Why is America still using unautomated banking to such a great degree?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The '80's called, they want their ATM back!

Direct Pay! I'll go to an ATM a couple times a year for a 20, but usually I just pay with my bank card(Credit Union). I live in the middle of nowhere and every store has Direct Pay, half of them ask if you want some cash too.

Maharaja

Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Here is what I don't understand. If I make a cash only deposit via ATM, how can I be sure, that some bank worker doesn't skim off a $50 and says that I put the wrong amount in the envelope.

Ok I read through this whole thread cuz I was sure someone would say it, but I didn't see it anywhere. Maybe my bank is special but when I make a deposit at the ATM I get a receipt back from the machine that says how much I deposited. If $50 is missing from my deposit, I can bring that receipt with me and complain.

Wduaqnug

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2002
yeah but atm machine doesnt count how much you deposited, that receipt indicates how much you allegedly deposited. Usually deposits by being opened by two people with cameras and stuff

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I go through the drive-thru to cash my wife's expense checks(they can't be direct deposited) and get our cash for the month.

I can't stand paying ATM fees and then requesting refunds from my online bank.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: theNEOone
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I have a lot harder time keeping track of my spending when I use a debit card, @ least with a check I have a localized paper trail, those damn debit card reciepts are all over the house, my pockets, billfold...

Anyone have a good way to keep track of the little slips of paper?

Oh yeah, there's a freaking ATM every place I go to, but they won't all let me make deposits. My bank specific ones are handy for that though...

it's called ONLINE BANKING!!!!!

I've been doing online banking & trading for years, it takes up to 3 days for the charges to get cleared & posted, by then I've forgotten to do anything.

I really like the way my bank scans the checks & has a jpg file of the actual check online, anyone else's bank do that too?

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
Some people still prefer human interaction.

Unless I'm in a hurry, I prefer to walk inside the bank for most transactions. I can talk with Caroline, ask how Joe and the kids are doing, find out who will be attending an upcoming party, leave notice to Bill that my truck is fixed if he still needs to borrow it, and so on. I also met and got to know Greg, the loan officer, during my regular visits. This probably made subsequent loan approvals quicker, easier and enabled me to get them at the best available rates without haggling.

You don't get a lollipop from the ATM either.

Electronic isn't necessarily better.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
yet another uninformed generalization about life in the USA by someone from canuckistan.

your basic premise is flawed, so no answer to your question is posiible. however the following commentary comes to mind:

we revel in personal freedom....
freedom to bank using an ATM,
freedom to bank using a teller (i prefer to deposit checks with a teller, get cash from an ATM)

i prefer having a choice...

i generally don't have/use cash (keep running out when ever i have some..pesky kids keep bumming cash off of me)
i generally use credit cards..
i don't carry checks (to bulky)

i know some people that only use cash..
i know some people that like using checks...

to each his/her own i say.

i am at a loss as to how one's personal banking fetish translates into having a "much better country"

i think you started this thread just to press some buttons and get people cheesed off..

Wow, you took this pretty personal.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
heartsurgeonEasy with the flag waving.
i am at a loss as to how one's personal banking fetish translates into having a "much better country"
Skoorb: you hate foreigners saying how much better their country is and I'm not doing that. You say you prefer having a choice but banking resources are finite. Clearly if one bank makes a human teller that means less cash for an ATM. More ATMs means less human telling so a trade off has to be made somewhere.

Millennium what happened with the cash you depositied and also pulled out that time? Did you get it back...?

I assure you I wasn't trying to make it personal. When it's personal you'll know because I'll be asking where the hell the Tim Hortons are in the US (and yes I know there are a scant few up north, but not any down here!)!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Wduaqnug
Another thing ATMS are rip off in FL in tourist places like Ft Lauderdale $3
That's true but with a few beer down the hatch what's $3 :p

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
heartsurgeonEasy with the flag waving.
Skoorb: you hate foreigners saying how much better their country is and I'm not doing that. You say you prefer having a choice but banking resources are finite. Clearly if one bank makes a human teller that means less cash for an ATM. More ATMs means less human telling so a trade off has to be made somewhere.

