Why is the media bashing Kerry for alluding to George aWol Bush as a deserter?

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
From Drudge.
FLASHBACK: Kerry in 2000 claimed it is a matter of character that Bush avoided duty overseas by joining the Texas Air National Guard. No documents have been found to show he reported for duty as ordered in Alabama in 1972... 'Those of us who were in the military wonder how it is that someone who is supposedly serving on active duty, having taken that oath, can miss a whole year of service without even explaining where it went,' said Kerry... Developing...
FLASHBACK: KERRY ALLUDED TO BUSH AS DESERTER

Apparently saying the truth is not in vogue any more.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
I guess a Silver Star, Bronze Star and 3 Purple Hearts doesn't make Kerry a good enough soldier.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
From Drudge.
FLASHBACK: Kerry in 2000 claimed it is a matter of character that Bush avoided duty overseas by joining the Texas Air National Guard. No documents have been found to show he reported for duty as ordered in Alabama in 1972... 'Those of us who were in the military wonder how it is that someone who is supposedly serving on active duty, having taken that oath, can miss a whole year of service without even explaining where it went,' said Kerry... Developing...

I don't know if it's really bashing as of yet...

Yeah, I read that and I was like uhhh... so? But then the media is just trying to build up contoversy/drama over nothing as usual, especially on whoever the front runner is supposed to be. No worries.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
From Drudge.

I don't know if it's really bashing as of yet...

Yeah, I read that and I was like uhhh... so? But then the media is just trying to build up contoversy/drama over nothing as usual, especially on whoever the front runner is supposed to be. No worries.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Lets Hope Kerry gets a chance to debate Bush on this issue;)

If Kerry gets 5 debate questions then ask it 5 times straight.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Dunno why theyd look to bash someone who might actually have legitimate leadership capability.
rolleye.gif

~wnied~

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
"Support our troops and vets! <mumbles>Unless they're democrats </mumbles> "
I think you'd be surprised at how prevalent that sort of thinking is within the military ranks...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Official Serevice record - Bush was AWOL was 6 months most likely during drinking binge:

2-11-2004 Timeline of Bush's National Guard Service

_May 1972: Bush asks for and receives permission to continue his duties in Alabama while he works as political director on the Senate campaign of Winton M. Blount, a friend of his father. Loses flight credentials after missing physical exam.

_Sept. 6, 1972: Bush's request for a three-month transfer to 187th TAC Recon Group, Montgomery, Ala. is approved so he can work as political director for a Senate campaign.

_November 1972: Bush returns to his unit at Ellington in Texas.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Nora O'Donnell of NBC News, during this time his Commanding Officers reported:

"Bush was not observed to be present during time".

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
well a good half of the story is how his daddy pulled strings to jump him and his horrible assesment score ahead of all the other applicants to get into the program in the first place. i wonder how many of the others that were rejected went to their deaths in vietnam.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Maybe because he denigrated those who served in the National Guard by comparing them to dodgers who went to Canada?

?If people went to Canada, if people opposed the war, if people chose to be in the Guard, that?s their choice, and I?ve never raised that in an issue,? he said.? (Noelle Straub, ?Kerry Presents Himself As GOP?s Worst Nightmare,? Boston Herald, 2/3/04)"

"I?ve never made any judgments about any choice somebody made about avoiding the draft, about going to Canada, going to jail, being a conscientious objector, going into the National Guard,? Kerry, a decorated Vietnam veteran, told Fox News Channel. ?Those are choices people make.?? (Nick Anderson, ?Buoyant Kerry Embraces Role Of Frontrunner,? Los Angeles Times, 2/4/04)

DNC is in on it too:

DNC Chair Terry McAuliffe : ?George Bush never served in our military and our country.? (ABC?s ?This Week,? 2/1/04)

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
I guess a Silver Star, Bronze Star and 3 Purple Hearts doesn't make Kerry a good enough soldier.

not when he organizes the Jane Fonda backed VVAW to throw their medals back at the capital building protesting the war in Vietnam?
He's a politician if he said the sky was blue I'd go check wether he is a Dem or a Rep. Truth has not been in vogue in washington for years the first Bush was there. Wouldn't you agree? For them it is about keeping their jobs.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: EXman

not when he organizes the Jane Fonda backed VVAW to throw their medals back at the capital building protesting the war in Vietnam?
He's a politician if he said the sky was blue I'd go check wether he is a Dem or a Rep. Truth has not been in vogue in washington for years the first Bush was there. Wouldn't you agree? For them it is about keeping their jobs.

I know several people who threw away their medals once they returned from Vietnam and to be honest with you, I don't blame them for not wanting them.

Personally, I'm not thrilled with who Kerry associated himself with during the Vietnam protests, but his intentions were still in the right place. The war wasted many lives on both sides that did not need to be wasted.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Lucky
Maybe because he denigrated those who served in the National Guard by comparing them to dodgers who went to Canada?

