Why is it so important that we pay off the National Debt?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yata

Jun 2, 2000
Paying off the national debt has a more positive effect on the country than giving bigger tax breaks to the people.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
ehh...debt needs to payed.

once you get into the trillions, you gotta be in trouble- unless you're the U.S.
fortunately, the debt will be payed off within 10 years according to my calculations :)

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Our tax burden is as high as it is because of unlimited social spending by you left wingers.. not because of the national debt.

Shazam

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999

<< ehh...debt needs to payed >>

Yes, this is true. But there's no reason why a gov't couldn't just reborrow after they pay off a certain amount of debt :)

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< fortunately, the debt will be payed off within 10 years according to my calculations >>

My take is that with repubs. and dems. in power, this is not likely.

AngelOfDeath

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2000

<< Our tax burden is as high as it is because of unlimited social spending by you left wingers.. not because of the national debt >>

That's BS crimson. If you don't know Sh|t about economie then shut the f*ck up. Your statement was right out of the pocket of a politician.

<< ehh...debt needs to payed >>

Yeeees, but only in the long-run as the situation is right now the US can actually run deficits forever.

AoD ;)