Why is John McCain running ads in Los Angeles?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I'm watching television and some BS ad for John McCain comes on, telling me that he's never paid an electric bill.

Whatever.

Why even spend the money here? Who is RUNNING that campaign, anyhow?

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
I'm watching television and some BS ad for John McCain comes on, telling me that he's never paid an electric bill.

Whatever.

Sat TV by chance out of LA?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Whatever.

Never paid an electric bill? WTF?

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000

Whatever.

Are you sure that isn't a BHO ad?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Well, the basic question of my OP still applies - why in the world are they wasting their time and money running those spots here?

Nice sig, btw.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Well, the basic question of my OP still applies - why in the world are they wasting their time and money running those spots here?

Nice sig, btw.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Nice sig, btw.

I could say the same for NJ, I see anti-McCain ads on a fairly regular basis on the NYC stations, paid for by moveon.org, as if NJ/NY have a chance of going red.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481

Nice sig, btw.

I could say the same for NJ, I see anti-McCain ads on a fairly regular basis on the NYC stations, paid for by moveon.org, as if NJ/NY have a chance of going red.

New York/New Jersey has alot of the nations leaders in industry, sciency, religion, etc who regularly spend time there while mostly living in other parts of the country. The ads may be targeted towards them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If you're seeing an ad in a state you can't explain there are usually three reasons:

1.) Shared broadcast market with somewhere that IS competitive.
2.) National broadcast like the world series
3.) Cable channel that's the same everywhere, comedy central style.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: eskimospy
If you're seeing an ad in a state you can't explain there are usually three reasons:

1.) Shared broadcast market with somewhere that IS competitive.
2.) National broadcast like the world series
3.) Cable channel that's the same everywhere, comedy central style.

4.) Someone simply believes in putting forward today ideas that the eventual winner of that state will have to answer for.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Corbett
I nominate this thread for Self-Ownage of the year.

Nah. I was wrong about the sponsor - my bad. But like I said, the initial question still remains.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Corbett
I nominate this thread for Self-Ownage of the year.
Probably not - but good example of the usage of hyperbole.

extravagant exaggeration that represents something as much greater or less, better or worse, or more intense than it really is or that depicts the impossible as actual
Something we all need to watch. I'm sure you selflessly committed this so that others could learn from your mistake.