why is it so hard to be content with who you are?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
It means giving up on trying to become better than you are, giving up ambition, acknowledging others are better than you.

And it means you aren't going to make the world better, that you have to be satisfied with all the misery it throws your way too.

billywiggins

Feb 26, 2004
Classic case of trying to keep up with the Jones', always wanting something more than what you have, not apprecaiting what you do have.

May 10, 2001
Because it means we end our want spiritual growth. Unfortunately many replace this for a desire for materialistic growth.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Depends what you're talking about. Often becoming "content with oneself" is akin to giving up on trying to better one's self.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Because it is hard to be the best you can be. And knowing you arn't doing your best, or not even close to it, is a very depressing concept.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
"why is it so hard to be content with who you are?"

It is a type of neuroses. One of the important steps towards good mental health is accepting oneself.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
People who can't accept who they are have low self esteem and don't have a spiritual side. That's all there is to it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It's funny that everyone is giving the right answer and they all conflict, because the question is so open-ended and not specific enough to really warrant an appropriate response.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
Because I don't have a billion dollars in the bank and I don't come home to Catherine Zeta-Jones every night.:(

Czesia

Nov 22, 2003
I have a copy of a quote from Plato at home (unfortunately, I could not find it on the net) that refers to this topic. I found it in a book called "The Pearl" and it referred to the importance of humans never being content with what they have. Basically, it called to mind that the reason why humans have advanced beyond any other species on this planet is because we always want more, and that by always wanting more, we have strived to uncover more and more about the world we live in. Has anyone else read this quote? It has sort of stuck with me since high school. So maybe it is not such a bad thing that people find it difficult to be content with who they are.

That's my two cents. :)

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
It means giving up on trying to become better than you are, giving up ambition, acknowledging others are better than you.

And it means you aren't going to make the world better, that you have to be satisfied with all the misery it throws your way too.

yep

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Because theres always a fvck who is better than you
Lol

But seriously I agree with this:

Because it is hard to be the best you can be. And knowing you arn't doing your best, or not even close to it, is a very depressing concept.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: billywiggins
Classic case of trying to keep up with the Jones', always wanting something more than what you have, not apprecaiting what you do have.
Nobody can keep up with me. I don't know why they bother even trying.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
i don't know. some dumbasses get too jealous of what other people have. they see their own life and how crappy it is, and they look at themselves and how digusting they are, and the only way they can get through their pathetic life is to nose around in other peoples.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Because I know I can do so much better than I am - yet I haven't any idea where to start...

Aside from forgetting ATOT ever existed...

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :beer:

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's funny that everyone is giving the right answer and they all conflict, because the question is so open-ended and not specific enough to really warrant an appropriate response.
ehh, I was just feeling crappy last night. I wasn't expecting any specific answers.

that being said, I'm surprised no one said anything along the lines of "because you're a loser."

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
The moment you become content with your accomplishments is the moment you stop taking small steps fowards, and large steps backwards