?If people went to Canada, if people opposed the war, if people chose to be in the Guard, that?s their choice, and I?ve never raised that in an issue,? he said.? (Noelle Straub, ?Kerry Presents Himself As GOP?s Worst Nightmare,? Boston Herald, 2/3/04)"

"I?ve never made any judgments about any choice somebody made about avoiding the draft, about going to Canada, going to jail, being a conscientious objector, going into the National Guard,? Kerry, a decorated Vietnam veteran, told Fox News Channel. ?Those are choices people make.?? (Nick Anderson, ?Buoyant Kerry Embraces Role Of Frontrunner,? Los Angeles Times, 2/4/04)

DNC is in on it too:

DNC Chair Terry McAuliffe : ?George Bush never served in our military and our country.? (ABC?s ?This Week,? 2/1/04)

the fact is the guard then is not the same as the guard now. back then, the guard was for defending us soil and europe, basically no chance of them being sent to vietnam. which is precisely the reason his powerful daddy pulled strings to jump his son to the front of the waiting list to get into it. the fact is the waiting lists for getting into the reserve at the time were huge, it was a very real option for those who wanted to avoid going to vietnam.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Because you just can't call the president a deserter. You don't do that. /end sarcasm

The truth is that that's just the attitude that floated around when Moore said it. IMO, it's not correct to say that Kerry's past remarks are the reason, becuase I don't think Moore made any past remarks. ;) I think McCllelean and others tried/are trying to make any criticism of Bush's military record seem ridiculous...and there's times when it seems like they want to paint it as unpatriotic. The truth of the matter is that there are legitimate questions regarding his service record that haven't been answered.

It goes to integrity.

Zipp

Apr 7, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Lucky

DNC is in on it too:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the fact is the guard then is not the same as the guard now. back then, the guard was for defending us soil and europe, basically no chance of them being sent to vietnam. which is precisely the reason his powerful daddy pulled strings to jump his son to the front of the waiting list to get into it. the fact is the waiting lists for getting into the reserve at the time were huge, it was a very real option for those who wanted to avoid going to vietnam.

That's BS...There were many Nation Guard Units sent to Nam back then.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Because you just can't call the president a deserter. You don't do that. /end sarcasm

The truth is that that's just the attitude that floated around when Moore said it. IMO, it's not correct to say that Kerry's past remarks are the reason, becuase I don't think Moore made any past remarks. ;) I think McCllelean and others tried/are trying to make any criticism of Bush's military record seem ridiculous...and there's times when it seems like they want to paint it as unpatriotic. The truth of the matter is that there are legitimate questions regarding his service record that haven't been answered.

It goes to integrity.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Strk

it is when you get them for relative scratches, or as one grizzled old non com put it "if i got a medal for every minor wound i got in combat, i would have a couple of hundered purple hearts."

kerry was only in a "hot zone" for 4 months from november 68 to march 69.
and even he admits he was surprised when he got assigned there.

combine that with what he did after the war, not many military and veterans are going to vote for him.

i also wonder, if Komrade Kerry gets to be pres will we have may day parades like the other Kommunist kountries?

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
It seems like there is more mud slinging already than I've seen in past election years. What happened to the time when candidates would debate the issues and policies rather than what the other person did when they were younger? EVERYONE has some skeletons but that seems to be the only thing they are focusing on lately. Take a stand on issues and debate why you believe that way!

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Gaard

It goes to integrity.

Give me a break. Not a single dem questioned Clintons actions during the Viet Nam when he went against Dole or Bush sr. Now these are considered legitamate questions.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: nutxo

It goes to integrity.

Give me a break. Not a single dem questioned Clintons actions during the Viet Nam when he went against Dole or Bush sr. Now these are considered legitamate questions.

How many Rhodes scholars can you name ?

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: outriding

It goes to integrity.

Like 2. I could pull up the registry for all Rhodes scholars if it didnt seem to go missing at every single web page that came up on google:)
Why , do you have the list handy so you can pretend to be able to recite every Rhodes scholar since 1905?

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: outriding

It goes to integrity.

Like 2. I could pull up the registry for all Rhodes scholars if it didnt seem to go missing at every single web page that came up on google:)
Why , do you have the list handy so you can pretend to be able to recite every Rhodes scholar since 1905?

my point is .. its is easier to be in the military than a rhodes scholar.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Give me a break. Not a single dem questioned Clintons actions during the Viet Nam when he went against Dole or Bush sr. Now these are considered legitamate questions."

Sure they did. Even Clinton himself expressed some disappointment about his choices.

But turn it around, are Republicans willing to actually look at their candidate's possible flaws ? Is it a crime to admit them in public ?

It doesn't mean you have to reject him, just don't be a lemming.