Why is it so freaking hard to find anything good?!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
My parents have a food processor that has to be at least 30 years old from a French company called Robot Coupe. I can remember them using it from when I was a small child in their home. They are still using this same processor today and it runs perfectly o_O

Wife and I have been through three food processors in the past five years or so, one cost $800 and was still a POS that broke down.

We should probably try one from that French company - they appear to still be around, but their comparable processors with the full range of speeds and attachments to what you see in most stores, go for around $3000 :eek: The price for real quality has gone up. We spent $2500 for a good espresso machine and that was on the low end of what was available...

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Capitalism provides the consumers what they want.

Welcome to cheap-ass consumers who would rather buy something cheap than spend a little more on quality.

Which only rarely means that those who _want_ quality cannot find it. Where the problem lies is with folks who feel that an X should cost $Y because all the commodity crap costs $Y. Then they go on a rant about how they can't find anything good.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Capitalism provides the consumers what they want.

Welcome to cheap-ass consumers who would rather buy something cheap than spend a little more on quality.

Well I think while there are various concepts that are associated with words capitalism is now more about generating the most profits possible instead of private property and enterprise. The words Libertarianism might now start to deal with what Western Individualism has often promoted as ideology. Keep in mind China is now considered by some to be an authoritarian capitalist state since it still keeps massive control over the country but much of the economy has shifted from pure state industry to a mixture of state and private companies who focus on generating huge profits in more Western type economical conduct.

Look at the words capitalism and libertarianism and you can see the root of the word capitalism is capital which mean money while the root of the word libertarianism is libre which means freedom.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Which only rarely means that those who _want_ quality cannot find it. Where the problem lies is with folks who feel that an X should cost $Y because all the commodity crap costs $Y. Then they go on a rant about how they can't find anything good.

Quality is harder to find, but it does exist. Due to the relative lack of demand for quality, those items are even more expensive than they might otherwise be due to smaller scale, but they're there if you want them.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I was going to say Starret, but even looking at the new ones most of them are plastic and made in China.

I bought some mini ViceGrips last year, but didn't realize they were made in China. I took them back, and got some from HarborFreight until I find a used American set. I'm not paying American made prices, for Chinese crap. It was $13 for the ViceGrip brand, and ~$2.50 for the HarborFreight set. The ones I got are crappier, but sufficient for the time being. I only buy Chinese if it's the only option, and don't support companies that sell out to make shareholders more money. Shareholders can eat a bag of dicks AFAIC.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well i think while there are various concepts that are associated with words capitalism is now more about generating the most profits possible instead of private property and enterprise. The words Libertarianism might now start to deal with what Western Individualism has often promoted as ideology. Keep in mind China is now considered by some to be an authoritarian capitalist state since it still keeps massive control over the country but much of the economy has shifted from pure state industry to a mixture of state and private companies who focus on generating huge profits in more Western type economical conduct.

Look at the words capitalism and libertarianism and you can see the root of the word capitalism is capital which mean money while the root of the word libertarianism is libre which means freedom.

I'm not exactly sure what you're going on about...

Are you saying that capitalism is responsible for cheap goods?

You do realize that it was capitalism that used to create high quality goods, don't you?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm not exactly sure what you're going on about...

Are you saying that capitalism is responsible for cheap goods?

You do realize that it was capitalism that used to create high quality goods, don't you?

Dude, Norse is just crazy. I recommend you not take his posts too seriously.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You think TridenTboy actually needs heavy duty construction grade tape measure? Like how often you think he'll use the tape measure? Once a month? Even $10 Stanley is overkill for TridenT. It'll last him a lifetime. He'll lose it before it breaks given his need. $20-35 Milwaukee or DeWalt would be waste of money.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
False. A company chooses its own margins. If the consumer isn't willing to pay that much for the product, it's not the company's fault.
Understood, however, was it the unwillingness of the consumers to pay, that led Levi's to close the mills here, and produce an inferior product elsewhere, at an even higher price? And just who has replaced them with the quality of fabric they once produced?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Understood, however, was it the unwillingness of the consumers to pay, that led Levi's to close the mills here, and produce an inferior product elsewhere, at an even higher price? And just who has replaced them with the quality of fabric they once produced?

boutique jean/denim companies offering a higher quality product at 3 digit price points. Levi's still makes made in america jeans, you just gotta pay $148 for them.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Just have to be smart about what you buy. Most of the time, you can find high-quality items for what you need. Other times... be creative or make it yourself.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
'silicone whisk' - are you trying to beat stuff in a teflon pan? just buy the cheapest teflon pan and use a regular stainless whisk.

this nobody gives zero fucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU

a lot of drill bits work alright as long as you have the feed/speed right. total trash you can tell just from the packaging/way they look in the light.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
you guys using drywall screws for stuff?

Nope - just your standard 2.5" and 3" wood screws from Lowes or HD.
I actually went to double check the boxes as I still have a couple left and it seems I was slightly wrong. Looks like I used the square drive Grip rites and those worked ok. Still hate the philips head ones

I still prefer the dry lube ones though. So fast and easy to use...

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I don't feel like anything I own has any lasting value. Not a single physical item I have right now is going to be (able to be) passed down to my children, at least not that I can think of off the top of my head. Everything is disposable. Even my car (Kia) - I'm pretty sure I won't have after 10 years. It's just how things are today...and a lot of times it's not cost-effective to fix it yourself, and in some cases you can't even fix it yourself at all.

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
Should have mentioned it's for my RC gear. Problem with the hex ones is you got to torque the cylinder heads on the engine block. Usually with four screws. But they all use this soft metal that strips easily if you're not careful.

RC is one of those special cases. You've got aluminum screws for weight savings. You could switch to steel. Those will weigh more, be harder to strip, and might be cheaper.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I guess its a long winded way of saying I put more stock in the negative reviews, provided there is some substance to what they are complaining about.
Agreed.

And yet another recommendation for garage sales, auctions, etc. One of my friends on Facebook posted a picture of his new riding lawnmower. One of the comments to him was, "that's a good brand, I had one and it lasted for 15 years." My response was "My riding mower was manufactured in 1968. It'll still be working like brand new 15 years from now." <-- Another example of a tool purchased at an auction. I think I paid $150 for it. To give an idea of how much it had been used, the rear tires were completely worn out. Killed me that new tires for my lawnmower cost as much as new tires for my car.