Question Why is LAN connection messing up internet access?

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Why is LAN connection messing up internet access? When I plug in an Ethernet cable to a NAS drive I loose some internet connectivity. Some websights won't load and some will. I am using wifi as my internet source but it seems like certain web addresses go to La La land and won't load when connected to LAN. When I unplug the cable, I get all my internet access back. The LAN has no internet access.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
At first glance, remove any DNS server or Gateway settings from the local ethernet fixed-IP connection to the NAS.

Other than that, Windows (consumer Windows editions) really don't quite like to be multi-homed.

You ARE using a different subnet, entirely, for your NAS unit, versus your Wifi local router LAN IP addresses, right?

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I have not checked all of them. The NAS is connected to a router but I have not checked to see if the NAS subnet is different than the WiFi one. I am running Win 7 pro. The NAS is a Synology 918+ and so far it has been a royal pain in the ass to deal with. Bought it for work and never used it. I got it working but it messes up internet access when it is connected.

Last edited:

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I just did that and the NAS won't connect. I am going through a router so I guess anything on the laptop I am using needs to be on a different sub net than the WiFi network? The router should handle the rest. Will the router autoswitch to the new sub net or do I need to change settings on it as well?

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I got it to work finally. I had to keep changing the IP address till it got to something that would connect. It seems that most of the apps for this thing will only work through the internet and I plan on using this on a closed network and it won't have internet access.

Can anyone recommend a NAS that like being on a closed network. I am looking for something that can take the place of the original Windows home server and don't not require a PHD it network communication. I don't use my network skills enough to be current and not forget what I did to make it work 2 yrs ago.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

You should disable the DHCP server however, since your router is already handing out dynamic IP addresses.

You also shouldn't set the NAS as the default gateway, which is wrong in the video.

Last edited: