Why is Left 4 Dead so popular?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
vs
or compaign with friends.

Key factors: playing with friends with mics, or with other good people you meet online with mics.

<3 L4D

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: shortylickens
I dont know about everyone else, but for me its good, simple, violent fun. The kind of shooting action we got back in the Serious Sam, Doom and Blood days. The kind of fun we dont see much of anymore.

<3 Serious Sam .. simple mindless killing with some humor thrown in :)

I nearly cried when Serious Sam 2 came out.. such a horrible game. It wasnt nearly as good as the first.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Koudelka
I dont know about everyone else, but for me its good, simple, violent fun. The kind of shooting action we got back in the Serious Sam, Doom and Blood days. The kind of fun we dont see much of anymore.

I nearly cried when Serious Sam 2 came out.. such a horrible game. It wasnt nearly as good as the first.

I agree.....I'll never forget the first time seeing those bomb guys running over that hill yelling lol.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Josh123
Originally posted by: Koudelka

I agree.....I'll never forget the first time seeing those bomb guys running over that hill yelling lol.

won't lie, the bomb guys gave me the creeps.

fishfrog

Feb 26, 2009
Serious Sam was about as mindless as it gets...but damned if it wasn't fun. I remember playing that on dialup in between Q2 CTF Laser Grapple matches.

SJP0tato

Aug 19, 2004
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Campaign mode is nice but the default Normal difficulty is getting way too easy, we need more servers set to Advanced by default, or perhaps even have Valve change the difficulty of each setting or even introduce a 5th level of difficulty.

Why not host your own game? Ask friends, or random people will usually show up quickly to join on any difficulty level.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Its the fact that it requires co-op play to suceed. In other shooter like Counter Strike a single player can (with enough skill) beat the other team single handedly. But in L4D you have to work together.