Why Is my Multi-Proc System so Slow???

JokerJKNY

Apr 30, 2000
hey all,

i'm running a dual Athlon 2000+ setup with 1 gig of ram, and when i'm doing a few multitasking apps, things start to slow up a bit. sometimes, when i'm watching a DVD and surfing the net for example, it just doesnt feel as fast as my system should.

any benchline i can use to test my setup?

chsh1ca

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
Could be a few things. Make sure you have DMA enabled on your drives for the DVD playing. I see you're using fast SCSI disks, so they shouldn't be a problem. I have a single proc XP2000+ at home that can play DVDs and browse the net at the same time. Granted, that is on my custom Slackware Linux, but Windows XP should be able to handle it easily with dual processors.

KF

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
Umm... do the web pages load slower than 56K, or does the DVD take longer to finish? THG proved that DVDs play .01% faster on "Intel inside" equipment. You might try that.

You're kidding, right?

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
What kind of RAM? Bad RAM means unstability. OF course you might have a memory intensive app running in the background, which is the problem for me. I have a 1700+ on a AT7-MAX 2 and 512mb of HyperX RAM. 3 BitTorrents open brings my system to a grawl. And when I goto bed, 10 BitTorrents just sucks the life out of it.