Why is ID an issue?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Thats because I made several points are you are not wise enough to understand them.

Stop assuming.

Read what I actually said.

THINK about what I actually said.

Dont assume.

True, I'm not American or in the US - but there's analogous talk about 'voter ID' here (motivated by much the same agenda - suppressing the vote). And I get by perfectly well without ID. In the distant past I had a passport and used that for things, but for a very long time I've not needed such an ID to get by day-to-day. I probably did need one when I first got a bank account, but that was many decades ago, and I vaguely think I showed them my birth certificate.

I think you'll find even in the US many people manage quite well day-to-day without any of the kind of IDs that are talked about with regard to voting.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Thats because I made several points are you are not wise enough to understand them.

Stop assuming.

Read what I actually said.

THINK about what I actually said.

Dont assume.

I stand by my post. If you want to stand by your ignorance that’s on you but it’s not a good look for you.

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
The whole voter id requirement is a deterrant for some low income people. If they lose their ssn card or birth certificate - getting a replacement can be a burden for them if they are foreign born or from Amerikkka. They have to pay a fee to obtain that document from far away.

Those who got it made in the shade don't worry much about having or getting a driver's license. Heck - Your house caught on fire last week. This Tuesday is a special election in your district. Will you be able to get that replacement in time? I doubt it. If you got fired from your job three months before your license expired and can't find another job to pay the for a license or a replacement. Will the voter get to vote? No! Sounds like a poll tax without the polling place disclosing that to the voter.

People act like everybody's wallet and purse are filled to the same level or their just dreaming! Or just because it is a requirement - people just have to comply no matter their financial situation.

One of America's biggest problems - lack of compassion and empathy.

They should have a whole English class period on that subject. While there at it - Add First Aid and Life Saving, Consumer Education and Financial Education.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I might get behind vote ID laws, if as part of it a federal ID system is set up. At some point in public schooling (maybe high school) time is dedicated to creating photo ID for all students, with generous allowance for absence. Everyone can go online to update info and photo throughout their lives. This goes to federal database with other personal info, SSN, taxes, driver's license, passport, benefits, unemployment, banking, etc. Anytime your ID must be verified, all info is available to trusted parties.

Tax filing would be thing of the past (like in most civilized countries), as the IRS already gets your info and can very well fill all that out themselves, and automatically wire you a refund/bill. They know where you live, work, and keep your assets (they ofc already that now, just aren't allowed to do it)
Driver's license can be sent in the mail after taking the test. No more reason to go to DMV.
Passports can be sent after an application.
Food stamps, unemployemnt and other benfits can be sent automatically, insteady of humiliating people by forcing them to stand in line.

(And please don't come with some "I don't want to give the government this info!". They already have all this! It's just not gathered and used for anything that benefits the citizens)

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
Countless revered Americans showed up at the polls for centuries without ID. Countless nobody Americans who simply lived their lives and died one day showed up and voted and no one asked them for ID. Everyone who showed up in person was a neighbor of the people working the station and could vouch for their neighbors.

Show me what problem this solves.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Countless revered Americans showed up at the polls for centuries without ID. Countless nobody Americans who simply lived their lives and died one day showed up and voted and no one asked them for ID. Everyone who showed up in person was a neighbor of the people working the station and could vouch for their neighbors.

Show me what problem this solves.
Yet the rest of the civilized world has madatory photo ID when voting and we have no issues of voter suppression.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I do have a current Driver's license with a photo because I have a car. If I didn't need my photo ID to get a parking permit or open a new bank account because I happened to switch banks in the last few years, I really haven't needed my photo ID for pretty much anything else in a while. Take the car out of the equation, and if you are happy with your bank, a lot of poorer folks won't need to keep a current photo ID for anything. If I was living with other folks and the utilities were in their name, very common also in poorer and especially urban areas, there goes another proof of address ID. I live alone so of course I have an internet bill, a utilities bill, etc...

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I do have a current Driver's license with a photo because I have a car. If I didn't need my photo ID to get a parking permit or open a new bank account because I happened to switch banks in the last few years, I really haven't needed my photo ID for pretty much anything else in a while. Take the car out of the equation, and if you are happy with your bank, a lot of poorer folks won't need to keep a current photo ID for anything. If I was living with other folks and the utilities were in their name, very common also in poorer and especially urban areas, there goes another proof of address ID. I live alone so of course I have an internet bill, a utilities bill, etc...

The possibilities for why one wouldn’t need an ID in modern times is endless. The fact that some people can’t imagine such a scenario says more about them than anything.

If solving a virtually non existent problem disenfranchises hundreds of thousands of people in the name of securing our democracy, then exactly how has our democracy been safeguarded?