Why is opposition to gay marriage so strong?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: David Victorious
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
It's because they don't value their own marriages.

I mean, what on earth could make them think that their own marriages would be devalued if homosexuals got married?

Of course, it's not that, they simply want to institute their religion into the law, and they are successful, mostly because the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, right?

If I move a broken down trailer next door to your beautiful new home, would you consider it devalued?

You are just screaming "DAVID VICTORIOUS IS AN ANTI-GAY BiGOT!!!!".

None of the subtelty, the denial, of other bigots, you are screaming it.

You are equating every two gay people who love each other with a "broken down trailer", and every two heterosexual people who love each other with a "beautiful new home."

Black and white: GAYS ARE INFERIOR. They are LESS THAN THE SAME QUALITY OF HUMAN AS YOU. Their relationships are of A LOWER QUALITY THAN YOURS.

That is bigotry. You might not have all the fancy misguided theories about WHY they're inferior the way racists did about genetics and blacks, but you have the same conclusions.

YOU have a real relationship. THEY have a trailer trash second-class relationship.

Now that we're clear what you believe, we can discuss it. You're wrong. You clearly are not only ignorant of gay relationships, but too lazy to learn the truth. You have the laziness of the bigot, who runs around not only assuming, but screaming, posting, voting based on your false, ignorant views. That's called 'morally reprehensible', because you are neglecting your responsibilities as a citizen not to exercise the power of your vote, your public statements, negligently and in ways that wrongly harm others.

You can't actually prove your claims about the inferiority of gay relationships, you can merely stick your head in the sand, refuse to learn the truth, and be obstinate.

You should be ashamed of yourself MORE than the racists, who had all kinds of excuses of thousands of years of history and cultural influence you don't have in these modern times.

People that want to join thir sexual organs in a way they weren't designed for, is just another sin.

Why did God make about 3% of the human race gay? Are people who are born impotent sinning for not not reproducing any more than gay people are sinning for the sexual desires they were born with? Is the 'use of sexual organs' the way gays do - which pretty much involve the friction of the organs in pleasurable ways just like heterosexuals, and even in the exact same ways as many heterosexuals, given the similarity of hands, mouths, and other areas. Not that the similarities need proving - but they make a mockery of the 'unnatural use' argument, the simple fact is that the homosexual sexual desires are a *natural*, but *unusual*, different sexual orientation than the most common orientation of heterosexuality. Your 'natural' argument is *wrong*, merely you being too much aocoward to rest solely on your religious interpretaton and wanting something more to back you up that isn't correct.

We Christians have to pick our battles. This one we can live with while we take care of more pressing issues, like abortion.

First, in my view, you are not following Christian values. You are not showing any of the sort of enlightened view Jesus taught, such as where he rejected the black and white rules on proscrbied food to say the point was the purity of the heart of the person eating, who could 'cleanse' the food. You are not showing any understanding and compassion for the 3% of your fellow humans who are gay. You are not being any more sensible than it would be to condemn people who are born in any other minority - to blame albinos, the blind, the tall or short, the crippled - you are not recognizing the facts about homosexuality leading you to wrongly condemn the innocent, making you the Pharisee who fought Jesus, not like Jesus.

kyle xy

Jan 1, 2009
The beautiful thing about this country is that every now and again we can vote on issues that are important to us and in many states the right for Gay Marriage was voted down; most notably in California. Now I agree in equal rights to an extent but I also agree in compromise in that homosexuals should be allowed the right to civil union so they may enjoy rights such as: power of attorney, wills, tax filings, etc. However, those that tie the term marriage to religion have voiced their opinion and have proven to be the majority in many cases so we should not ignore that.

Also please don't spout off about separation of church and state.

To answer the question of why this is a successful wedge issue, well I believe it is because of the polarity of the subject. You have very few people in the middle but a great deal of arguments coming from the extreme right and left...vis a vi...great wedge issue.

CME25

Jan 3, 2009
Joined just to say that Craig234's post, 12/31/2008 03:31 PM, just about says it all. Bravo.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: OrByte
I may be remembering this wrong, and hopefully someone can back me up on this. But the movement to amend the California Constitution started BEFORE the Ca Supreme Court ruled in favor of gay marriage.

I distinctly remember seeing the signature drives around the groceries stores and malls in order to get the backing for the California Amendment, and this was well before the Ca SC ruling.

I too wish to understand why the opposition to equal treatment is so significant when dealing with marriage rules. A part of me thinks this anti-gay movement is an unintended consequence of the 2008 General Elections. I think that since the abortion debate was 'old news' some culture war enthusiasts decided to make 'anti-gay' the centerpiece of their movement for the 2008 elections. Drum up votes for the religious base.

And then it (Anti-gay crusade) just took a life of its own.

just my .02

There was a ballot initiative back in the year 2000 (Prop 22) that banned homosexuals legal marriage. It passed by a 61% margin. The CA Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional this year and started allowing gays the right to marry. When the religious right called for another proposition (Prop 8) to ban gay marriage the initiative was largely thought to fail as it had no support from the Democrats and no support from our Republican governor.

The church poured tons of money into supporting this prop though and managed to convince 52% of the population who voted on it so it passed...barely.

Hopefully, the CA Supreme Court will strike it down as unconstitutional...again...and the next time I doubt it will have enough support to pass.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: CME25
Joined just to say that Craig234's post, 12/31/2008 03:31 PM, just about says it all. Bravo.

Thank you for the kind words. That's the first time I recall seeing that.:)