Why is it that people are compelled to point out the obvious?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Kindof like the song "Here's Your Sign" - it really is true. People point out what is blatantly obvious, and I sit here wondering... is there an obvious reason why? Maybe someone can point it out to me. :beer:

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Because stupid people can't think of anything else to say, and you gotta say somethin'.

Bigblades

Mar 17, 2004
I have a room mate who does that all the time, I always call him the "Master of the Obvious"

when I walked in the door today from school he said, "your home" - no reason, just a statement of fact as if it was something of which I was not aware.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Because everything you know is a lie. Nobody goes around pointing out that the sky is blue, or that cats chase mice, because everyone knows these things to be true. What is true does not need to be pointed out. Therefore all the most obvious things in our daily lives are a lie; a lie that needs to be constantly repeated in order for us to believe it. The Matrix has you, SunnyD!

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: lirion
Because everything you know is a lie. Nobody goes around pointing out that the sky is blue, or that cats chase mice, because everyone knows these things to be true. What is true does not need to be pointed out. Therefore all the most obvious things in our daily lives are a lie; a lie that needs to be constantly repeated in order for us to believe it. The Matrix has you, SunnyD!
Like pointing out how there's only one "e" in "lens"? :p

ZV

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Because people are stupid and sometimes people need to have the obvious pointed out to them.

Quite like this response infact :p

Greg03

Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Bigblades
I have a room mate who does that all the time, I always call him the "Master of the Obvious"

when I walked in the door today from school he said, "your home" - no reason, just a statement of fact as if it was something of which I was not aware.

Obvious: You need that pesky ' and an "e". Should be "you're home".

Here's a freebie so you don't get all pissy: supposebly.

You're welcome.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Greg03
Originally posted by: Bigblades

Obvious: You need that pesky ' and an "e". Should be "you're home".

Here's a freebie so you don't get all pissy: supposebly.

You're welcome.

Since we're on the subject of gramatical pet peeves - Centrifical is not a word.

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
"The theories that Ford Perfect had come up with, on his first encounter with human beings, to account for their peculiar habit of continualy stating and restating the very very obvious, as in 'It's a nice day,' or 'You're very tall,' or 'So this is it, we're all going to die.' His first theory was that if human beings don't keep exercising thier lips, thier mouths probably shriviled up. After a few months of observation he had come up with a second theory, which was this--'If human beings don't keep excercising their lips their brains start working.'"

--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Edit: Corrected the source. It was the second book.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Since we're on the subject of gramatical pet peeves - Centrifical is not a word.
Nope. But centrifugal is. Though there's no such thing as centrifugal force, it's just a manifestation of momentum when that momentum is combined with centripital force.

ZV