Why is it, Win10 64-bit off of USB takes less than 10 minutes to install to a desktop...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
but doing a major upgrade on one of those little Atom netbooks, takes... I dunno, 12 hours thus far?

Sheesh, Microsoft.

Linux updates nearly as quickly on my Atom netbook running Mint 18.3, as it does my desktop rigs. Why does Windows take SO much longer to update, on slower rigs. It's crazy.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Try installing MacOS on a 5400 rpm HDD. Makes Windows feel like greased lightning.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Linux updates nearly as quickly on my Atom netbook running Mint 18.3, as it does my desktop rigs. Why does Windows take SO much longer to update, on slower rigs. It's crazy.

Just as Formula 4 racing car is much faster (and looks more ""Sexy"") with its 400 cc Engine than a 18 Wheeler Trailer with 12000 cc engine.

On the other hand you can Not supply the monthly merchandize to a Costco outlet with a Formula 4.

:cool:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
At first, I must admit, I thought that you were going senile, and forgot Formula One. But it seems as though it is a thing (F4), and I was simply ignorant of it. Sorry, Jack.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Here is the thing....

1280px-Abarth_Tatuus_F4_T014_-_Mondial_de_l%27Automobile_de_Paris_2014_-_002.jpg

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Are you talking about, say, the Spring/Fall/Anniversary update? It is converting your entire Windows install to a backup image, installing the new version, then restoring all apps and files. On an atom and a 5400 RPM drive, I am sure that would take quite some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbhaag

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
...... On an atom an a 5400 RPM drive, I am sure that would take quite some time.

If your are lucky to have a 5400 hdd. dont some of those come with a flash hdd that is slow as well

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've moved my installers to 150MB/s patriot thumbdrives so it doesn't take long at all anymore to have a clean install of windows.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
No matter what there are big differences in install time between different kind of computers (In general Laptops Netbooks and the like being much slower then desktop).

Like mentioned above by Puffnstuff, after trying variety of USB flash drive I found this to be the best No matter what One is using it on.

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Supersonic-Boost-Flash-Drive/dp/B007JPVYFO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1532189125&sr=8-4&keywords=patriot+usb+flash+drive&th=1

Current ISO of Win 10 from Microsoft includes most version of Windows in one ISO.

So.. I use 8GB Drive, as mention above, and keep it until the Next major Upgrade for all uses that need to deal with Installation/Upgrades and the like of Win 10.

Live can be slightly easier for $14.99. ;)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Good thing you have so much free time! i imagine its for someone else or you would have put one of your "cheap SSD's" in there :p Or maybe it only has one storage space so a cheap ssd would cripple it with small storage. /Shrug Every time i have installed windows 10 on a laptop it flies, its just the random extended time when shutting down that ticks me off with windows 10 so far

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
No matter what there are big differences in install time between different kind of computers (In general Laptops Netbooks and the like being much slower then desktop).
Well even though my Asus Transformer is slow with its little atom the thumb drive does make it go much faster than hooking up an external optical drive.:D

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you want a decently-fast but cheap USB installation stick, check out the Adata Black/Yellow 16GB UV128 models, they are currently on special for 3x for $12.99 (+ship?), probably as a Combo deal, they're in the current Newegg e-mail special flyer.

Whenever they have a 3x for $$$ off combo deal, I stock up on a few sets, just to use for installers and stuff.

Note that in the past, there was a batch sold, that outright wouldn't work with Windows 10 at all, but would work with Windows 7 and Linux fine. (Weird!)

Also, the most recent batch I ordered, is FAILING with MS Media Creation Tool, when used Fresh. Solution, is to download Rufus, and either use that, or use it to WIPE the drive, writing zeros to the whole thing, and THEN using the MCT, then it seems to work. Apparently, you need to write to the whole drive to map out the weak/bad sectors first, because the MCT is finicky when it comes to the media you're writing to, for some reason.

Or just use MCT to download the .ISO, save it somewhere on your drive, and then use Rufus to write that to the USB stick.

Edit: I heard reviews and stories about how these smaller Adata drives are somewhat unreliable for repeated usage for storage, although that could be said about most cheaper USB flash drives.

But, for installation / write-once / read-mostly applications like OS installers, they are GREAT! Also, fairly speedy even with a USB2.0 port.

Last edited: