Why I pretend I don't know anything about computers (COMIC)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I help out my immediate family because, well... you just should. Yeah it's a pin in the ass sometimes but then I can ask my sister (who is a vet) advice about pets or have my dad help me replace a few things around the house (countertops, fixtures, etc)

I also help a few close friends but only the ones I worked with and they understand the situation from being around myself and other 'techies' when we complain about some of the people we have to deal with

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I have an aunt that used to call me at least weekly with some computer grief or question. Over the years I have probably spent man-weeks of effort removing spyware and crapware from her computer only to have her download the same crap again next month.

Fortunately she made friends with someone in the building who is helping her now so I don't get the calls. My parents and sibling don't own computers, so they don't call which is good.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
I told my mother to get a Mac.

I told my aunt, uncle, and cousins the same thing and it worked! I don't know a thing about macs, so now I can't help them when they have problems. Its great!

For everyone else, I offer to fix a problem once. I tell the person that they need to pay attention so they can fix it the next time. Teach a man to fish...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

I've seen staff express the opinion of our tech department that they should know every last little function in every program that has ever been made, or is yet to be created. (These are usually the type of people who say things like "okay, I know how to open up a Word document, edit it, and save it. But, how do I open an Excel document and save it?") I printed that comic out & they've taped it to their door.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
This is how it usually goes down:

"Hey, you know about computers and stuff, right?"
"No I don't, you must be mistaken"

Simple as that. :p

I will do stuff for a few family members and friends who I know won't take advantage of me. But everyone else is on their own.

Dec 10, 2005
I help immediate family. I provide advice on what steps could be taken for close friends. Beyond that, it's I don't know anything about computers, I'm busy, or I never encountered their problem and thus can't help them.