Why is Paul Ryan considered a fiscal hawk?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
http://www.rlc.org/2012/08/11/the-paul-ryan-record/

Paul Ryan on Bailouts and Government Stimuli
-Voted YES on TARP (2008)
-Voted YES on Economic Stimulus HR 5140 (2008)
-Voted YES on $15B bailout for GM and Chrysler. (Dec 2008)
-Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)

Paul Ryan on Entitlement Programs
-Voted YES on limited prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. (Nov 2003)
-Voted YES on providing $70 million for Section 8 Housing vouchers. (Jun 2006)
-Voted YES on extending unemployment benefits from 39 weeks to 59 weeks. (Oct 2008)
-Voted YES on Head Start Act (2007)

Paul Ryan on Education
Rep. Ryan went along with the Bush Administration in supporting more federal involvement in education. This is contrary to the traditional Republican position, which included support for abolition of the Department of Education and decreasing federal involvement in education.

-Voted YES on No Child Left Behind Act (2001)

Paul Ryan on Civil Liberties
-Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
-Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
-Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)

Paul Ryan on War and Intervention Abroad
-Voted YES on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)
-Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
-Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)
-Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)

And why did Paul Ryan vote YES on Medicare Part D only to propose to "change" it because it costs too much?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Because too many people would rather spout talking points and shout "ditto" rather then dealing with facts.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
He's considered a fiscal hawk because he proposed the same things that Obama did but he is on the right, which the racist fossils of this country still revere because Reagan made them rich....at least in their own propoganda soaked minds that's how they think.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
OP, that sucks. Thank you for shattering the delusions surrounding Paul Ryan. No wonder Romney picked him, they likely hold similar big-gov positions.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
I would ask the tea Party wth they see in this guy considering his record. He is not small government.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I would ask the tea Party wth they see in this guy considering his record. He is not small government.

Not like anyone wants small gov't anyway. He's just doing what voters demand he do - say one thing, do another. Seems to have worked for Obama.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Why is Paul Ryan considered a fiscal hawk?

IDK. Good question.

I suppose some of it from the MSM and Democrats who criticize his budget as draconian. Likewise with claims about his plan for Medicare.

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to his budget at the time he released, it had no chance of passing Congress. However, I'm now hearing the CBO estimates his plan won't bring the budget into balance for 28 years. So, 27 more years of deficit spending is harsh cuts? I'm afraid if Congress doesn't cut spending faster than that somebody else will (e.g., China and other holders of debt).

I'm also now hearing his voucher proposal for Medicare is only an option, not a mandatory change. While I didn't, and still don't, think much of the voucher proposal it's hard for me to muster much of an objection if it's only an option.

Finally, I suppose he may be considered a fiscal hawk by comparison to Obama and the Democrats. I.e., it's relative.

Fern

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
IDK. Good question.

I suppose some of it from the MSM and Democrats who criticize his budget as draconian. Likewise with claims about his plan for Medicare.

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to his budget at the time he released, it had no chance of passing Congress. However, I'm now hearing the CBO estimates his plan won't bring the budget into balance for 28 years. So, 27 more years of deficit spending is harsh cuts? I'm afraid if Congress doesn't cut spending faster than that somebody else will (e.g., China and other holders of debt).

I'm also now hearing his voucher proposal for Medicare is only an option, not a mandatory change. While I didn't, and still don't, think much of the voucher proposal it's hard for me to muster much of an objection if it's only an option.

Finally, I suppose he may be considered a fiscal hawk by comparison to Obama and the Democrats. I.e., it's relative.

Fern

First of all your logic is not sound at all.

Look at Ryan's voting record. It is FAR MORE egregious than anything Obama or even most Democrats have done as far as fiscal responsibility is concerned. The intellectual laziness of voters like yourself is what is killing this country.

Secondly, if you're honestly that stupid to believe that the voucher system being proposed isn't where Republicans want to take Medicare then I've got a bridge to sell you in Alaska. They want to dismantle Medicare as we know it today, there is no option. That's simply a short-term ruse because they know they can never dismantle it all in one shot.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
First of all your logic is not sound at all.

Look at Ryan's voting record. It is FAR MORE egregious than anything Obama or even most Democrats have done as far as fiscal responsibility is concerned. The intellectual laziness of voters like yourself is what is killing this country.

That's a silly claim.

Secondly, if you're honestly that stupid to believe that the voucher system being proposed isn't where Republicans want to take Medicare then I've got a bridge to sell you in Alaska. They want to dismantle Medicare as we know it today, there is no option. That's simply a short-term ruse because they know they can never dismantle it all in one shot.

