Why I HATE Group Labs

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
I'm a junior in college and today in lab we had to have groups of 3-4 people (first group lab since intro chem). I hate lab groups because i have been doing college level labs since i was in my sophmore year of high school; therefore, the other people are always the weakest link. Well today in lab i was doing the majority of the work (I would have finished the lab in 2 hours by myself (3 hour lab)) and another group member fuqed up the calibration on our spectophotometer right before we could test our product (2.5 hours into the lab). And because of that we had to do it all over again (analytical chemisty means .01% error in labs). Well of course the other two people had class right after lab so i had to do the lab by myself. It took me 1.5 hours (4 hours total) and then i even made the excel spread sheet with all the data and 6 graphs and emailed them to the other people and what thanks do i get? NONE. That's just plain BS. I told my TA today, that i'm not working with groups again this year no matter what and he knew i was pissed.

Ahh venting anger through the keyboard, much better than swallowing it and having it explode somewhere or on someone :Q

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
same goes with computer science... i feel ya... and now i'm going into this coming quarter worried about my friends who want to be in my group because i'm always the one doing the most work... they always have excuses that would force me to do the lab all alone.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
How the hell did you go from a Lab class from sophmore year in HS to a Community College? Don't you think maybe there aren't that many bright people in community college's? (im generalizing for time constraints)

If your so much better than them switch schools, Brown University, Rutgers, Michigan State, Cornell, NYU.. etc.. why limit your opportunities working with other people who clearly don't have the same focus and drive as you.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJelly
I'm a junior in college and today in lab we had to have groups of 3-4 people (first group lab since intro chem). I hate lab groups because i have been doing college level labs since i was in my sophmore year of high school; therefore, the other people are always the weakest link. Well today in lab i was doing the majority of the work (I would have finished the lab in 2 hours by myself (3 hour lab)) and another group member fuqed up the calibration on our spectophotometer right before we could test our product (2.5 hours into the lab). And because of that we had to do it all over again (analytical chemisty means .01% error in labs). Well of course the other two people had class right after lab so i had to do the lab by myself. It took me 1.5 hours (4 hours total) and then i even made the excel spread sheet with all the data and 6 graphs and emailed them to the other people and what thanks do i get? NONE. That's just plain BS. I told my TA today, that i'm not working with groups again this year no matter what and he knew i was pissed.

Ahh venting anger through the keyboard, much better than swallowing it and having it explode somewhere or on someone :Q

So let me get this straight, you have been doing everyone else's work for four years now [cause you're da big brain in the group of course]? What address can I send mine too, it's Friday tomorrow and I got drinking to do?

Thanks man!

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: KGB
How the hell did you go from a Lab class from sophmore year in HS to a Community College? Don't you think maybe there aren't that many bright people in community college's? (im generalizing for time constraints)

If your so much better than them switch schools, Brown University, Rutgers, Michigan State, Cornell, NYU.. etc.. why limit your opportunities working with other people who clearly don't have the same focus and drive as you.

I am a junior in college. I go to UW Madison and I said college level labs. My high school, was the best public school in Wisconsin and their science department is way above average. So i have ~5 years of college level labs.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002

Did I miss the part where he said he was in community college?

Anyway, yeah, that fvcking sucks.
I absolutely HATED group projects when I was getting my CS degree.
I understand that they are trying to get you to work in a team environment and everything, but wtf?
It sucks to do twice the work and get the same amount of credit.

But the bottome line is that you probably just have to suck it up and do the work if you want the grade.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Shanti

Did I miss the part where he said he was in community college?

Anyway, yeah, that fvcking sucks.
I absolutely HATED group projects when I was getting my CS degree.
I understand that they are trying to get you to work in a team environment and everything, but wtf?
It sucks to do twice the work and get the same amount of credit.

But the bottome line is that you probably just have to suck it up and do the work if you want the grade.

and that is the bottom line

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
yeah dont you wish u could just say, "you suck. get out of my group and take whoever you want with you."

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I what pray tell are you gonna do when in the real world you get partnered up on a project and have the same situation as your lab group?

you better start learnign to deal wiht it and delegate responsible if your the head brain in your group...cuz if you dont think there are moron slackers in the real world work enviroment your in for a big surprise.

consider this your practice time before u graduate and land a job.