Millennium what happened with the cash you depositied and also pulled out that time? Did you get it back...?

I assure you I wasn't trying to make it personal. When it's personal you'll know because I'll be asking where the hell the Tim Hortons are in the US (and yes I know there are a scant few up north, but not any down here!)!

Didn't get it back either time. I was screwed.

Mar 15, 2003
Wow.. There are like 10 ATMS within 1/5th of a mile of me.. Where the hell do you live? I actually like going to a teller sometimes - it's quicked to deposit cash that way (instantly goes into your account).. Well, if I had cash to deposit.. Sigh.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
1. Businesses like to have their deposits credited to their account ASAP. This means using a Teller unless you're sure that your bank credits ATM deposits the same day.

2. As previously mentioned, ATM's don't do cashier's checks, AMEX Travelers/Gift Cheques, or other special stuff.

3. My dad can't even set the time on his VCR. I shudder to think about what would happen if he tried to use an ATM.

4. If you don't use your own bank's ATMs, you usually get charged a fee. It seems to be about $2.00 on average around here. Most banks don't charge for using a Teller...yet.

5. What do you expect from people who still prefer to use the English system of measurement?

BTW, if you deposit a check into an ATM owned by a bank that is different from yours, you may have to wait up to 10 days for the credit. That's the official rules, although if you're lucky you'll get credited next day or so.

I prefer using ATM's for cash withdrawals. I prefer using Tellers for cash deposits.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I guess now i need to make a thread questioning why so many people still fail to do direct deposit. A guy at my office still gets a CHECK in the mail twice a month. Freaking insane! And then he goes to the bank...HELLO 21st century!!!

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I know you hate foreigners saying how much better their country is and I'm not doing that but I am saying that Canada has had ATMs for YEARS EVERYWHERE. I am still, in the year of our Lord two thousand and three, seeing people go through drive through banking and requiring the use of a human bank teller on the other end. Infact one bank I drove past today has no ATM but only human banking (including a human-telled drive through).

I'm not even going to start with the checks because that's another thread altogether.

I don't know what you're talking about. I come from a small California town of 15,000 and we have almost no manned drive-up tellers. They're almost all ATM.

Not that manned tellers are bad. When depositing checks, I trust live people with my money more than an ATM in the middle of nowhere.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
I usually use an ATM because its convinent, but I refuse to use another bank's ATM - I once payed $4 in fees to get out $40 - ridculous! I work at Eckerds, and many people still pay with checks, its a pain, because I have to get the DL number, but oh well, I'm paid by the hour :) Debit cards are the very best, where they put in the PIN, no work for me..I kinda wish my credit cards had PIN so i didnt have to sign. I did try using my ATM only card (i refuse to carry a check card because of the horror stories) at Eckerds and my Chase one worked fine, but my Wells Fargo one is evidently only an ATM one, even though it has the Cirrus logo on it. Oh well. Oh yeah, just my rambling..and Eckerds only pays by checks that i know of, so no direct deposit for me. Direct deposit only makes sense if your getting paid the same each month (which obviously isn't the case for hourly employees).

I see checks sticking around for a while, as well as tellers, gotta deposit cash with them (never really thought about this before I read that thread on this board, but now I only deposit cash with them).

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
I write checks to keep track of my spending, whats nice about my checks is that they have a carbonless copy so I have a copy of any of the checks I've written. if I'm buying groceries, I'll usually pay cash, or pay via my check card, but if I am paying by check, I'm filling it out as they are scanning my goods, that way all I have to fill in is the total and write it, then hand them the check. unless their like super anal about Driver's licence numbers, phone number, crap like that, but to remedy I've had my bank print my ODL # (oregon drivers licence) on my checks. usually its the store's check policy holding you up, and not the check writer themselves and thats because of the stupid idiots who write bad check...god how I would love to kill those basterds. If I know the place is a pain in the ass about checks, I don't write them there.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
I don't trust nor need to use ATM's or online banking. I like going to the bank, a whole 1 min from my house and making a deposit and getting a receipt back. If I need to make changes, I go and talk to one of the bankers and then get a receipt of what was done. The key word in all of this is RECEIPT. ATM's are useless for me.