"Dismantle Medicare"?

Keep drinking the kool-aid. Apparently you like the 'Mediscare' flavor .

Medicare expenditures are in excess of the Medicare (payroll) taxes collected and costs are rising rapidly. Most are worried about fiscal sustainability.

I'm interested in your bridge. I've got a piece of oceanfront property in AZ I'd like to swap you for it.

Fern

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

It's funny you said the bolded part, and then accused others of intellectual laziness. The Dems aren't much different than the GOP - they have absolutely no serious plan to address the deficit. A few higher taxes on the rich are barely going to be a drop in the bucket, even if the Dems were serious about passing them, which they clearly aren't.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Because so far he's the only person to be serious about fixing medicare.

He's "serious"? Really?

That's why he won't do anything to change Medicare for the glut of baby boomers moving into the system? Its so bankrupt and broken, but let's allow a huge demographic bubble into it before we start "fixing" it.

Then what? A voluntary system of vouchers to pay less than market rate for private insurance for a population of wheelchair-ridden cancer patients with dementia?

And what are these voters going to want when they realize they got screwed and can't pay for medicine? Will a huge lot of them live in FL and other swing states with the next generation of politicians looking to pander to them?

And what's the one guaranteed thing, already passed into law, that will immediately begin cutting costs in 2014? The thing he promises repeal because its "robbing benefits" from seniors and must be stopped.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

His "bold" plan is to tell seniors, "don't worry about your benefits, we'll just cut your kid's benefits way in the future."

That and the trillions of debt they will be leaving us is one nice inheritance

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
And what's the one guaranteed thing, already passed into law, that will immediately begin cutting costs in 2014? The thing he promises repeal because its "robbing benefits" from seniors and must be stopped.

Are you referring to Obamacare?

If so, I didn't think anyone seriously believed it would cut HC costs.

Fern

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
He's considered a fiscal hawk because he proposed the same things that Obama did but he is on the right, which the racist fossils of this country still revere because Reagan made them rich....at least in their own propoganda soaked minds that's how they think.

WHy did you feel the need to add everything that came after the comma?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
'Fiscal conservatives' only have to promise to lower taxes, regardless of the bottom line. Nothing else matters, in the mind of Republicans.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
That's a silly claim.

"Dismantle Medicare"?

Keep drinking the kool-aid. Apparently you like the 'Mediscare' flavor .

Medicare expenditures are in excess of the Medicare (payroll) taxes collected and costs are rising rapidly. Most are worried about fiscal sustainability.

I'm interested in your bridge. I've got a piece of oceanfront property in AZ I'd like to swap you for it.

Fern

The GOP can't come out and say they want to dismantle Medicare. Just like they can't say they want to abolish Social Security. Instead, we hear things like voucher programs and privatization. Imagine how Social Security would have turned out today if it had ever been privatized and subject to the whims of the stock market. Talk about an epic collapse of the program as we know it. The fact of the matter is the leadership of the GOP wants to dismantle much of what was put in place by the New Deal.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Conservatives today don't even deserve to be called Conservative.

Their voodoo economics has no basis in reality. Trickle down is a failed economic policy that has been repeatedly debunked and further has no factual basis whatsoever.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Are you referring to Obamacare?

If so, I didn't think anyone seriously believed it would cut HC costs.

Fern

Ding Ding Ding!

The cuts to providers is law. Its happening unless R&R repeal it.

Nobody truly knows how effective the cost curve bending will be, but the cuts are real and the R&R plan so far is a muddled, amorphous bucket of wish-wash.

And it still has to get through Congress

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
WHy did you feel the need to add everything that came after the comma?

Maybe because I grew up in the south and the same people who praise God and the right are the same people who called my friends ni****s, also this:

Conservatives today don't even deserve to be called Conservative.

Their voodoo economics has no basis in reality. Trickle down is a failed economic policy that has been repeatedly debunked and further has no factual basis whatsoever.

For some reason it all magically goes hand in hand.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Why indeed?

There's now footage from 2002 where Representative Ryan advocates a stimulus plan for President Bush that's been featured on a morning show.

I guess he's only a fiscal hawk when it's a democratic president in the white house.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Ding Ding Ding!

The cuts to providers is law. Its happening unless R&R repeal it.

Nobody truly knows how effective the cost curve bending will be, but the cuts are real and the R&R plan so far is a muddled, amorphous bucket of wish-wash.

And it still has to get through Congress

Honest question: What "cuts to providers" are you referring to?

Is it Medicare/Medicaid, which are constantly discussed but often not actually done or something else?

TIA

Fern