Why is every Deplorable I know butt hurt at Coke?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yea, I dunno what the problem is. I don't get too bent up about the pronoun thing. I find it an interesting change in society.

- Yeah, my biggest issue with the pronoun thing has actually been people trying to make the pronoun thing an issue. I think everyone has encountered one:

Me: "Anyway, I delegated some work to her (MtF) and instead of following my instructions she decided to go do her own thing and now I'm going to have to meet with her and see what went wrong. How hard is it to follow instructions?"

Person who has issues with trans people: "You mean HE and HIM"

Me: "Do you have any constructive feedback on my issue or we going to do the gender pronoun game for the next 15 minutes?"

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
A similar stupidity drives me nuts. The "preferred pronoun" crap.

Until recently I taught at a community college as a part-time gig after I retired. Money was crazy good. There was a format required in our signature on emails for anything we sent out, even down to the font and size. Stuff that makes sense, name, title, office location, phone, etc. There was also a place to list 'your' preferred pronouns.

I recently had the need to exchange emails with people in the county health department in my quest to find out how to schedule my second COVID vaccination. Several of those that did respond had "preferred pronouns listed in their signature line.

I wish I knew the pronouns for the people I send emails to. I don't know them enough to actually guess. Just have a name to go by. So, uhh.... freaking mine field. I'd rather know up front and be correct. Otherwise I resort to not even using pronouns at all.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I wish I knew the pronouns for the people I send emails to. I don't know them enough to actually guess. Just have a name to go by. So, uhh.... freaking mine field. I'd rather know up front and be correct. Otherwise I resort to not even using pronouns at all.

It's a thing that you won't notice until you encounter it, and then it's just best not to get agitated and change a little.

If you're sending emails and nobody has said anything, then you haven't encountered it.

I agree with you though, just be up front and I'll do my best to adhere to the preferred pronoun. No big deal.

I think it will be easier as the younger generation comes up, us mid-lifers and up came up with strong sex-2-gender correlation (it seems), so it's a bit more effort to hold your tongue and make your brain choose the accurate / preferred pronoun.

I'd say that young people should keep this in mind, but I was a young person at one time and seeing things from others perspective wasn't always a strong suit of mine.

my .02

Reactions: Jaskalas

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
- Yeah, my biggest issue with the pronoun thing has actually been people trying to make the pronoun thing an issue. I think everyone has encountered one:

Me: "Anyway, I delegated some work to her (MtF) and instead of following my instructions she decided to go do her own thing and now I'm going to have to meet with her and see what went wrong. How hard is it to follow instructions?"

Person who has issues with trans people: "You mean HE and HIM"

Me: "Do you have any constructive feedback on my issue or we going to do the gender pronoun game for the next 15 minutes?"

Fortunately don't see that too much at work because its a professional work environment in NYC.

However, my age group (45+) seems to be filled with people who apparently have nothing better to do than get worked up over Transgender people and the whole pronoun thing.
I've started compiling a list of asshole responses to when they through a hissy fit.
Them (Friends with daughters or female friends) - "What's going to happen to girls sports!!!"
Me - "It's a good opportunity to show these girls that they will never be better than men. So its a good thing!! (Raises hand for high five)"

Them - "I don't know what we are allowed to call them!!!"
Me - "You try their first name?"

List is much longer...I'm in the middle of cleaning