lights/tach, I would say that its price is justified for that elite feeling. The downsides are obvious for those that care about overclocking and HDMI 2.0 non-DP displays over 60Hz.

Things will get interesting between now and Christmas. Fury X2, Fury, and Nano. 970Ti, 960Ti. Pricing battles and stabilizing. Driver improvements. Windows 10 and a small handful of DX12 games.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The Mantle version of BF4 is terribly buggy. Honestly, it should be forgotten...

I use mantle only when playing BF4, and I have not had any issues since it was first released (that first 2 months was a bit rough). Runs far better for me, especially on 64 man servers where CPU usage is highest.

Last edited:

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
The Mantle version of BF4 is terribly buggy. Honestly, it should be forgotten...

Mantle is absolute butter on my rig. It's been solid since the first patch after they implemented it. The only thing that needs to die is DX11.

As far as the timeliness of the review, give the site a break. If the writer is sick do you want a half arsed review pushed out the door just to meet a deadline? Quality is king IMO.

Last edited:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I haven't had any issues outside of the initial launch. Are you referring to anything specific?

I would be willing to give it a partial pass if they fixed the issues. Tried playing it after launch it was terrible on my bro's 290. CTD and all sorts of graphical issues. Was so bad I wrote it off at that point and did DX11. Ran fine...

Asking for Mantle benches is just silly, as it will never be released again. Asking for DX12 is valid, on the other hand, and carries the bulk of the Mantle code-base forward. Mantle though, is dead.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The person in that post compared it to the 980 instead of the 980Ti. Here's the comparison that matters right now when they're equivalently priced at $650 each:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1496?vs=1513

And as someone who's bought AMD for close to a decade now, because they've been rock-solid GPUs that performed well and had a solid bang-for-the-buck, I think the 980Ti is the better choice. You get 2GB more VRAM, better performance in 99% of the stuff tested, quieter, cooler, and you get a nice air-cooled card rather than some hydro contraption.

No that isn't the proper comparison either. You are comparing it to the air cooled Ti and it should be compared to the liquid cooled hybrid which makes it roughly 100 dollars less expensive than the Ti.

Fair is Fair.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
No that isn't the proper comparison either. You are comparing it to the air cooled Ti and it should be compared to the liquid cooled hybrid which makes it roughly 100 dollars less expensive than the Ti.

Fair is Fair.

For someone who values the CLC, that would be true. For the majority of users, they care about performance. The CLC doesn't really factor-in there directly. AMD made a design decision to add the CLC. That added some cost, plus many benefits. That doesn't mean it should only be compared to a niche-version of the 980Ti. If you want CLC regardless, then the Fury X has a $100 advantage, out of the gate.

Also, if NV had selected a CLC for their reference 980Ti, you would likely see that less than $749. Costs go down when you make tens of thousands (or even a million) vs. a few hundred or thousand.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
BF4 and BF:H Mantle support has had issues on Tonga since it's release, might be the same with Fiji...

Ryan Smith said:
Shifting gears, for the launch of the R9 285 AMD is advising reviewers and users alike that Mantle performance on Thief and Battlefield 4 is not going to be up to snuff right now. The reason for this is simple, but the potential ramifications are a bit more complex.

Anandtech 285 Review

Brent Justice said:
When we tested BF4 this round we started off testing under Mantle on the R9 285 GPU. We got our results, and it seemed a little low to us. We tested again but this time under Direct3D 11 and actually found performance to be better under DX11. This happens from time to time in this game, as new patches are released sometimes new drivers have to come along that help Mantle performance. For right now, we stuck with the best performing runs we got, which were under DX11, so all cards are tested under DX11 for this article.

HardOCP 960 Review

PCLab.pl said:
AMD cards we tested in DirectX mode and Mantle. Only in the case of the Radeon R9 285 Mantle mode performance was significantly worse than in DirectX. The remaining cards behave like included in the graph Radeon R9 290X.

PCLab.pl BF Hardline benchmark (untranslated)

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005

Fair is Fair.
Not when I wouldn't even want liquid cooling to begin with, and not when the cards are measured STOCK vs STOCK. That one comes with one cooling method and one comes with another is not actually relevant because they simply are how they are from the factory. We're comparing performance, after all, not physical looks or cooling methods.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
Not when I wouldn't even want liquid cooling to begin with, and not when the cards are measured STOCK vs STOCK. That one comes with one cooling method and one comes with another is not actually relevant because they simply are how they are from the factory. We're comparing performance, after all, not physical looks or cooling methods.
you see no value in water cooling. that is why. while many of us do. :eek:

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
Call my cynical but I bet AT was paid to not put up the review on time or maybe even at all. Considering how controversial the review process was for the 290 when it came out there's obvious bias.

Ryan Smith

The New Boss
Staff member
Oct 22, 2005
www.anandtech.com
Call my cynical but I bet AT was paid to not put up the review on time or maybe even at all. Considering how controversial the review process was for the 290 when it came out there's obvious bias.
You're cynical.:p

Anyhow, the holdup is just just sick me laying on the couch.:( I've even lost my voice, so all-in-all it's been a less than entertaining week.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010

Anyhow, the holdup is just just sick me laying on the couch.:( I've even lost my voice, so all-in-all it's been a less than entertaining week.

Hope you feel better bud. What's the ETA looking like for the review. Monday?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005

Lay on the couch with your laptop and write the review :biggrin:

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I would be willing to give it a partial pass if they fixed the issues. Tried playing it after launch it was terrible on my bro's 290. CTD and all sorts of graphical issues. Was so bad I wrote it off at that point and did DX11. Ran fine...

Asking for Mantle benches is just silly, as it will never be released again. Asking for DX12 is valid, on the other hand, and carries the bulk of the Mantle code-base forward. Mantle though, is dead.
Your broes machine on probably beta drivers?? Mantle was a damn fine experience on bf4 after the beta drivers from feb or so. 1gig card had hickups.
Difficult to go back to dx11 after that.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

Heh, was this going to be a youtube review with voice-over? ;)
Take two Fiji's and call me in the morning. :)

Runequest2

Jun 14, 2000
you see no value in water cooling. that is why. while many of us do. :eek:

I would value water cooling if the GPU had overclocking headroom. So far it seems like the Fury does not overclock well so I am not sure the advantage of paying more for the cooler.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
I would value water cooling if the GPU had overclocking headroom. So far it seems like the Fury does not overclock well so I am not sure the advantage of paying more for the cooler.
not yet. if amd locked fury x at 10% max oc, they might as well tell every enthusiast to skip them. at that point, I would want them gone as a company and someone to buy them out. since that would be a cap on purpose.