Why I Steam example #7462

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
The other day I picked up HalfLife game of The Year Edition at a second hand store for $1.99.

I registered the key with Steam and it automatically installed the following games:
HalfLife
Counter Strike
Team Fortress
Day Of Defeat
Deathmatch Classic
HalfLife Opposing Force
Ricochet &
Half Life BlueShift

Woot!

So It's not so much that I love Steam but it seems that every other day Steam comes up with yet another way to tell me how much it loves me.

♥♥♥

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Not quite sure what that has to do with Steam.
You bought a game, and you got the ability to play the games you paid for, as well as some free mods that have been around since before Steam existed.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Not quite sure what that has to do with Steam.
You bought a game, and you got the ability to play the games you paid for, as well as some free mods that have been around since before Steam existed.

With two clicks it downloaded, installed and updated them all.
Ever try to find a patch for an old game? How about eight?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah, it is nice. Valve made all the original HL and HL GOTY keys give the person a HL platinum like pack as a way of saying thanks.

Apr 17, 2005
i remember getting all these for just my opposing forces key way back on the 1st day of steams official release. i had an account since beta.

Dec 30, 2004
This thread needs more troll.

Steam is Valve DRM. Eat it up like you would Securom.

agree, though updating is nice, I can't sell any games.
But most of the games I would buy on steam are cheap purchases that I would not be able to sell for more than $3 anyhow.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
This thread needs more troll.

Steam is Valve DRM. Eat it up like you would Securom.
Identifying similarities between two goods does not mean they are the same thing. You probably already know how steam and securom differ, so you succeeded at adding more trolling to the thread.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I feel ripped off. My copy of HL1 didn't come with Counter Strike, DoD, Riccochet, or Death Match Classic.

:(

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
My standard copy of Half Life 2 came with all of that stuff when I picked it up a month or so after release. Generous perhaps, but I still dislike digital distribution in all forms.

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
agree, though updating is nice, I can't sell any games.
But most of the games I would buy on steam are cheap purchases that I would not be able to sell for more than $3 anyhow.

PC games have been like this for years. Ever since they started making you attach an account to the serial key.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
PC games have been like this for years. Ever since they started making you attach an account to the serial key.
I don't know of any boxed games that tie the serial to an account, aside from the multiplayer portions of a few games.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I need to check what steam will let me download then. I have HL1 Classic and H2 that I bought about the time it came out. If I can get the two HL1 expansions for free that would be very cool.