Why is colo hosting more expensive than renting a dedicated server in the US?

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
I can't seem to find any reasonably priced colocation services in the US when compared to renting a dedicated server. Shouldn't colo services by their very nature be cheaper?

I'd like to build my own server to get the exact configuration i need and just pay for bandwidth but I simply can't find anything reasonable.

My requirements:
Gigabit connection
40TB of bandwidth monthly
2U space

Any ideas? google is doing me no good in this regard.

remixedcat

Aug 28, 2010
remixedcat.blogspot.com
colocation gives you more control and the way that the colocation data centers are provisioned and billed they typically charge higher rates. However you typically get more B/W, as most of the customers that utilize this are small hosting companies that resell the servers.

Also what geographical region would you like to co-locate to? If you would please let us know we can further assist. thanks.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
colocation gives you more control and the way that the colocation data centers are provisioned and billed they typically charge higher rates. However you typically get more B/W, as most of the customers that utilize this are small hosting companies that resell the servers.

Also what geographical region would you like to co-locate to? If you would please let us know we can further assist. thanks.

Anywhere in the midwest of the US.

cmetz

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2001
I can't seem to find any reasonably priced colocation services in the US when compared to renting a dedicated server. Shouldn't colo services by their very nature be cheaper?

Different customer segments with different levels of expectation vs. price sensitivity. Dedicated servers are for folks who need "a server" - colocation are for folks who need "this exact server."